Need to help as what I'm doing is not really working

Options

Replies

• JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I am trying to listen but nobody is really listening to me, that's what's frustrating!!!

I GAINED all my current weight by eating what you are recommending! I didn't eat 3000 calories per day and gorge on food I ate what most people would consider to be normal most days! The only real difference was probably that I ate more carbs than I am trying to now although I have always tried to keep my carb intake lower than most.

I ate about 1400-1600 calories on average and on days when I didn't watch my calorie intake at all I was eating more like 1800 at a guess. This caused me to gain fat slowly which is now why I need to lose it! Hence the reason why I decided to cut my calories down based on what so called scientific methods on many fitness websites have recommened based on my measurements and current statistics! I ate 1400-1800 calories non-stop for over 2 years, not just 1 or 2 months so I KNOW this isn't going to prevent me gaining more weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am trying to listen but nobody is really listening to me, that's what's frustrating!!!

I GAINED all my current weight by eating what you are recommending! I didn't eat 3000 calories per day and gorge on food I ate what most people would consider to be normal most days! The only real difference was probably that I ate more carbs than I am trying to now although I have always tried to keep my carb intake lower than most.

I ate about 1400-1600 calories on average and on days when I didn't watch my calorie intake at all I was eating more like 1800 at a guess. This caused me to gain fat slowly which si now why I need to lose it! Hence the reason why I decided to cut my calories down!

This is why I am suggesting and have been suggesting in your other threads, to slowly increase your calories. If you want to repair your metabolism, you need to work on it. Heavy weight training, high protein and time is all you can do.
  • JAT74
    Options
    I am going to give the weight training a try. I can't afford to join a gym and I have a home gym here anyway which is pretty well equipped with both cardio training options as well as a multigym and free weights. I have lots of books on weight training for women, weight training for my body type, general weight training books and lots of other information on different programs I could try.

As I'm usually forced to train alone due to time constraints and when I have the time to do it during the day, I have found in the past that I got bored and due to the length of the programs I've had to stop (and also due to injuries I've picked up from time to time).

This is the reason I decided to try the Jillian Michaels program. After doing it for a few days already I can see that it's different to her other programs as there is a lot more weight training involved and you can adapt the weights you use depending on what you are able to lift. It's also 35-40 minutes from start to finish which I can manage and as it's very structured over the 3 months I think it will work well for me. I've seen photo results of others who have followed this program and it's certainly very encouraging.

I don't mind increasing my calories and I'm already trying to increase my protein so I'll see if it works.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    You don't need much equipment for weight training. You can even get a few resistance bands if you want a cheap solution. You can find workout programs on www.bodyrock.tv or even youtube.
  • Kitty_Kat_meow
    Options
    Read this post, it explains how if eating too little your hormone levels responsible for metabolising fat etc are lowered so you need to up your cals to reflect this. I've just upped mine to 1900 from 1200 as I wasn't losing weight even though I stuck to it and exercised/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Believe me I've tried it all! My TDEE is including exercise calories of approx 250 per day so take that off and I can only eat just over 1400 without doing anything. In order to lower that to lose weight I'd therefore have to eat around 1000 calories in order to lose weight or 1250 if I exercise. That's the maths.

Maybe I do have a food intolerance to wheat. I do feel very bloated with wheat and I never lose weight if I eat bread. I've now cut it out except for a few times a week more or less for breakfast although I have had some wholewheats a little more often but my carbs are low in general. I don't drink high sugar drinks at all, no sugar in tea or coffee and no fruit juice or other drinks containing sugar or very rarely at least. I generally eat low sugar except for at weekends.

I don't think I'm unrealistic with a goal weight of 118lbs as at 122lbs I had a body fat % of almost 30%. If I acn change that figure to no more than 15% and my weight is higher I don't care, I just want to look good, have a low body fat so that things fit me well and I have no wobbly bits! I do think that 110-115lbs for someone my height with a small build isn't too low if I am strong and fit but I've never been there so who knows.

