The Biggest Loser

Options
2»

Replies

• HawkeyeGuy
    HawkeyeGuy Posts: 183
    Options
    I used to really love watching the show but unfortunately now some of the contestants have come forward and told some of the ridiculous and very dangerous methods that are used to get some of those big numbers, expecially for the final weigh in. Two that I have seen interviews from say that before the weigh in they basically starved themselves and dehydrated themselves to the point where one contestant was actually urinating blood. He went on to say that by doing this he lost 31 extra pounds for the weigh in but gained in back within a week or two.

Julie one of the previous contestants later admitted that the weight she had gotten to by the end of the show would only be maintainable with a diet of I think it was less than 1200 calories and 7 days a week of 4-6 hour workouts. She ended up regaining a little weight on purpose so that she could maintain it.

I just feel that some of the contestants are there for the money first and the health second and to me that is setting some of them up for failure.

These are the "facts" we rely on to stay in ruts? Simple facts show this is NOT TRUE. If you were on a 1200 calorie a day diet, and worked out moderately for averaging 5 hours a day, for 7 days a week (1200 calories in less 650 cals per hour x 5 hours = 3250 calories a day less BMR, let's keep it convervative at 1200) equals a weekly deficit of almost 7 pounds! This is a prima facie falsehood. These are the EXACT things we need to get educated about.

Let's just say this was a superbeing and they did work out averaging 5 hours a day. SCIENCE and FACTS show that she could eat 4450 calories PER DAY to maintain the weight loss. Yes, BMR + Additional Exercise would equal 4450.

Being fit is NOT bad! If you get there in a hurry, it might be tough on you and your body, but making excuses and staying overweight is worse!!! Educate yourself with facts - not what someone else that doesn't like working out said!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify - they do not have the contestants on less than 1000 calories per day. It's about 1400 for women and 1800 for men from what I've seen. "Most" of the contestants do not yo yo. "Most" of the contestants to gain a little back after the finale because to win the $$ they will go as far as they can go. Helen - won last season or 2 ago - gained back like 15 - 20 lbs. She looks super now whereas at the finale she looked like a skeleton. She is maintaining there. Several have put back on 10 - 40 lbs. But they lost over 100! They are under medical supervision and on TV - this is not the real world. We can lose weight and get healthy. But not at that rate, we do have life to live also.

I have mixed feelings for last night's show, but I only saw the last hour. I'll have to watch the whole show when it comes on Fri or Sat and then see how I feel. That statement "I did it this week with the "work week" so it can be done at home" is what I'm having issues with. Yes, it absolutely can be done at home. I just think that the statement sets people up for unrealistic expectations - most of us won't be able to lose more than 1 - 2 lbs per week and maintain it in a healthy manner. Just because someone on tv worked 8 hours and still lost 9 lbs in one week doesn't mean I'll be able to do that!
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I used to really love watching the show but unfortunately now some of the contestants have come forward and told some of the ridiculous and very dangerous methods that are used to get some of those big numbers, expecially for the final weigh in. Two that I have seen interviews from say that before the weigh in they basically starved themselves and dehydrated themselves to the point where one contestant was actually urinating blood. He went on to say that by doing this he lost 31 extra pounds for the weigh in but gained in back within a week or two.

Julie one of the previous contestants later admitted that the weight she had gotten to by the end of the show would only be maintainable with a diet of I think it was less than 1200 calories and 7 days a week of 4-6 hour workouts. She ended up regaining a little weight on purpose so that she could maintain it.

I just feel that some of the contestants are there for the money first and the health second and to me that is setting some of them up for failure.

These are the "facts" we rely on to stay in ruts? Simple facts show this is NOT TRUE. If you were on a 1200 calorie a day diet, and worked out moderately for averaging 5 hours a day, for 7 days a week (1200 calories in less 650 cals per hour x 5 hours = 3250 calories a day less BMR, let's keep it convervative at 1200) equals a weekly deficit of almost 7 pounds! This is a prima facie falsehood. These are the EXACT things we need to get educated about.

Let's just say this was a superbeing and they did work out averaging 5 hours a day. SCIENCE and FACTS show that she could eat 4450 calories PER DAY to maintain the weight loss. Yes, BMR + Additional Exercise would equal 4450.

