Does one splurge ruin all your efforts?

Options
Hey guys. Yesterday was a super stressful day. I barely ate all day and when the evening came I pigged out on low fat potato chips and greek yogurt dip. Now I'm worried my weeks of effort are ruined and I'll have to start again! How does this work? Is going over your calorie goal every once in awhile okay? Comments please!

Replies

• fatyoga
    fatyoga Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It will only ruin all your efforts if you let it by giving in and giving up. One day of bad eating does not make you fat just like one day of good eating does not make you skinny. Give yourself a break, get back on track today, and don't give up!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    No.

And next time, don't wait until the end of the day to eat. :flowerforyou:
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    No you could see a minor set back on the scale because of all the salt but it isn't possible to ruin the entire week. You have learned a good lesson though. Keep some healthy snacks where you can get to them. Whole grain crackers a piece of fruit, protien bar something like that to keep yourself going on those kinds of days.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    no, it will not ruin your efforts.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Just move on and learn from what you did... you didn't eat all day, and surprise surprise, you made bad choices because of it. Though I have to wonder - did you really eat an entire day's worth of calories and more in potato chips and dip? That leads me to believe that maybe your calorie goal is unrealistically low to begin with
  • purpletunic
    purpletunic Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I did eat during the day, but very sparingly. I had half a slimfast shake for breakfast and two of those tiny chicken nuggets for lunch. I finally ate some chicken and flaxseed with potato puffs (like taters) for dinner but at that point i was so hungry that it didn't fill me.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I did eat during the day, but very sparingly. I had half a slimfast shake for breakfast and two of those tiny chicken nuggets for lunch. I finally ate some chicken and flaxseed with potato puffs (like taters) for dinner but at that point i was so hungry that it didn't fill me.
    Sounds like you're not eating anywhere near enough to fuel your body anyway. The splurge probably did you good. Eating at such low calorie levels will do a lot more damage to you than your "splurge" did.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Not at all. Just keep following your plan and you'll do well.
  • 55sc
    55sc Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It takes 3500 excess calories to gain one pound. If you ate 3500 calories worth of potato chips in addition to what you needed for the day, you'd gain. It isn't likely you ate that many.

You could easily gain several pounds overnight due to the salt, though a couple of days drinking a healthy amount of water would take care of it.

You splurged, it's ok. Now get back on track, and move on.
  • annapcc
    annapcc Posts: 34
    Options
    Ahhh! I just searched to try to find something similar.... I started a week ago today and have lost 8.4 pounds... BUT... Tonight I was supposed to go to sushi with some friends... long story short, the sushi place had an hour wait so we went somewhere else and I was really bad. I had been good all week and then had 4 chicken tenders and fries! I don't know what I was thinking. I guess it will be fine.. But I don't want it to ruin what I have done... I am back on it tomorrow, so I guess as long as I move forward, I am fine. It was one meal.... That's what I am telling myself...
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    For all you know, at the end of the day you still could possibly be under your TDEE, which is what you need to eat to maintain weight. Don't stress about it.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I had several 3,000 calorie splurge days in the last month. It did stop me from losing weight, but I made sure to not regain a thing. I have upped my calories to reduce hunger and now I am back to losing again.

The most important thing is to do well the next day. Do not give up.
  • simpsona5
    Options
    I tend to be bad most weekends (although not as bad as I use to be). It then takes a couple of days for that to flush out of my system and then I'm back to losing weight again. You will be fine so long as you keep trying.:happy: