Banana's friend or foe ?

Options

Replies

• SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    Just make sure you weight them. I estimated mine to be "medium" bananas (about 100 calories), but it turns out that I've been eating medium-large or large bananas (150-200 calories).
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I love bananas and eat them whenever I feel like it. As long as I hit my protein and calorie targets for the day I don't care what the rest of it is made up of... as long as it's mostly real food.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    bananas are my friend! I love them so much. Sometimes two a day and I still lose weight.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Bananas are sooooo good. If they're bad for me, oh well. We're all just slowly dying anyway.
  • HuwaydaS
    HuwaydaS Posts: 116
    Options
    They may be high in calories, but for a good reason " They keep you filled for a long while! "
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    High calorie? How is 110-120 considered high calories? Thats a perfect sized snack.

I agree that it's not a vast amount, but I think that it does seem high calorie compared to most other fruits. 120 is fine, if you're eating it because you particularly like bananas, but it's high if you're not so keen and are looking for something to make up your fruit and veg portions. Fine for something you want to eat, high for something you should eat :).

Bananas aren't a favourite of mine, but when I do buy them I usually buy small ones. And then only if there are green-skinned ones available.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have a banana with wheat toast and organic peanut butter pretty much every morning. They are kinda high in carbs and sugars so for low carbers they don't eat them much. But It hasen't hurt my weight loss any. :) good luck
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I don't believe I've ever gained weight while eating too many bananas. Donuts, cake and cookies? Yeah.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I use 1 frozen banana in my Chocolate Protein shake it is so good! Frozen banana will thicken smoothies or protein shakes. A Banana is high in carbs but not high in calories.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    They look pretty friendly to me. This must be their friend. Not their foe.

d1nUEu4.jpg

Bananas are not bad for you!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Well I just ate two pretty large navel oranges as a snack and that's 150 calories or so... even just a little over. Good snack for meeeee!
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    i ate 4 sometimes 5 bananas a day and had no trouble losing the weight
    i fit them into my diary though.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    BEST friend! :love:

I eat 1 or 2 every day and i'm slimming down. I just try make sure that whatever i eat it fits into my goal for the day (or weekly average)
  • davidpearly
    davidpearly Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something? MFP says a medium banana is 105 calories. That doesn't seem like a lot of calories to me. I eat 2-3 a day and find them to be a great filling snack. Maybe I'm doing it wrong! LOL

this
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I like to eat them once in awhile. Or half of one to keep from having a carb/sugar rush.

However, I found out that eating just a banana before a workout left me alarmingly dizzy the rest of the day, so won't do that again! Other people think they're a great pre-workout food though. Everyone is different.
  • sfilly
    sfilly Posts: 3
    Options
    I have a banana and a teaspoon of organic peanut butter nearly every day for breakfast, and I'm losing weight!
    I don't have coffee in the morning ever, instead I get my energy from natural fruit sugar, and feel great!
    Bananas are also supposed to help with muscle soreness!

Bananas are great, just count them into your daily calories and it should be fine!
    I always look forward to them in the morning, favourite breakfast!

I think the whole 'bananas are too high calorie' comes from the whole background of crazy calorie restricting, and the 'bad food' vs 'good food' rules of yo-yo dieting --- which is unhealthy!
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Unnecessary apostrophe's, friend or foe?
    The apostrophe is why I clicked on the thread... I didn't understand what it would be about. I was thinking along the line of; banana's friend, I would say is yogurt. Banana's foe would be a sandwich, I just don't get that...

if a peanut butter and banana sammich was good enough for Elvis, it should be good enough for everybody!

thankyouverymuch.
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    I eat a banana almost every single day. Just one though. Banana's are much better than a bag of chips, lol. I totally love banana's. They are amazing. I wouldn't worry about it ;-)
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Bananas make it difficult to stay under calories. I had a 156g banana this morning which was 143 calories. Yikes!
  • kellyraesmik
    kellyraesmik Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bananas are my favorite! I do stick to usually one a day, but sometimes at night my husband makes this sweet chocolate/peanut butter/banana smoothie where I get another half, but 1 a day is good for me. Not too many calories in my book. I think its worth it!