I am changing my training now too with the Body Revolution programme. Before I mainly did cardio 5 days a week and very occassionally I'd do some weights. This new workout programme is 6 days training with 4 days weights and 2 days cardio so hopefully that will help.

I've done very detox and other diet going so now I just want to eat sensibly and get to where I want to be. I lost 14 lbs in 10 days on the maple syrup diet a few years ago which was around 400 calories per day and nearly fainted while in an aerobics class. I won't do anything that stupid again!

I am Wheat intolerant and I could not lose when I was sick. I was always bloated. Trying cutting it out for a week and see how you feel.

Trust me, your calories are TOO low. You may have messed up your metabolism, I would be patient. It does not happen over night.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Believe me I've tried it all! My TDEE is including exercise calories of approx 250 per day so take that off and I can only eat just over 1400 without doing anything. In order to lower that to lose weight I'd therefore have to eat around 1000 calories in order to lose weight or 1250 if I exercise. That's the maths.

Maybe I do have a food intolerance to wheat. I do feel very bloated with wheat and I never lose weight if I eat bread. I've now cut it out except for a few times a week more or less for breakfast although I have had some wholewheats a little more often but my carbs are low in general. I don't drink high sugar drinks at all, no sugar in tea or coffee and no fruit juice or other drinks containing sugar or very rarely at least. I generally eat low sugar except for at weekends.

I don't think I'm unrealistic with a goal weight of 118lbs as at 122lbs I had a body fat % of almost 30%. If I acn change that figure to no more than 15% and my weight is higher I don't care, I just want to look good, have a low body fat so that things fit me well and I have no wobbly bits! I do think that 110-115lbs for someone my height with a small build isn't too low if I am strong and fit but I've never been there so who knows.

I am changing my training now too with the Body Revolution programme. Before I mainly did cardio 5 days a week and very occassionally I'd do some weights. This new workout programme is 6 days training with 4 days weights and 2 days cardio so hopefully that will help.

I've done very detox and other diet going so now I just want to eat sensibly and get to where I want to be. I lost 14 lbs in 10 days on the maple syrup diet a few years ago which was around 400 calories per day and nearly fainted while in an aerobics class. I won't do anything that stupid again!

I am Wheat intolerant and I could not lose when I was sick. I was always bloated. Trying cutting it out for a week and see how you feel.

Trust me, your calories are TOO low. You may have messed up your metabolism, I would be patient. It does not happen over night.

You know, you make a good point. My wife found out she was gluten intolerant and gained weight easily. Our GI doctor suggested going a few weeks with gluten and it's amazing how much more energy she had. Cutting out a single food group for a few weeks is a great suggestion to see if there is any underlying intolerances which are very hard to diagnose.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options

I ate about 1400-1600 calories on average and on days when I didn't watch my calorie intake at all I was eating more like 1800 at a guess. This caused me to gain fat slowly which is now why I need to lose it! Hence the reason why I decided to cut my calories down based on what so called scientific methods on many fitness websites have recommened based on my measurements and current statistics! I ate 1400-1800 calories non-stop for over 2 years, not just 1 or 2 months so I KNOW this isn't going to prevent me gaining more weight.

I have read all your posts in this thread, so I am trying to listen :) I have tried most of the popular methods (diet & exercise) on myself plus quite a bit of reading and research. Here is the simple thing that it still comes back to.. In order to drop fat, more calories must be burned than calories consumed. If fat is not coming off for weeks at a time when you are 30+% body fat, then you are simply eating too much. People here will want to argue that fact, but I doubt the arguments will come from the people who have gotten ripped.

Eat below your BMR.
    Do NOT add back in exercise calories. Consider them a bonus.
    Whatever your calorie count for the day is, just add 10% to it to catch the margin of error (package contents are not always accurate and we tend to want to underestimate what we actually eat).
    Do not be afraid to fast. Great way to create a calorie deficit and the more you do it the easier it becomes.
    I go through many days fasted and lifting heavy weights and feel fine.

