Can you have a healthy diet on Slim Fast Milk Shake Powder?

Options
Just curious as I prefer fluids to meals and if its possible. I want to subitute two of my meals for a Slim Fast milkshake and then a proper meal for dinner!

Replies

• kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. Just track your macros- make sure you get enough protein in particular, and get enough calories in. Also you might want to put in a little snack as the SlimFast people suggest.
  • lorindaleigh
    lorindaleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I use slim fast as a treat. I use it as a meal replacement when Im craving chocolate. It doesn't keep me full for long.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    A lot of people do this,( me included) but I wouldn't stick with it. Slim fast isn't the best choice either. I do Herbalife meal replacement shakes, and I only do that when I am restarting ( like after the Holidays to rid of bloat and junk in my system) A lot of people would also recommend Visalus. Slim fast has a lot of hidden junk in it. You may find yourself very hungry doing two a day, maybe do one a day, you don't want to run into binge eating.
  • thatonepersonfromtheinternet
    Options
    Nooooooooooo
    It's full of chemicals, food additives, and sugar substitutes. If you prefer fluid to meals, I'd suggest making your own and get recipes from google. It's best to eat clean and know what your putting into your body.
  • SaucyPea
    Options
    A lot of people do this,( me included) but I wouldn't stick with it. Slim fast isn't the best choice either. I do Herbalife meal replacement shakes, and I only do that when I am restarting ( like after the Holidays to rid of bloat and junk in my system) A lot of people would also recommend Visalus. Slim fast has a lot of hidden junk in it. You may find yourself very hungry doing two a day, maybe do one a day, you don't want to run into binge eating.

I doubt I'll start binging as I tend to hardly eat, I'm kinda forcing food into myself. I guess I'll try it for a week or so. If I feel hungry? I'll try Visalus as recommend by you. Thanks for the advise though everybody! ♥
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    I also suggest juicing, and making your own smoothies and replacment shakes. I just recently bought myself the " Mega Ninja Kitchen System". You can also just use any ole blender lol. There are so many healthy yummy smoothies you can make that a nutrient packed and KEEP you full. Look into that instead of Slim fast!! Juicing and making smoothies rocks, no lie. You know EXACTLY what you are consuming, and it's super easy. A regular juicer can run you 50-100$. Or, you can just use a blender for a thicker consistency, or just strain it.
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options

I doubt I'll start binging as I tend to hardly eat, I'm kinda forcing food into myself. I guess I'll try it for a week or so. If I feel hungry? I'll try Visalus as recommend by you. Thanks for the advise though everybody! ♥

Concerned when I hear your forcing yourself to eat. Take care of yourself and remember your body needs nutrition and only way your going to remain healthy and reach your goals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Unless you're willing to eat this way the rest of your life, then liquid diets have a HIGH weight regain record. Do it right. Learn how to eat food with the right macros/micros and calorie limit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Slimfast powder is great. :happy:
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Unless you're willing to eat this way the rest of your life, then liquid diets have a HIGH weight regain record. Do it right. Learn how to eat food with the right macros/micros and calorie limit.

IDEA Fitness member
    Shame on you, that isn't true. I have used Slimfast before and converted to regular food just fine in that past.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options

Concerned when I hear your forcing yourself to eat. Take care of yourself and remember your body needs nutrition and only way your going to remain healthy and reach your goals.

I would def say make smoothies in this case. Fruit and veggie smoothies.. You can even do yogurt smoothies. buy cocoa powder if you want something a little chocolatey... if you have a hard time with food, you really should make sure you get the vitamins and minerals your body needs. I suggest getting supplements too...i'm sure you already know that though lol.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    Shame on you, that isn't true. I have used Slimfast before and converted to regular food just fine in that past.

It is true, a lot of people have a hard time converting. I didn't either, and I never have.. but a lot of people end up having a tough time transitioning.
  • SaucyPea
    Options

I'm 18st so don't be concerned, I just force myself because I was previously in care and went days without eating because I wanted to be left alone. Also suffer bad depression that tends to take it toll and stops me from eating. I also tend to skip breakfast, dinner and maybe get lunch in. But now I'm trying to loose weight? I try to do breakfast, lunch, dinner and a snack while tracking it all. So hopefully a 1200 cals per a day diet, wont only help me lose weight. But also give my body what it needs. Well thats what I hope. Just I don't like soild food that much.. I love soups and may start slim fast shakes to make sure I'm getting enough protine to keep me going.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Your n=1 result does not make his assertion less true.
  • SaucyPea
    Options

I would def say make smoothies in this case. Fruit and veggie smoothies.. You can even do yogurt smoothies. buy cocoa powder if you want something a little chocolatey... if you have a hard time with food, you really should make sure you get the vitamins and minerals your body needs. I suggest getting supplements too...i'm sure you already know that though lol.

Then I have another problem, I don't live with my parents and at the age of eighteen and living indepenently. I'm on a budget of £15 for two weeks worth of food. I only asked this question cause slim fast is on offer! LOL.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    ALL diets have an average 10% success rate. Count yourself amongst this group. 90% of the rest fail.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    I would not because it is full of chemicals and has a high sugar content. Unprocessed or minimally processed food is so much better for you.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Give up your internet connection and use the extra money to buy food! There is absolutely nothing more important than your health.
  • SaucyPea
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    ALL diets have an average 10% success rate. Count yourself amongst this group. 90% of the rest fail.

IDEA Fitness member

Okay, well I would like to trial it anyways! But I'll take into count what you said. One or two weeks can't hurt right?
  • SaucyPea
    Options
    Give up your internet connection and use the extra money to buy food! There is absolutely nothing more important than your health.

Ugh, my money goes on other stuff. Luckly a family member pays my internet fee so I can use it. I pay for apartment's rent, gas, eletric, water and other things. End up with £15 every two weeks for food AND toiletries.