Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is It Cheating?

If I log my exercise in before I actually do it, eat all the extra calories and burn them off later?

Replies

• littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    why would it be cheating?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    First, i immediately thought of road trip.. and it involves a dog and peanut butter.

Back to the original question.. no you can preplan your exercise. But I would suggest only eating 50% of the exercise calories. Or if you consistently work out, then just change your account to lightly or moderately active. Then you have a deficit over a week.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    2 + 4 - 3 = 3

2 - 3 + 4 = 3

It's all the same. Order doesn't matter.
  • First, i immediately thought of road trip.. and it involves a dog and peanut butter.

Back to the original question.. no you can preplan your exercise. But I would suggest only eating 50% of the exercise calories. Or if you consistently work out, then just change your account to lightly or moderately active. Then you have a deficit over a week.

BAHAHAHA! Okay, that was great. I have my account set to lightly I think.. And I usually always preplan and gobble up all the extra calories. I also changed my dietary goals to about 100g of carbs a day. How would I have a deficit over a week?
  • Now, what if I don't eat the extra calories? Will my body go into starvation mode?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    First, i immediately thought of road trip.. and it involves a dog and peanut butter.

BAHAHAHA! Okay, that was great. I have my account set to lightly I think.. And I usually always preplan and gobble up all the extra calories. I also changed my dietary goals to about 100g of carbs a day. How would I have a deficit over a week?

if you want to know what i mean youtube roadtrip + peanut butter.

So lets say you have a desk job and you exercise 5 days a week. Most people will say they are sedentary and eat back exercise calories. Or you can set your account to moderately active and no worry about our exercise calories. So you can do either approach but if your account is set to moderately active, you shouldn't add exercise calories.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    2 + 4 - 3 = 3

2 - 3 + 4 = 3

The commutative property of calories. :happy:
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member

if you want to know what i mean youtube roadtrip + peanut butter.
    [/quote]
    :frown: :sick:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    This cheat concept is silly. You are trying to balance your energy output and input in a happy way that keeps you healthy and leads to weight loss.
  • cal_73
    cal_73 Posts: 77
    I'll often log my food and exercise the day before if i'm going to be eating out or trying a new recipe. I find it easier to plan this way. But I'll usually log the exercise a little below what I think I'll do to give myself a little buffer.
  • NaomiJFoster
    2 + 4 - 3 = 3

2 - 3 + 4 = 3

And man, do they tend to accumulate!
  • I would look at is encouragement.
  • khadijak17
    khadijak17 Posts: 393 Member
    it would be if you ended up not doing any form of excercise and still logging in extra calories so your diary looked good your fine as long as your day ends with what youve put in your diary :)
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    I heard this before... "Eatin ain't cheatin"
  • NaomiJFoster
    2 + 4 - 3 = 3

2 - 3 + 4 = 3

• Debbs83
    Debbs83 Posts: 39 Member
    If I log my exercise in before I actually do it, eat all the extra calories and burn them off later?

Not cheating. I often do this to figure out how much I will eat that day. It's just planning ahead.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Not cheating as long as you do the exercise you have planned.

And you wont' go into starvation mode if you dont' eat them back. Starvation mode is thrown around here far too often.

Properly calculated eating back exercise calories can really help you
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    It's also not cheating if you're on a break.
  • Not at all. I typically log planned meals and exercises before I do them.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    It's also not cheating if you're on a break.

h8xF6.gif