Being fit is NOT bad! If you get there in a hurry, it might be tough on you and your body, but making excuses and staying overweight is worse!!! Educate yourself with facts - not what someone else that doesn't like working out said!

Ok I really don't know if you took this the wrong way or not. When I spoke about Julie she was speaking honestly about what she was having to do for her own well being. She gained a little yes but was still healthy and I can't blame her for not wanting to do everthing she had to do to maintain the lower weight because she has kids a job a family ect.

As for your last comment if that was directed toward me then you are way wrong if you you think it applies to me. and I would appreciate you not direct a comment to me not even knowing me or having an understanding of what I do in my day to day life.
  • HawkeyeGuy
    Options

Ok I really don't know if you took this the wrong way or not. When I spoke about Julie she was speaking honestly about what she was having to do for her own well being. She gained a little yes but was still healthy and I can't blame her for not wanting to do everthing she had to do to maintain the lower weight because she has kids a job a family ect.

As for your last comment if that was directed toward me then you are way wrong if you you think it applies to me. and I would appreciate you not direct a comment to me not even knowing me or having an understanding of what I do in my day to day life.

The point wasn't to 'direct' anything at anybody - it's to stop the ideas that float around so easy that aren't true. No matter what "Julie" (not sure who she even said is) said, it isn't true and has no logical basis. And if someone thinks they'll need to workout 5 hours a day on a 1200 calorie diet to maintain their fitness once they get there, I guarantee it WILL keep someone from even trying. And that's not the right thing to do.

My comments aren't directed to hurt anyone, but they are intended to stop people from putting things out there that have no basis on science and could keep someone from even trying to reach their goal.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    That article that was referenced is amusing. It clearly points to an often unstated fact - all too often we look for excuses to not get in shape and put in the extra work. I'm not saying anyone in this thread is guilty of it (only close self-examination can answer that!). But I know I was guilty of it for a long time, and it was sad when I realized what I was doing.

It was SO much easier to say, "geez, I wouldn't want to work out any harder, might 'overtrain'". Ha! I'm doing 90+ minutes of intense workout a day now, 6 days a week (Saturdays are typically 3 hours - as I train for an adventure race), and I have yet to overtrain - though I eat right, and get the sleep necessary. Back to the article - Yes, the summer heat is hot, and yes they work out after vomiting - well so what! We all need to get off our butts, and hit it hard. I'd rather see people experience dehydration and excessively rapid weight loss rather than becoming overweight burdens on the health care system and dealing with every disease associated with obesity out there. I look back, and agree that what I'm doing today is more challenging than laying on the couch and looking for excuses, but the rewards and return on my investment are simply immeasurable.

This is coming from a guy who went through 6 months of chemo and high dose prednisone treatments for a kidney disease. If I can do it, so can you - if you avoid the excuses and truly want it. Now go workout.

This is well said!
    I have a friend who is always asking me if I want to go out to eat with her. The whole time she complains that she is eating high fat high calorie meals, but she never does anything about it. I stopped going out to eat with her and now when she asks I say that I can't go to eat but I am going for a walk if she wants to hang out we can walk together. She has yet to go walking with me but one of these days, once she is ready, I'll be here for her. It really is about making the choice and doing it. Yes it is hard, yes I want a cheese burger, but I want to be healthy more.

Sometimes you need to pick the less of two evils. I think that The Biggest Loser shows people who have all but given up to hold on and work hard for themselves. If your choice is lose fast vs staying fat and dying young I would make the change 100 times over!
  • BamaRose0107
    Options

The point wasn't to 'direct' anything at anybody - it's to stop the ideas that float around so easy that aren't true. No matter what "Julie" (not sure who she even said is) said, it isn't true and has no logical basis. And if someone thinks they'll need to workout 5 hours a day on a 1200 calorie diet to maintain their fitness once they get there, I guarantee it WILL keep someone from even trying. And that's not the right thing to do.

My comments aren't directed to hurt anyone, but they are intended to stop people from putting things out there that have no basis on science and could keep someone from even trying to reach their goal.

I was going by Julie's interview she did on the season finale of the Biggest Loser that showed where past contestants from previous shows were at in their weightloss. She was unable to maintain because the weight was to low for her, not in her opinio but her doctors opinion and I was just stating that while the numbers are large in the show sometimes it is not realistic for them in real life. The fact that that she gained a little weight and was still in the haelthy range, but could maintain it for the rest of her life does not mean she did not like exercise or want to make excuses.

