preparing for pregnancy

Options
Hi everyone,

I am interested in reading about preparing the body for pregnancy. Not what to eat *during* pregnancy, but what to eat to prepare for it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Replies

• knelson422
    Options
    I have had 6 babies. My best pregnancies were the ones that I was eating well before I got pregnant. Meaning, lots of veggies, some protein, fruit, healthy carbs. And, sleeping well and exercising. I just found that if I took care of myself well before I was pregnant, I felt better during the pregnancy. I still gained the weight and everything, but I felt better.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I ate pretty much the same thing before as during. Because you never know when it's going to happen, I avoided raw fish sushi, alcohol, soft cheese, etc. between ovulation and my period. I kept it simple--lots of fresh produce, whole grains, and lean meats and dairy. There's no magic thing to eat, just try to be as healthy before as you would be during. Good luck!
  • NurseCarolyn2014
    Options
    Start taking folic acid now. It's very important for the development of the spinal column in the first 30 days but most people do not realize they are pregnant until at least 30 days. When you are thinking about getting pregnant you should start taking it.
  • nsondy
    nsondy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am going to be trying for another baby soon and so I eat high in folic acid, leafy greens, some fruits, peas, beans, nuts & seeds, whole grains. So really, if you eat a well rounded diet you are probably going to get plenty of folic acid, but if you don't eat a lot of those things, maybe try incorporating them into your diet.
  • fatblaster2012
    Options
    Great advice! I am looking to lose weight and get healthy so we can have a baby. Does anyone have any other advice?