half marathon.... realistic?

Options
A friend has asked me to join her in running a half-marathon in May -- just over 17 weeks away. I've been exercising a bit - treadmill mostly, but nothing too strenuous. Is it realistic for a non-runner like myself to be able to run a half in that amount of time? (I don't need a spectacular time -- I'd be happy just to finish.) I'm kind of intrigued by the idea.... I'd like to do something memorable like that before I turn 40 this fall. :smile:

Replies

• EvaD12
    EvaD12 Posts: 49
    Options
    Do it! I'm hoping it's realistic as I've just signed up for one in May as well, though it's more a mix of marathon/stair climbing as its on the Great Wall of China but same idea. The most I've ever run is about 10km and usually it's 5km so I'm not a great runner but I've decided it may as well be this year or I'll just keep putting it off.

I know Runners World have some good training plans for 1/2 marathons so it might be worth taking a look and see what you think.
  • 141by2016
    141by2016 Posts: 179
    Options
    http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/basichalf.htm

DO IT! You will feel so good (afterwards).
  • johncaraher
    johncaraher Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    As another non-runner, if you really want to go for it I think you can and should. If you don't finish it's not like they're going to abandon you to the wolves or something!

I started on MFP last January and by late April I was regularly doing 45-60 minutes on a stationary bike at a fast pace. On a whim I signed up for a low-key 5k - I figured out that even if I had to walk the whole thing it would still be under an hour - and did it in under 30 minutes with no special training. A half marathon is a LOT longer, of course, but if you really set it as a goal and work toward it I don't see why you couldn't do it. Worst case - it's about a 4 hour walk.
  • laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    DO IT! We will be doing it together :) I started running in Dec 2011 for the first time ever and ran my first 1/2 in April 2012. Then another in May 2012. Both of the runs were amazing experiences. Then I stopped running. Got fat again. And now I am restarting to run for a half in April. :)
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Very realistic and you will be glad you did it when its over. There are some very good programs out there that you can follow that will get you perfectly ready for it. The last one I did I didnt follow any program and thought I could train myself...big mistake...I made it but almost died in the process!!
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Ideally (but who lives in an ideal world?) I would rather go into a HM with a more solid running base, but that said, it is doable. I would just be very careful to not overtrain and get injured. Follow a reputable program and do not increase you distance by more than 10% a week. Listen to your body, you can rather cut back and miss a workout when you are tired, than injure yourself.

Incorporate walks into your runs, especially when you are increasing distance. Walk BEFORE you get tired. Take rest days after hard runs (hills, a longer distance or speedwork). If you miss runs try to at least do your long run every week.

Enjoy! I cried when I finished my first HM and saw my family at the finish line. I was that proud of myself.
  • kinrsa
    kinrsa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I did my frist half marathon last Sunday. I made sure I could run for 2 hours without stopping (very, very, very slowly) about 3 weeks before the race. I finished (with no walking) in 2 hours and 41 minutes.

I did a little bit of speed work (running as fast as I could for 30 minutes, 3 days a week) 2 weeks before the race, and I cycled about 25km per day for 4 days the week of the race. I had 3 days rest before the race.

There were a LOT of walkers in the half marathon. I think if you can run an hour and a half by the time of the race you'll be fine. If you don't want to walk at all make sure you can run 2 hours, even if your running is slower than the speedwalkers, haha.

Good luck! And start training now! :)
  • RumRum85
    RumRum85 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yes is realistic. Try to run in street to find a comfortable rythm and use a gps (or gps based app) to watch your speed . If you're going fast, you're doing wrong.
  • alipene
    alipene Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I'm in a similar position. Non-runner, only started in September after signing up for a HM which is now just over 9 weeks away. I started with the couch to 5k programme and am now into my HM programme. In September I couldn't run for a minute without my legs seizing up. Now I am doing 40 mins at about 4.5mph, as well as hill training etc. It still seems a long way off achievement-wise (I'm aiming to run all the way in 3 hours) but I have every faith in the programme I'm following. I haven't yet failed to achieve anything on the programme. best of luck!
  • Bufite
    Bufite Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    it's totally doable. you might not be very fast, and it will hurt, but you can definitely get round! good luck!
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can do it. I did my first half last May - and it was tough, but the reward worth it.

