Best workouts to slim down

laurynbennardo
laurynbennardo Posts: 16
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I am looking for which workouts would help me slim down better. I have been doing elliptical 60 min a day four days a week and weight training/yoga the other three days. I have not seen much progress and was wondering if anyone knew of a better exercise routine for me

Replies

• jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Well without knowing anything about you, I would recommend dance. I know a lot of people rave about Zumba (I just started recently going myself) classes are 45-60 minutes usually and last night I burned 530 calories in 60 minutes! I also Irish dance and it's a great workout for your calves and hamstrings especially, I burned 474 calories in 51 minutes of dance for me last week. You burn a lot of calories and due to all the motion (and not just the back/forth of the elliptical) I think it tones better as well, really uses your leg muscles. I also find that it's a lot less monotonous than your typical cardio equipment, as I was getting burnt out of just doing the same ole machines at the gym. Time passes much faster in dance classes :) My gym offers Zumba and spinning and all sorts of classes, hopefully yours does as well!

Just my .02 though! Good luck!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Increase the resistance on the elliptical or go faster. :) Also, run!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,206 Member
    RUN :D Also lift weights... do a lot of core work (abs, back)
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Cardio is great for slimming down. But if you don't have the muscle to speed up your metabolism it will take awile to get there. I agree with aes14, add some weights for faster results.
  • abbie38
    abbie38 Posts: 128
    I can attest to Zumba :) I've been teaching for a year and a half and have lost 50 lbs on it.. :)

Also add some weight training to your cardio. Just cardio alone only took me so far. I'm now doing 2 resistance classes a week.
  • Sorry, I forgot to include some info about me, I am 5'2 weighing 150 pounds. I am 19 and attending college which equals a more sedentary life style. My problem areas would have to be my legs and butt. I would really like to slim down and tone those areas especially. I am not part of a gym and the fitness center on campus does not offer any programs. I have been doing the p90x system, but I am not a fan of the cardio on it so I have been substituting my own and just doing the weight and yoga from the dvds. I hate to run so if that is an answer to my problem, how are some ways to make it easier?
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Do you go to a gym?
    If so, switch up your cardio regimen. Include the bike, stairs, arc trainer, etc.... do heavier weight training.... running has really helped with my legs and butt. You don't have to all out run. You can jog for 1 min, walk briskly for 1 min, jog, walk...etc go hiking if that's a possibility. . . lunges, squats, step ups... all great for the legs and the butt.

Eat a lot of protein. At least 1/2 your body weight in grams of protein.
This discussion has been closed.