sudden jump in bmi with no weight gain

Options
well i know i have been losing weight. as i need to make a 2nd hold in my belt. and i feel better for it..
today i got on the wii and my bmi has gone up by 2 but my weight seems to be the same still.
could this be muscle gain causing the jump in bmi im going the gym str training 5 days a week and a little cardio.
i was 19 stone and im now just over 18 by 2lb. so to see this jump is making me a little sad..

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    well i know i have been losing weight. as i need to make a 2nd hold in my belt. and i feel better for it..
    today i got on the wii and my bmi has gone up by 2 but my weight seems to be the same still.
    could this be muscle gain causing the jump in bmi im going the gym str training 5 days a week and a little cardio.
    i was 19 stone and im now just over 18 by 2lb. so to see this jump is making me a little sad..

BMI is calculated using height and weight isnt it? so if your height presumably has stayed the same, and your weight has gone down, i dont see how BMI can have gone up??
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    will doesnt measure body composition. it calculated BMI based on your height and weight

if your BMI went up on the wii then it's because you gained weight from the last time you weighed yourself on the wii or you somehow set your height as shorter
  • Miss_Aurora
    Options
    Did you check the weight graph on the wii to see if it's changed as well?

Perhaps it's time to change the batteries in the balance board.

As much as my wii fluctuates, I've been weighing myself on the bathroom scales as well .. and they both fluctuate at the same rate, so I do think I can rely on the wii, even if I don't like what it's saying.

The only exceptions to this is if I've moved the wii to a different spot or if i've had to stand on and off it (eg when it doesn't callibrate properly) ... Usually I just accept the day's weight and try again the next day or 2 days later.
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Since the wii board doesn't measure body composition you've either gained weightsince you last used it or it's a hardware/software issue. There may be problems with the sensors or prehaps it needs recalibrated.

What your wearing and how much you've eaten could also effect the number if it is different from the last time you weighted yourself.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    There is flaw in Wii's calculator.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm not fan of BMI anyway. If you exercise, it's not a good judge.
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    If you still need to loose weight carry on with your diet and exercise regime!
    Your not blind I take it . Take body measurements with a tape measure and then you will
    see any changes regardless of weight and muscle composition!
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I think the actual scale is wrong on the wii i feel like. I tried my in law's and It told me once I was 115lbs. And I have NEVER seen that number on an actual scale. I was about 122lbs at that time, by mine & the dr's scale.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    is she using different methods to calculate the BMI?

Because there are different formulas to calculating BMI's. Make sure you use the same formula every time
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    There is flaw in Wii's calculator.

x2
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Because there are different formulas to calculating BMI's. Make sure you use the same formula every time

No - there is ONLY 1 method of calculating BMI - I think you are thinking of BMR.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    So BMI only takes height and weight into account. If your weight stayed the same, how did your BMI get higher? Did you get shorter?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

No - there is ONLY 1 method of calculating BMI - I think you are thinking of BMR.

Yes, sorry I got them mixed up. You are correct my good sir
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

The Wii uses a different one...which is obviously wrong as there is only one method. Somehow they do not take weight into account.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I moved my Wii board to vacuum and the next morning it said I lost 11 pounds. Don't I wish! Think I will stick with my bathroom scale for weighing, and use the Wii for exercising.
  • SeahorseDolphin
    Options
    BMI is pretty useless when calculating health. It does't take into account things like muscle tone as you mentioned. For that you should by some calipers to measure your body fat percentage. If you are losing weight and getting healthier, I don't see why it matters. Stay motivated!
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'd check your batteries
  • lschotto
    Options
    I agree, I know people that are pure muscle, and their BMI is too high becuse they are dense. How ae your clothes in general? If hey are good,just keep going..
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    bmi is weight and height. i have lost inches and gained lbs at the same time so dont worry about the bmi if you are getting smaller!!
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    BMI is a joke. Go by your body fat percentage