The reason I got irritated at your last comment was because you quoted my post and and said educate yourself with the facts.. not what someone else that doesn't like working out said, which directs it toward me and makes an assumption about someone that is simply an opinion.
  • HawkeyeGuy
    Options

I was going by Julie's interview she did on the season finale of the Biggest Loser that showed where past contestants from previous shows were at in their weightloss. She was unable to maintain because the weight was to low for her, not in her opinio but her doctors opinion and I was just stating that while the numbers are large in the show sometimes it is not realistic for them in real life. The fact that that she gained a little weight and was still in the haelthy range, but could maintain it for the rest of her life does not mean she did not like exercise or want to make excuses.

The reason I got irritated at your last comment was because you quoted my post and and said educate yourself with the facts.. not what someone else that doesn't like working out said, which directs it toward me and makes an assumption about someone that is simply an opinion.

No, it's not my opinion, and it wasn't the idea of healthy weight that bothers me. It's the FACTS that get me irritated. i.e. working out 7 days a week for 5 hours and a 1200 calorie diet to maintain a weight. This is simply not true. And if someone out there just starting out reads that, and believes it, who would want to be fit!? I know I wouldn't.

It's untrue statements like that which give people the excuses I refer to - and they don't need additional reasons not to get off the couch. So, yes, if someone quotes the numbers above, they do need to get educated on how the body and weight loss works. Now, to keep from being a hypocrite, I'm done with this banter, and I'm going to get on my bike and ride, and ride, and ride...
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I love the show. It gives me motivation and inspiration. I know some of the methods are sketchy and I know Im smart enough not to buy into those methods.

I do credit the show for motivating me to start exercising again. Watching these people work out so hard makes me more determined to get off my butt and get moving. I dont profess to exercise 6-8 hours a day and I dont think Id ever do that, but I went from no exercise to building up to 1hr. a day and most of that came only after watching this program.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Jennplus2
    "yes I want a cheese burger, but I want to be healthy more. "

Love this!!! :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: Funny how sometimes a simple statement can hit you just right. That's how it hit me!

I'm not sitting here eating a cheeseburger:noway: :laugh: but I sure can relate to storing that line in my head when I wait too long to eat or have a craving for less than healthy foods
    :flowerforyou: thanks!
  • BombolinaM
    BombolinaM Posts: 561 Member
    Options

I absolutely agree!! The reason we are all here is to lose weight.

HawkeyeGuy- Getting up and moving is one thing but there is a lot we don't see. It is a contest to see who will lose the most. Being healthy is number 1! I take an 1 1/2 exercising a day. Including in my day to day routine ie work and family.

I posted this thread because I was shocked at how much and how fast she lost. Whether or not the comments were towards anybody I had no intentions of people getting upset. . We all joined this website to lose weight and get support. MFP had been great. Here's a clip from an article I found:

Most health experts are concerned that this show might be giving the wrong message to those wanting to lose weight. The biggest concerns come from how much weight is lost over a small period of time and how hard these contestants are pushed to lose that weight.

The goal behind losing weight is to make sure you keep those unwanted pounds off. According to health and fitness experts, that means losing around 1 to 2 pounds a week. On this show contestants regularly lose 10 to 20 pounds a week.

Now some of them admit they dehydrated themselves during the show to get the most weight loss possible.

Unfortunately, losing weight this quickly usually means you'll end up gaining most of that weight right back.

One contestant, Ryan Benson, according to the New York Times article, initially lost 122 pounds but has gained back most of the lost pounds and now weighs in at more than 300 pounds.

On top of that, the extreme exercise routines they use worry doctors since it can stress the heart of a person whose weight alone has already placed excessive demands on their body.

Last season, one contestant was hospitalized after a one-mile run, prompting the medical consultant for the show, Dr. Rob Huizenga, to admit: "If we had to do it over, we wouldn't do it. It was an unexpected complication and we're going to do better."

Perhaps the most important message to those watching the show and motivated to lose weight "The Biggest Loser" way is to remember that this is a reality show so it doesn't reflect what most of us can do in our everyday lives.