I have been running for the past 4 years, not great at it, but try to go ut at least twice a week.

When it came to the half marathon - the furthest run I had done prior to the race was about 8 miles. But I figured that I would get round no matter what. I walk/ran and completed in 2 hours 43mins. I could have done faster, but I was just glad to finish.

There are some excellent training plans to be found - on line and in mags - get cracking now.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Hal Hidgon has some wonderful training programs on line. Look them up and decide for yourself if YOU think it is realistic for you. He has never let me down on training. I started running with the C25K program and then immediately popped on over to a Hal Higdon for my next race. My goal has always been to finish and he has helped me do just that! Good luck to you!!!:drinker:
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    It would be doable, but not advisable....it is typically best to have a solid running base established before you take on something like a half marathon. With that being said, if you want to go for it, make sure you don't overtrain (common mistake when people are starting out, and they end up injured) and make sure you are wearing good running shoes! Make sure you cross train, too, with something like biking or swimming. Check the elevation map of your planned race to find out how hilly it is ahead of time, so you can make sure you are prepared if it is a challenging course. Good luck and have fun!
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Go for it!! My wife started running in Nov of 2011. After a couple weeks of running around the neighborhood, she decided she wanted to try a 5K and signed up for one in Jan of 2012. She ran and finished it. She then started thinking bigger. She signed up for, ran and completed her first Half-Marathon in April 2012 down in Clearwater FL less than 12 weeks after her first 5K. She stuck with running and ran another Half in Savannah, GA in November 2012. Tomorrow morning, Jan 19, 2013, she will compete in her first Full Marathon and I have no doubt that she will finish it..
    If you want to run it, you will be able to run it.. Like Nike says: "Just Do It!"
    Good luck with it..
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    id say yes. I was never a runner, but ran a half after a month building up my distance from 0. I have strong legs and a good base cardio from 10 years of roller hockey.

you can do it in 4 months for sure.

..... i think.
  • Blogmarkblog
    Blogmarkblog Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It is very realistic goal, but find a training program to gradually get you there. You can find lots by using the Google machine. Having a goal like that makes getting into shape easier and motivating.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow morning, Jan 19, 2013, she will compete in her first Full Marathon and I have no doubt that she will finish it..

wow. marathons are a beast. I can run a half, but a full is a whole other thing and i imagine it takes serious training.

I get on a roll after 5k and can keep going up to a half, but im starting to drag my feet and im slow as at the end.

hats off to your lady!
  • sundog10
    sundog10 Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    This is a wonderful idea; Go for it; I am a runner and I know you can do it; Like everyone says: Start with a good training program and stick with it; Honestly there are days i hate going out and running but once I am out there i love it. Getting yourself out there is half the battle. Take walking breaks and you will finish; and hearing people cheer you when you run across that finish line is an amazing feeling; You will be planning your next one in no time; Good Luck. You can do it!!
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You can do it. There are some myths about how you train. Run 3 -4x a week with at least one long run of max distance. Its okay to walk too. Don't injure yourself trying to force your body to do something when its not ready. There is a trick running distance, START SLOW! Many start out running too fast and get heavy legs or that burning sensation. Run at a leisure pace for distance and work on speed in cross training.

Btw, I'm running my 1st half marathon in April and the furthest I've pushed myself is 7 miles. If you can run a 5k, you can train for a half marathon in 4 months. Check out www.MYASICS.US
  • shorthand73
    shorthand73 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks, everyone, for all the encouragement and support! I've never received so many positive responses! :flowerforyou: In 2010, I ran a total of 13 5k races with a couple of friends, so I know I can do that far for sure. :smile: 5k seemed pretty do-able. A half feels a little daunting, but I think I'll give it a try! Just knowing that a friend is training for the same thing will help to keep me honest and motivated, I think. I'd love the support of a few more MFP friends - especially from a group as encouraging as you all have been! Please add me if you feel like you have room for another!
    Thanks! Happy Friday!