"Big Boned"

Options

Replies

• crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can have larger and smaller frames. That is why you can have two people at the same weight, height and body fat % look different. I for one can not go below 34 inches in the hips and I would look very underweight if I went that low.
  • Rjsmith07
    Rjsmith07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Lauryn, that makes sense... never heard of that.
  • kayjay14
    Options
    I always thought big boned just meant how your frame was put together. Wide shoulders / hips. So if you have wide hips, you could be skinny, but struggle getting into smaller sizes because of those hips. It will still come down to BMI and your weight.

I have heard frame sizes as small, medium or large. If you can wrap your index and thumb around your wrist and they overlap, you have a small frame, if they just touch, medium frame, and if they don't touch, large frame. I do not know if this has any scientific fact, it's just what I heard
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You can have slightly different frames - but generally, if someone is bigger, then they usually have more body fat.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    There are different sized frames... for example, at 5'11", with my frame, I look deathly ill weighing 180lbs.
    Doing strength training has shown to increase bone density (GREAT for older women who want to avoid osteoporosis).
    No such thing as having such a thick skeletal structure as to make you be "healthy" at 450lbs.
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    A person can have broader shoulder and wider hips which can make the appear to be larger than they are fat wise.

This is me. Back when I was at a healthy weight I always had to buy shirts one size larger than would be expected so it would fit me in the shoulders. Now I need it that size to help cover my gut. :cry:

I think being broad shouldered also covered up my weight gain to some extent. From the front I wouldn't look to bad but from the side you'd see my gut.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Some skeletal frames are bigger than others, and some people do indeed have bigger or thicker bones, but not radically so.. However the size of the bones have nothing to do with body fat or muscle tone..

This ^^^^^
  • SummerMarieM
    Options
    I can agree with that. I am a medium build at 5'5". Even at my most fit time in my life, I was still a size 7/8, and my jeans were right on my hip bones. I could never be a size zero and don't aim to be. I have met so many women of all healthy/fit builds and I truly believe some women have smaller/petite/size0 or larger/broader/size8 skeletal structures.

As far as Big Boned, why couldn't the bones be a bit bigger or set wider than others?
  • Rjsmith07
    Options
    It is your frame... I didn't mean you can't lose weight I mean that even if you did lose weight you will still kind of look bigger.... which would be the frame... according to the finger/wrist thing I'm large framed, no hope for me (JUST KIDDING)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'll show you a big bone...

On the skeleton of that Tyrannosaurs rex over there. Wow, truly a thunder lizard.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I have wide hips due to bone structure, so I'll always be wider and wear a larger pants size than other people for my height and weight. I can get down to a low weight, but I still think I look bigger.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I'll show you a big bone...

On the skeleton of that Tyrannosaurs rex over there. Wow, truly a thunder lizard.
    I die.
  • Rjsmith07
    Options
    Valerie thats just like me.... At my healthiest time I still felt bad looking in the mirror... just certain areas that need to be smaller... shoulders, hips, thighs lol
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I got a 'BIG BONE" i kid i kid
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I've been told I have big bones too but I realized I was fat and had to lose weight. Now I feel better than I ever have!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I understand that some frames are bigger than others. Still hate the phrase because I've heard way too many overweight friends complain about being "big boned". That ain't your bones, honey.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Usually it means fat.

Occasionally people actually mean frame size, but usually it just means "I don't want to say fat, but fat"
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I hate the term "big boned" I do believe however that people do have different size of frames. For example one of my close friends is the same height as me and weighs about 80 pounds less. She is no too skinny and looks very healthy. If I lose 40 ponds I will be back in the same size as her, but still weigh 40 pounds more. I hope that makes sense....

You get the difference weights/sizes because some people have more muscle on their frames than others.

Two people can both be a size 8 for example... but one weight 130lbs and one weights 150lbs. Muscle makes you look smaller while actually weighing more.

To the OP... I hate the term big boned as well. I've heard way too many people say they weren't fat.. they were simply big boned. I believe some people use it as an excuse.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Valerie thats just like me.... At my healthiest time I still felt bad looking in the mirror... just certain areas that need to be smaller... shoulders, hips, thighs lol

yeah, hips and thighs for me and i'm only 116 pounds. ugh, depressing!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm going to agree with people about having different frame sizes which is why some people are healthy at a lower weight and other people are not. But, if you can see fat, then that is fat, not "big bones". Some people take it too far and think all people have the same frame and body shape, and that's not true.