Comfort Food

Options
I am in need of some comfort food recipes with out the extreme calories!!! Any ideas would be fantastic!!

Replies

• rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    What is comforting for you? I like warm soups and stews when I feel like I need some extra love and care and warmth, but I suspect that may not be what you're thinking.
  • kayla2709
    kayla2709 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Stews and soups!!! its -6 here and am fighting the urge to eat a curry!!!!! Help required!!!!
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter on a spoon. :laugh:
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter on a spoon. :laugh:

Or PB on a rice plain rice cake :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    stew is low cal, just throw in any veg you like with some meat... mine comes out at about 400 cals for a decent size portion.
  • KarenKickingIt
    Options
    When I need comfort food I turn to a big bowl of porride oats. Warms me right up and keeps me feeling full for ages :)
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple, just put a lot of vegetables in a pot, preferably with some stuff that will turn to mash, to get that thick consistency that's so comforting. Foe inastance: root cellery, parsley root, sweet potatoes, turnips, carrots, also pumpkin is good. Then throw in some wonderful herbs, a little bit of salt and not too much water. I often use meat mainly as a spice, frying a little bit of bacon or using some slices from a spicy sausage: weigh it so you know how many calories the meat adds. Let it cook slowly until everything is soft and fragrant, then go ahead, enjoy. By using vegetables in stews you keep all the vitamins, and you can adjust it according to what you have and what you like. Of course, check the calorie count, but you'll find it is surprisingly low as long as you don't add a lot of oil, butter or other fat.

The problem with curries is the coconut milk or cream, which is very rich. If you don't use regular cream or coconut milk you avoid a lot of calories in vegetable pots.

This reminds me, I put a soup bone on earlier today, I guess it's cooled down now so I can get the meat off it and can throw in the vegetables: Sweet potato, parsnip, beets and Jerusalem artichokes. I'll use some dried rosemary, and perhaps even drop in some dried apricots, because the bone I made the stock with is salted and dried mutton, which makes it very sharp. Something sweet will make it a little rounder and more comforting in taste.

Potatoes are really good in stews by the way, I am just avoiding them, as I am trying to keep the quick carbs down a bit. If you don't need to worry about that, cooked potatoes are healthy and yummy for stuff like this!
  • kayla2709
    kayla2709 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips!!
  • losingweightfindingme
    Options
    I made a seriously awesome Creamy Chicken-Spinach Soup yesterday. It is a Weight Watchers recipe and is usually about 300 cals/serving but I am not a genius cook and I misread the recipe (leaving the tortellini in their cooking water) which ended up essentially doubling the recipe but cutting the calorie count. By my mfp recipe calculations, making 1 serving 232 calories/serving. A serving size is 1 cup and it's seriously filling. I'll include the link to the recipe. I cooked 2 packages of tortellini in 2 quarts of water (substituting 16 oz of the water for 1 can of ff ls chicken broth. I also added 1 more can of low-fat cream of chicken soup to thicken. I also used a 16 oz bag of spinach instead of a 10 oz one.

http://www.food.com/recipe/creamy-chicken-spinach-soup-163401
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Haystacks.

White hamburger gravy over rice. The calories aren't too bad, as long as you eat a reasonable portion of it and don't pig out. (You'll probably want to, though, it is soooo good, esp if you add a little crushed red pepper flakes to the gravy)
  • jollyjo777
    Options
    Try skinnytaste.com for some great recipes.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I note OP you are in UK, there is a thread here on Asda crumpets, now they are comfort food
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/858899-crumpets-message-for-the-brits

Or how about Hairy Dieters recipes on C4 web site for some, or the book is on offer in some supermarkets [but not WH Smith,s]
  • run_amok
    run_amok Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I live in snowy Canada and crave warm hearty soups this time of year. I made this recipe for Black Bean, Sweet Potato, and Red Quinoa Soup a couple of weeks ago, from one of my favourite sites for meal inspiration - Oh She Glows. When I input the recipe into MFP it came out around 165 calories per serving, with a decent 5 grams of protein, and it is very filling! Top it with some avocado, salsa and cilantro for a yummy mexican flavour. Makes a great filling lunch, or have it with some cornbread for dinner :)
    Don't be put off by the long ingredient list - its easy to make!
    http://ohsheglows.com/2012/11/30/black-bean-sweet-potato-and-red-quinoa-soup/