Ow, my toe!

Options
Okay, so I'm completely new to sports injuries. I had been SUCH a couch potato. Before February I hadn't done any really challenging exercise since high school (I'm 25).

So I've been working out 5 days a week, doing elliptical, racquetball and strength training. And my big toe is hurts on one of my feet and I have no idea why or what to do about it. It just feels sore and stiff a lot.

I have not stubbed my toe or dropped anything on my foot or anything like that that could have broken it.

I can touch it and move it and I don't have sharp pain. It feels more like I have somehow been lifting weights with just that toe. Sore and stiff. (And according to my husband, a tiny bit swollen.)

Anyone out there experience this? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You might have jammed it into the toe of your shoe with a sudden stop in racquetball. Take it easy on it for a week, and RICE it. If it is still sore and swollen after taking a break off it, then you might want to see about an xray. Hope it's minor.
  • veggieheadie
    Options
    When I first started working out, the same thing happened. I'm not really sure what caused it. I actually lost my toe nail on that toe. It was just kind of an annoyance. When it became really sore, I took a day or so off. Something that helped me was soaking that foot in hot water with epson salt. Eventually my toe stopped hurting and its fine now, no matter how hard I work out.
  • arfletcher
    arfletcher Posts: 143
    Options
    is it the joint of your big toe? or is it the whole toe? if its the joint it is always worth looking into a)arthritis (I am 25 and have arthritis in my feet and hips - thanks mom and grandma!) or b) you jammed it doing something - or on the off change it might be something like gout (sp?). Take it easy - slow down when it hurts - and if it doesnt get better, see a doctor!
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    is it the joint of your big toe? or is it the whole toe? if its the joint it is always worth looking into a)arthritis (I am 25 and have arthritis in my feet and hips - thanks mom and grandma!) or b) you jammed it doing something - or on the off change it might be something like gout (sp?). Take it easy - slow down when it hurts - and if it doesnt get better, see a doctor!

it's pretty much the whole thing. I mean, the stiffness is universal, and the pain - I can feel it in the joint, on the top of the toe around the nail, everything.

Ugh. Evil, your name is arthritis. I already have it in my knees and ankle from injuries. I sincerely hope this is not me getting it in my feet.
  • mmccurrach
    mmccurrach Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I lost my toenail too because it was slightly too long and was hitting up against my shoe. It ended up turning black, then fell off. Not sure if that's the same thing you have but just a warning because I had no idea that even happened! Yuck! It's grown back and no problems now but I was freaked!
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    Ack! Scary! Self-pedicure tonight! Just in case. I broke half of mine off once about a year ago and that was not pleasant enough.
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I'm completely new to sports injuries. I had been SUCH a couch potato. Before February I hadn't done any really challenging exercise since high school (I'm 25).

So I've been working out 5 days a week, doing elliptical, racquetball and strength training. And my big toe is hurts on one of my feet and I have no idea why or what to do about it. It just feels sore and stiff a lot.

I have not stubbed my toe or dropped anything on my foot or anything like that that could have broken it.

I can touch it and move it and I don't have sharp pain. It feels more like I have somehow been lifting weights with just that toe. Sore and stiff. (And according to my husband, a tiny bit swollen.)

Anyone out there experience this? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks!

You might have a buised toe. Does it hurt when you walk and put pressure on it? I had badly bruised big toe playing coed soccer. I didn't notice until after the half was over that it hurt to run. Went home and then ended going to the emergency room because it was throubbing. They couldn't do anything for it and it just needed rest. After a few days in a boot, it slowly got better over the week.

Good Luck.