Contestants work out four to six hours a day, have numerous consultants watching over everything they eat and a huge motivation to lose weight since the winner gets a big financial reward.

For the rest of us, focusing on a goal of losing 1 to 2 pounds a week, and making lifelong changes that keep the weight off are the not-so-secret secrets to getting in better shape.
  • BombolinaM
    Options
    Totally agree!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Jennplus2
    "yes I want a cheese burger, but I want to be healthy more. "

Love this!!! :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: Funny how sometimes a simple statement can hit you just right. That's how it hit me!

I'm not sitting here eating a cheeseburger:noway: :laugh: but I sure can relate to storing that line in my head when I wait too long to eat or have a craving for less than healthy foods
    :flowerforyou: thanks!

Actually I think this has now become my Mantra:love: , it makes me smile and is a pretty powerful statement!:drinker:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

I absolutely agree!! The reason we are all here is to lose weight.

HawkeyeGuy- Getting up and moving is one thing but there is a lot we don't see. It is a contest to see who will lose the most. Being healthy is number 1! I take an 1 1/2 exercising a day. Including in my day to day routine ie work and family.

I posted this thread because I was shocked at how much and how fast she lost. Whether or not the comments were towards anybody I had no intentions of people getting upset. . We all joined this website to lose weight and get support. MFP had been great. Here's a clip from an article I found:

Most health experts are concerned that this show might be giving the wrong message to those wanting to lose weight. The biggest concerns come from how much weight is lost over a small period of time and how hard these contestants are pushed to lose that weight.

The goal behind losing weight is to make sure you keep those unwanted pounds off. According to health and fitness experts, that means losing around 1 to 2 pounds a week. On this show contestants regularly lose 10 to 20 pounds a week.

Now some of them admit they dehydrated themselves during the show to get the most weight loss possible.

Unfortunately, losing weight this quickly usually means you'll end up gaining most of that weight right back.

One contestant, Ryan Benson, according to the New York Times article, initially lost 122 pounds but has gained back most of the lost pounds and now weighs in at more than 300 pounds.

On top of that, the extreme exercise routines they use worry doctors since it can stress the heart of a person whose weight alone has already placed excessive demands on their body.

Last season, one contestant was hospitalized after a one-mile run, prompting the medical consultant for the show, Dr. Rob Huizenga, to admit: "If we had to do it over, we wouldn't do it. It was an unexpected complication and we're going to do better."

Perhaps the most important message to those watching the show and motivated to lose weight "The Biggest Loser" way is to remember that this is a reality show so it doesn't reflect what most of us can do in our everyday lives.

Contestants work out four to six hours a day, have numerous consultants watching over everything they eat and a huge motivation to lose weight since the winner gets a big financial reward.

For the rest of us, focusing on a goal of losing 1 to 2 pounds a week, and making lifelong changes that keep the weight off are the not-so-secret secrets to getting in better shape.

Very well said:flowerforyou:
  • BombolinaM
    Options
    I enjoy where the doctor shows their health improvement numbers, they have so much to lose that every pound is giving them better health advantages. No, they can't keep it up at that rate forever but it is a good jump start for most. I follow Shay from last season on Twitter, that girl is doing great at home, she was given the incentive at the end of last season by Subway to lose more weight by the finalle in May and they will pay her $1000.00 for each pound she loses. From what I read she is doing great and has become a huge inspiration., can't wait to see her. Not all contestants stick with their new lifestyle, it is hard, but it is so good to see those that do succeed.

That's awesome she is keeping it up!! I felt so bad for her when she got voted off!!
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I enjoy where the doctor shows their health improvement numbers, they have so much to lose that every pound is giving them better health advantages. No, they can't keep it up at that rate forever but it is a good jump start for most. I follow Shay from last season on Twitter, that girl is doing great at home, she was given the incentive at the end of last season by Subway to lose more weight by the finalle in May and they will pay her $1000.00 for each pound she loses. From what I read she is doing great and has become a huge inspiration., can't wait to see her. Not all contestants stick with their new lifestyle, it is hard, but it is so good to see those that do succeed.

That's awesome she is keeping it up!! I felt so bad for her when she got voted off!!

I love seeing shay succeed in her journey! I am so glad they chose to keep following her story.