Ab Soreness

Options
Hi all.

I'm new to MFP--10 days/2 pounds lost--and this is my first post.

I'm trying out some classes at my health club. Last Friday I did a combo spinning/strength training class. As I've been pretty sedentary for the past few years (okay, 6 years), it was very intense, but I felt great afterward, so it seemed within my abilities. For the last few days, though, my abs have been really sore.

The strength training part of the class consists of 15-second reps of various floor/mat exercises (some with hand weights) and a few TRX exercises. It's a very fast-paced, 30-minute class. During the session I could feel my abs getting a great workout, and as I said, I felt great (but pretty spent) afterward. But now the abs are pretty sore, such that I feel them getting in and out of bed. Doing crunches is a bit uncomfortable, but not unbearable.

So here's my question: Did I overdo it by jumping into something maybe a bit too intense? Or, is it just normal soreness that I can work through by continuing the class (which I really liked) and other ab exercises? FWIW, I'm 47, female, and am seeking to lose 23 pounds for now (which would put me at 135 on a 5'6" frame). So, I'm not too overweight, but definitely out of shape.

Thanks for any help. I'm also going to talk to the instructor, but there's so much knowledge here, I thought I'd try to mine some. :smile:

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    It's normal. Should go away in a couple weeks if you keep at it. I wouldn't bother with crunches though. Ton of info on body recomposition here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/848374-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners-2013-edition
  • BrownEyeAngel
    BrownEyeAngel Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I would stay at it! 'No Pain No Gain' is what they say and I believe it is normal to be sore after those work outs you are doing. Building inner core strength. Keep it up!! I will get easier... ~Angela
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I think there's a very distinct difference between being sore and being hurt. If you're just sore, it's pretty much your body dealing with the huge change in routine. In vague terms, I think soreness is just a general ache when you pull at the muscles, hurt is a sharper pain?

I know when I started getting back into shape, after a good workout I'd feel it in my abs and glutes for days (I could feel the soreness just with the movement of sitting down and standing up!). I took a certain pride in that, though, that's how you know that you're putting good strain on your body.

If you're just doing a half hour or hour class, and feeling sore because of that... I think that you'll see that improve dramatically over the course of a month or so. Eventually it shouldn't make you sore unless you increase the intensity of what you're doing. If you're spending multiple hours a day on this and it's making you sore constantly (and miserable), I would consider cutting back some. Basically, do what makes you happy, because that's the routine you'll be able to keep up with. If you're enjoying the class, keep it up. Good luck!
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I can feel it just standing up and down, but it's not too intense. Glad to hear it's just the normal soreness one would feel after working muscles that have been neglected for too long. I'm looking forward to the class today!