How to burn the most calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty fond of the rowing machine. Do it right or you can hurt your back pretty easily though!

I have no idea how reliable this source is, but I know from painful past experience that he is right about the rower and what happens if your form is bad!

"An incredible upper and lower body cardiovascular challenge, the rowing machine can burn over 1000 calories per hour. Just ask Ben Hur. But this quasi-torture device can also be nauseatingly boring when you try to go for long periods of time. To make time go by faster while still maintaining a high intensity, incorporate short periods or distances of very hard pulling combined with easy pulling. For instance, row for 250 meters as hard as possible, then 100 meters easy, and repeat 6-8 times. Be sure to use as many body parts as possible when rowing, including the torso and the legs--not just the arms.
    Quick and dirty tip for the rowing machine: It’s actually pretty easy to throw out your low back if you don’t know what your doing, so look at the little diagram that appears on the instruction panel of most of the machines; see how it shows a little stick figure pulling with the whole body, including upper back and legs? Make sure you do that."

http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/which-exercise-machine-burns-the-most-calories.aspx
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean - when you're small it takes an awful lot of effort to burn an extra 100 calories. So you have to be super vigilant about your food intake, where sadly it's all too easy to consume an extra 100 cals.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope burns about 10 calories a minute.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Calorie burn depends on weight x intensity. You weigh around 60 kg so that means you need to work at 9-10 METs to burn 500-600 cals/hr. That's the equivalent of running 5.5-6.0 mph. If you cannot do that then you need to work on increasing your fitness and endurance.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I feel so tired when I do an hour and feel kinda peeved when it's only 200-300 calories burnt off.
    That points to a low aerobic fitness level. If you want to be able to burn more calories you have to work harder for longer with whatever activity you chose. In order to go harder for longer you have to increase your aerobic fitness.

What works for me is easy running for an hour which burns a little over 800 cal. (Male, 173 lbs). Since it's easy effort I can do it every day. Sometimes I work harder or go longer and get higher calorie burns, up to around 900 to 1000 an hour or around 1500 for two hours.

Note: Those calorie counts are from my Garmin. MFP would give me 10 to 20% higher..
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Tabata workouts. I did Amy Dixon's Breathless Body 2 and for 50 min I burnt 500 cals.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    rowing machine, bike with resistance, arc trainer, jump rope, elliptical on high setting, swimming fast, running in the water fast, zumba, kickboxing, step, hiking for a couple hrs. Circuit training, rock climbing, etc, the other ones you could probably get a good burn in less than 90.
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Zumba? Or how about the elliptical or stair stepper at the gym?