Good luck!
  • JAT74
    Options
    Yes, I think I'll try no wheat or gluten for at least a week and see what happens. I don't eat a lot now, usually just the odd bit of bread once a week or like this morning 2 crumpets which I've had twice this week but I also have wholegrain cereal which is often wheat based.

I'll switch to rye alternatives (wheat free) and oat porridge etc. for breakfast and see how I get on. I don't eat pasta on the whole as well as noodles anyway and steer clear of white rice except for a little sushi from time to time but I usually only ever eat brown rice. I have lowered my carb levels but maybe I'll just cut out wheat altogether and allow myself other wholegrain carbohydrates in small amounts.

Moody70 what you are saying will upset a lot of people but I agree with you! Tell all the supermodels and those who are thin that they should eat more and yes they will get fat! I strictly followed a very low calorie diet a few years ago for around 3 months and was eating no more than 600 calories and then after that in creased it to 900 calories. I lost a lot of weight and I was training too and I didn't lack energy. I didn't feel hungry either. The only reason I don't condone that now is because it's not sustainable unless you are obsessive about it and I don't want to be like that forever.

At my current intake it's comfortable for me. The main reason I feel I have to eat back my exercise calories (like today's planned dinner which I haven't eaten yet) is for 2 reasons - 1 because I am trying to get more protein into my diet and 2 because I know I'm going to have a few drinks and I don't want to do it on an empty stomach.

Normally I would be happy to fast and not eat back my exercise calories as long as I could get the protein in but that isn't easy. From what I remember when I was on weight watchers years ago they actively condone eating more if you want to treat yourself and then less the next day to make up for it therefore effectively fasting the day after you eat more than is recommended. I have friends who are naturally thin and they consciously do that. A friend of mine who keeps fit, generally eats healthily and has a low body fat usually eats more than normal when she goes out for a meal or drinks with friends and then the following day skips a meal and it does her no harm at all. On high calorie days she's probably around 1800 and low calorie days more like 800. She's eaten that way her whole life.
  • JAT74
    Options
    psulemon if you read what I said about weight training it's not an issue. I have a fully equipped home gym in my garage so I have enough free weights, resistence bands and a multigym to do whatever I am asked plus space to use a bench, mat or whatever.
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    see that's where you are wrong and impatient,
    you say that you will try something for a week, the problem is, it talks at least a month to see results, especially for people like you who do not have a lot to lose. (far below 50 or 75pounds to lose).

Pick some recommendations:
    weight training, some running, more protein to get your to at least 16/1700, no gluten.
    That should be more than enough to focus on for a month.
    As for restaurants, ask for a salad with dressing on the side and chicken on it, they almost all have such a plate.

Anything else is in your hands and it is called willpower, change does not happen in a week ;)
  • BarbellApprentice
    Options
    You do not need protein every day. Your body is going to use stored fat before it goes to muscle. You would have to go many days without food/protein for that to happen.

My suggestions were not meant for long term sustainability but for shedding fat as quickly as possible. I thought that was your goal? The closer you get to your ideal body, the more you can increase your calories to find something you can sustain while staying lean.

Having drinks...or pizza..or donuts. or anything else is FINE. You just have to plan for it and still create a calorie deficit. The bigger the deficit the faster the fat goes bye bye.

Cutting out certain foods and worrying about protein and changing your workouts and adding more workouts and everything else is making the whole thing more complicated than it has to be. And believe me, I HAVE BEEN THERE!

Calorie deficit = fat loss.. End of story.
  • akaMrsmojo
    Options

I have read all your posts in this thread, so I am trying to listen :) I have tried most of the popular methods (diet & exercise) on myself plus quite a bit of reading and research. Here is the simple thing that it still comes back to.. In order to drop fat, more calories must be burned than calories consumed. If fat is not coming off for weeks at a time when you are 30+% body fat, then you are simply eating too much. People here will want to argue that fact, but I doubt the arguments will come from the people who have gotten ripped.

Eat below your BMR.
    Whatever your calorie count for the day is, just add 10% to it to catch the margin of error (package contents are not always accurate and we tend to want to underestimate what we actually eat).
    Do not be afraid to fast. Great way to create a calorie deficit and the more you do it the easier it becomes.

