Am I eating enough?

Options
Hello everyone!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful day so far. :)

So here's what I'm looking at,
I am 19 years old, 5'4, and about 160lbs? I've changing my eating habits for a few months and I was wondering if I was on track. So, according to my fitnesspal my goal is to eat 1260 calories. I've been eating a vegetable filled omelet for breakfast(Usually if not, it's oatmeal) and a cereal with fruit for the other two meals.(Either that or a soup or salad) I easily eat about 1100 calories everyday but exercise on a elliptical for an hour and it comes and burn about 600 calories.

i usually have 700 calories left over I don't use. Is this a bad thing? Should I exercise less or eat more? Or should I keep doing what I have been doing?

Any help would be wonderful.

Replies

• ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    You should be eating more than cereal so you can get more nutrients into your diet.
  • MinyMinnie
    Options
    Hello thank you for the response!

I actually forgot to mention I snack on fruit and sometimes a fiber bar. :)
  • ashdawg8790
    Options
    What kind of cereal are you eating??
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I'm 25, 5'4, 149 ish and eating 1800 calories and the scale is moving in the right direction.
    I eat pastas, fruits, meats, treats, ect.
  • MinyMinnie
    Options
    Kellogg's whole grain cinnamon toast crunch with silk natural soymilk. :)
  • MinyMinnie
    Options
    Thank you for your response as well!

Do you exercise?
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Yes I exercise about 4-5 times a week. 30 mins cardio and weights. I could still easily be losing weight at 1800 calories a day without working out as my TDEE is 2500 not including exercise.
  • ashdawg8790
    Options
    Sounds yummy but not enough variety. I'm 5'4" and I eat around 1700-1800 calories per day. I weigh 127 or so but my diary is public if you want to see it. Today was a Ramen day so disregard that. ;) Otherwise, usually I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, whole grains, etc. I don't eat much cereal... I do eat the occasional cookie though. :) I don't exercise much either and I don't gain much weight unless I go way over on my calories... It's all about balance.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Hi smilingkiddo,

Firstly, have you worked out your BMR and TDEE? BMR (Basal metabolic rate) is the calories you would burn if you lie in bed all day and not move, its the amount of energy you need for your body to keep working. TDEE (Total daily energy expediture) is the average amount of calories you would need to maintain your weight.

I have used this calculator to figure out your numbers
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Your BMR is: 1547
    Your TDEE is: 2398 (I based this off you being moderately active 3 -5x a week)
    Daily calories: 1918

You should be eating 1918 calories a day.
  • labellecanuck
    labellecanuck Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to listen to your body. If you're always feeling tired and energy depleted, you're probably not eating enough.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Honey, you need more protein throughout the day. I don't know how you're functioning on a carb heavy diet. If I don't eat enough protein I'm STARVING!
  • MinyMinnie
    Options
    Honey, you need more protein throughout the day. I don't know how you're functioning on a carb heavy diet. If I don't eat enough protein I'm STARVING!

Hello!

I think the energy comes from the sausage I put in the omelet (With TONS of vegetables) and the tea I drink breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I do get hungry and I'll eat an apple but my friend said it's better to go to sleep a little hungry.
  • MinyMinnie
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to listen to your body. If you're always feeling tired and energy depleted, you're probably not eating enough.
    Now that you mention it I do feel a little tired now and days but this has just started recently and I've been doing this for a while. Thank you for your input!
  • MinyMinnie
    Options
    Sounds yummy but not enough variety. I'm 5'4" and I eat around 1700-1800 calories per day. I weigh 127 or so but my diary is public if you want to see it. Today was a Ramen day so disregard that. ;) Otherwise, usually I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, whole grains, etc. I don't eat much cereal... I do eat the occasional cookie though. :) I don't exercise much either and I don't gain much weight unless I go way over on my calories... It's all about balance.
    I appreciate your help! I will take a look at that! :)
  • MinyMinnie
    Options
    Hi smilingkiddo,

Firstly, have you worked out your BMR and TDEE? BMR (Basal metabolic rate) is the calories you would burn if you lie in bed all day and not move, its the amount of energy you need for your body to keep working. TDEE (Total daily energy expediture) is the average amount of calories you would need to maintain your weight.

I actually have not done that. Although that seems like a lot of calories for me to eat. Why does my fitness pal say I should be eating about 1200 calories per day? Thank you for your help! :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi smilingkiddo,

I actually have not done that. Although that seems like a lot of calories for me to eat. Why does my fitness pal say I should be eating about 1200 calories per day? Thank you for your help! :)

1. That is before exercise
    2. You probably put an aggressive weight loss goal like 2 lbs per week

With 30 lbs to lose, you will be lucky to lose 1 lb per week.
  • RMNPHike
    RMNPHike Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You really mustn't cut your calories so low! You will wreck your metabolism. I know - I have done it and it is a slooooooooow recovery once you fall into that trap. The MFP recommended daily calories are good advice, and you have to have extra on the days you exercise or you will not lose weight properly - you might lose a bunch fast but it will be so much easier to gain it back if you have starved yourself. I have been following the guidelines for the most part and have lost 4 pounds in 2.5 weeks. You probably can lose even faster if you have more weight to lose (I was only trying to lose 14 pounds). I've done every diet on the planet, and not all of them were healthy. Take it from me - DON'T UNDER EAT!
  • MinyMinnie
    Options
    Hi smilingkiddo,

1. That is before exercise
    2. You probably put an aggressive weight loss goal like 2 lbs per week

With 30 lbs to lose, you will be lucky to lose 1 lb per week.
    That makes more sense and I believe I did put 2 pounds per week. Then I'm really at a loss what to do then, I thought what I was eating was appropriate healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner foods. People eat cereal for breakfast so I thought why not lunch and dinner? I also saw people ate salads all the time to lose weight. What do you eat? What should I avoid eating? I don't see how I'd lose weight if I switched back to meals like pasta, spaghetti, rice with beef, ect that are higher in calories, sodium, and carbs.
  • MinyMinnie
    Options
    You really mustn't cut your calories so low! You will wreck your metabolism. I know - I have done it and it is a slooooooooow recovery once you fall into that trap. The MFP recommended daily calories are good advice, and you have to have extra on the days you exercise or you will not lose weight properly - you might lose a bunch fast but it will be so much easier to gain it back if you have starved yourself. I have been following the guidelines for the most part and have lost 4 pounds in 2.5 weeks. You probably can lose even faster if you have more weight to lose (I was only trying to lose 14 pounds). I've done every diet on the planet, and not all of them were healthy. Take it from me - DON'T UNDER EAT!
    That makes me feel a lot better. Thank you for your advice. :) But then why exercise at all? I always hear "eat healthy and exercise to lose weight." but it seems like it would be less of a hassle to just eat the calories I'm supposed to eat and call it a day. If you could, could you expand more on your journey on weight lost? I'd love to lose at least 10 pounds in few months! :)
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercise - but exercise will improve your cardiovascular health and make you feel better :) And if you do weight training, it will make you look better as well.

Cereal is actually not a very good option at all - for any meal.

Lean protein, vegies, wholegrain etc.