"The Virgin Diet"

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Get rid of my eggs? Virgin's bum, meet my foot.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I saw her on PBS. She suggests cutting out the 7 foods for 3 weeks and then reintroducing them one at a time to see if you have digestive or other bad reactions to those foods, which is how a lot of food intolerances are discovered. But it does seem very limiting!

sure, but it's only three weeks, and you get to see how each of the foods effects you individually. nothing wrong with having a better understanding of your body.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Sounds almost like Paleo. Just keep eggs. You get carbs through veggies and fruit. Protein through eggs and lean meats. Fat from meat and nuts.

very similar.^. yes nuts, but not peanuts (actually a legume). not having eggs is limiting, but can be introduced again or not cut at all if you know it causes not issues for you.
  • Infauna
    Options
    cat_zps521da84e.jpg
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    It was on Dr Oz.

Then it's good as gold.
  • rachiesue
    rachiesue Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this, but not as a "diet". I'm doing it to find out if I have any food intolerances, because I was getting sicker on a more regular basis and I felt like something needed to be done. Once it's over I plan on avoiding whatever is bothering me and maintaining healthy eating habits incorporating back in the foods I don't have a problem with. I believe it is one of the foods because I have none of the symptoms that I had before. Just a waiting game to find out which food it is. Crosses my fingers it's not dairy!
  • alana55x
    Options
    I'm studying to be a nutritionist and am a student in college. I tried out this diet so I could recommend it to my followers on my nutrition blog....I have to say, having two best friends and a cousin hospitalized for eating disorders, I really think this whole "Virgin Diet Hype" needs to be directed towards a specific audience--those suffering from autoimmune disorders, those with frequent joint pain/headaches, or those who are overweight or at risk for certain diseases. For those of you who are already eating healthy, feel energized, and don't snack on junk food all day--PLEASE save yourself the energy and don't try this diet. I'm 90 pounds and after speaking to my doctor, this diet will only lead to health risks for me being that I'm already underweight. So for anyone in a normal weight range, I really wouldn't suggest this. The journaling forces you to obsess over everything you put in your mouth, and all the while your questioning, "I felt great before having eggs, greek yogurt, etc.., why stop?" This is for people who have tried diets and they haven't worked. This is for people who want to manage their weight. I feel drained of energy, and worse, scared to death to put food in my mouth. For anyone young, I just don't think it's a good route.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    This thread is TOTALLY not what I thought it was.
    Wait, did someone say Dr. Oz??? Isn't he that renowned DOCTOR that pushes every snake oil out there???
    Oh yes, we absolutely MUST buy this.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Celebrity fitness and nutrition expert JJ Virgin says it’s simple: Just drop seven foods from your diet, and you can lose seven pounds in one week. The foods you should drop from your diet include: gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts, corn and (grouped together) sugar and artificial sweeteners.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/01/16/virgin-diet-drop-7-foods-lose-7-pounds-in-1-week/?intcmp=features#ixzz2HHv4lCtO

Trouble is that, if you leave out dairy, then there goes the calcium. Leave off eggs, and there goes protein.
    What do you think of this diet?

Well, I am disappointed. I was expecting virgin sacrifice, and then chowing down on the remains for weight loss. Didn't the Incas do something like that?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I thought u meant no sex
  • TimGillman
    Options
    I started this diet 10 days ago. I bought pumpkin protein for the shakes. I did see that the protein powder she sells on her website has sugar in it. This is forbidden for the first 7 weeks. She also has a link in her resources to Miso soup that is soy based, another food you are supposed to give up. And the only sweetener she is OK with is Xylitol which can come from birch trees but also comes from corn, another forbidden food. If you have even a little of the foods you add back in (soy, gluten, dairy and eggs, you need to wait three weeks before adding it back in. Then after the third week you add in the four foods one per week once a day for four days in specific recipes to see if, after clearing out the natural antibodies, you have a reaction. If you don't, you are OK to add back in after testing the other three foods. Even though I am pointing out hypocrisies, I am going ahead with this as I did lose 7 lbs in the first 7 days and have been sleeping better than I have in years. I have read of other people having headaches in the first few days. I did not have them, but others said that they go away after a few days (withdrawal?).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Celebrity fitness and nutrition expert JJ Virgin says it’s simple: Just drop seven foods from your diet, and you can lose seven pounds in one week. The foods you should drop from your diet include: gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts, corn and (grouped together) sugar and artificial sweeteners.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/01/16/virgin-diet-drop-7-foods-lose-7-pounds-in-1-week/?intcmp=features#ixzz2HHv4lCtO

Trouble is that, if you leave out dairy, then there goes the calcium. Leave off eggs, and there goes protein.
    What do you think of this diet?

Eggs are not required for protein.
    Calcium can be found outside of dairy

But, it's still a ridiculous promise "lose seven pounds in one week". No diet can guarantee that, not even total starvation.

For the average person, all of those foods can be part of a healthy diet.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Any diet that recommends avoiding certain foods or being a virgin is highly suspect.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    The foods you should drop from your diet include: gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts, corn and (grouped together) sugar and artificial sweeteners.

You'll have to pry gluten, dairy, eggs, peanuts, and corn from my cold, dead hands.

But if giving these up means that you'll have a calorie deficit, then yes, you can lose weight with it. Although 7 pounds in a week is quite an outlandish claim. Seven pounds of... something.
  • Omakitkat
    Omakitkat Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I had to go off gluten for Celiacs Disease. believe me, it is in EVERYTHING. I don't recommend giving it up. I miss gluten every day of my life. enjoy life, you only get to do it once. don't spend it eating food you hate and ignore the foods you love - just love them in moderation.

I found out about gluten being in everything on a trip to Sprouts last year. They were having a gluten-free sale. When I heard 'gluten', of course I thought 'wheat products'. Bread, cereal, tortillas, that sort of thing.

Surprised to find some 'gluten-free sale' tags on YOGURT! Yes, YOGURT!

Just because yogurt is labelled "gluten free" does not mean that yogurt naturally has gluten in it. Gluten is only naturally found in some cereal grains. If yogurt has gluten it's because someone added it.

Gluten is not found in everything. But it is added to a lot of processed foods.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Surprised to find some 'gluten-free sale' tags on YOGURT! Yes, YOGURT!

This is not necessarily because it had any in the first place though. Back when cholesterol was the devil I remember seeing stuff like apples and tomatoes at the grocery store with "Cholesterol Free!" stickers all over them
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    CoachReddy wrote: »

Trouble is that, if you leave out dairy, then there goes the calcium. Leave off eggs, and there goes protein. What do you think of this diet?

Calcium: Almond Milk has 50% more calcium than cow's milk
    Protein: Nuts, Legumes, Seeds, Pseudograins like quinoa <--- All the protein your body actually needs

Unless it's meat, you're looking at incomplete proteins (meaning you'd have to eat at least two of the sources to get complete proteins).

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    SLaw11111 wrote: »
    It was on Dr Oz.

f59d48f20907d137a3c6aaba9ab31f7e.jpg
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    CoachReddy wrote: »
    seaweed actually has a TON of calcium. :)

:oSeaweed has calcium?? I've had the roasted seaweed, which has some fat from the roasting process.