It's simple. I think.

Options
I need to eat way less sugar. I am ALWAYS over, by at least 100 g per day on average.

How do you do it?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I need to eat way less sugar. I am ALWAYS over, by at least 100 g per day on average.

How do you do it?

Why do you need to eat less sugar, especially since most of your sugar is from fruit. Weight loss is about calories, not sugar. If you want to for personal reason, just cut back on stuff like fiber one bars. I eat 100g of sugar a day and it had yet to hinder my fat loss journey.
  • Poetry_In_Pics
    Options
    I substitute with Splenda quite often...
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    sugar aids in storing fat among other health reasons why even healthy sugars should be kept under control. For me they cause cravings which = calorie deficit failure and not as efficient feeling workouts.

Sugar detox. Work very hard to cut your sugars down for 4 days and after that it gets easier ..the cravings and desire for sugary foods slowly deminishes. I am a BIG fan of the way I feel since lowering my sugar intake.

There is no easy way..you just have to put your mind to it and do it.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I'm working on less sugars right now too. I don't tally them simply for the reason they are in fruit and I love my fruit, but I'm cutting down on sugar in tea especially. I use Stevia, a natural, plant-derived sweetener. Also, simply NOT BUYING sugary things helps a lot. Drink more water when you get a craving. That's my current plan of action.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason.. sugar from natural sources is fine. I don't monitor my sugar, but I don't eat hardly any added sugar. Most of the sugar I do eat comes from natural whole foods or honey.

if you get a lot of sugar from unnatural sources, start looking at labels before you buy it. Increase the amount of water you drink. Replace anything processed with something natural and whole. I'm not an advocate of replacing sugar with artificial sweetener, i'd simply slowly reduce the amount of sugar I add to things. that is what I did to stop putting sugar in coffee.

Also.. if you get it from natural sources then i'd switch fruits for more whole veggies like carrots and celery.

Just some ideas..
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Eat more veggies and less fruit. Remove processed foods from your diet since most boxed/canned/jarred anything at the store is full of added sugar. Sauces also have tons of sugar. Look at the labels when you buy things that seem healthy like "marinara sauce" which is really just red liquid sugar.

On the other hand, if you are not diabetic and you are staying without your calorie goals, sugar isn't the devil like some people seem to think. Overeat and you will get fat storage...regardless of sugar content.
  • db0255
    db0255 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily for weight loss. I have prediabetes and high blood pressure. Also, thank you for the posts everyone.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's not necessarily for weight loss. I have prediabetes and high blood pressure. Also, thank you for the posts everyone.

Well that makes more sense... it's also good to watch carbs and eat foods higher in protein (lean meats especially) since have better insulin resistance.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

How do you do it?

I don't eat processed rubbish, eat more non starchy vegetables than fruit as per most healthy eating guidelines, choose low sugar over high sugar fruits.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but most of your sugar is NOT from fruit. It's from large bags of skittles, muffins, cookies, and fizzy drinks.

If you're OK with atrifical sweetners, then you can find sugar-free alternatives to the pop.

Candy and cakes are OK in moderation, but watch how much you are consuming.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason.. sugar from natural sources is fine.

Sugar is sugar
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

No offence, but if this is the case you need to stop eating share size packets of skittles, cookies, muffins and fizzy drinks.

Sugar from natural sources like fruit won't do you any harm, but you could certainly cut it from processed, sugary snacks.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    most of your sugar is NOT from fruit. It's from large bags of skittles, muffins, cookies, and fizzy drinks.

^^^this

If you're the kind of person that needs to make lifestyle changes slowly, my suggestion to you is to cut out foods that contain High Fructose Corn Syrup. I know it can be difficult to cut out all processed food and dining out all at once. But if the only thing you did was read food labels and put it back on the shelf if it contains HFCS, you will be doing your prediabetes a favor. Trust me. And in the process of giving up HFCS, you'll reprogram your taste buds and brain to crave sugar less. It really does work.