Good luck!

Oh I think you totally listen to the NEWBIE instead of the people who are successful, makes so much sense.

Rice is gluten free by the way.

If you do not want to listen to those who have been successful, start your thread that states: HEY newbies, what do you think and come back when you are ready to listen to people have been successful.
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options

you know that calories are measured by burning food right? not exactly the way you body consumes it. And some food groups help you feel full and energized when other are just empty sugars.

/sorry for the rant
  • BarbellApprentice
    Options

you know that calories are measured by burning food right? not exactly the way you body consumes it. And some food groups help you feel full and energized when other are just empty sugars.

/sorry for the rant

No problem. Not a rant at all.
    Yes, calorie is just a measure of energy.
    I certainly agree that different foods that have the same caloric value can make you feel differently. But this is a different topic than calorie deficit = fat loss.
  • BarbellApprentice
    Options

Eat below your BMR.

Good luck!

Oh I think you totally listen to the NEWBIE instead of the people who are successful, makes so much sense.

If you do not want to listen to those who have been successful, start your thread that states: HEY newbies, what do you think and come back when you are ready to listen to people have been successful.

Such a helpful reply. Thanks.
  • lucky5552
    lucky5552 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I didnt loose weight for 3 weeks.. But I also take measurements..I've lost alot of inches..Good luck with finding "YOUR RIGHT NUMBER"..I'm still trying to figure mine out..Don't quite.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    OP - so let's see if we can summarize this. You lost weight before eating 600-900 calories per day and doing a bunch of cardio, lost a whole bunch of lean body mass in the process, and now have a high level of body fat. The extreme calorie restriction messed with your metabolism and the loss of lean body mass exacerbated it further. You went back to a higher caloric intake and gained weight - because your metabolism is depressed - and a lot of it was fat since you weren't working out. Now you've been back at it for just over two weeks and say you've tried "everything" - but so far what "everything" has been is eating at an extreme deficit again and further deepening the deficit by doing a bunch of cardio - again depressing your metabolism and causing more loss of lean body mass. Can you see where you're just spinning your wheels?

Probably the best thing you could do is take a break from dieting for a couple weeks in an effort to get your body functioning at some degree of normalcy again (read this link for the how and why of it: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html), then get back to it, setting your caloric intake at a reasonable level (read this link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets) and incorporating strength training into your routine. Doing what you're doing is counterproductive and it's doubtful that you're going to be able to starve your way out of it.
  • akaMrsmojo
    Options

Eat below your BMR.

Good luck!

Such a helpful reply. Thanks.

And encouraging her to starve herself is a much better approach.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    OP - so let's see if we can summarize this. You lost weight before eating 600-900 calories per day and doing a bunch of cardio, lost a whole bunch of lean body mass in the process, and now have a high level of body fat. The extreme calorie restriction messed with your metabolism and the loss of lean body mass exacerbated it further. You went back to a higher caloric intake and gained weight - because your metabolism is depressed - and a lot of it was fat since you weren't working out. Now you've been back at it for just over two weeks and say you've tried "everything" - but so far what "everything" has been is eating at an extreme deficit again and further deepening the deficit by doing a bunch of cardio - again depressing your metabolism and causing more loss of lean body mass. Can you see where you're just spinning your wheels?

Probably the best thing you could do is take a break from dieting for a couple weeks in an effort to get your body functioning at some degree of normalcy again (read this link for the how and why of it: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html), then get back to it, setting your caloric intake at a reasonable level (read this link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets) and incorporating strength training into your routine. Doing what you're doing is counterproductive and it's doubtful that you're going to be able to starve your way out of it.

We ARE listening. ^^Here's a great thing to do^^.

I know you feel like it's out of control, but you can choose to be healthy (which MAY mean you never lose another pound). If what you're doing right now isn't working for you, do something different. The only option isn't "keep overall calorie intake at starvation level." You have other options.