Vegan Protein???

Options
Hello all.

Recently my wife and I decided that we were not going to eat meat or dairy anymore.
Is there anyone else out there in the MFP universe that is on this journey?
How do you get the protein you need daily?
Any other tips?

Anything would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

DeLiRI0uS

Replies

• jonesdav254
    jonesdav254 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Some Americans (at one time including me!!) are obsessed with protein. My vegan friends (you included) ask questions about where they can get their protein.

Years ago, athletes used to eat thick steaks before competition because they thought it would improve their performance. Protein supplements are sold at health food stores. Regretfully, According to the Institute of Medicine, this concern about protein is misplaced. Although protein is certainly an essential nutrient which plays many key roles in the way our bodies function, we do not need huge quantities of it. In reality, we need small amounts of protein. Only one calorie out of every ten we take in needs to come from protein. Hmmm?, you never hear the protein supplement companies include that in their ads.

That statement/argument aside....and back to your initial inquiry, where to get protein?

I have a good friend, and nutritionist, that offer this advice (paraphrased) to another vegan friend. Eat a variety of unrefined grains, legumes, seeds, nuts, and vegetables throughout the day, so that if one food is low in a particular essential amino acid, another food will make up this deficit.

I trust this might help you on your journey.
  • SweetLikeBacon
    Options
    I can't imagine not eating meat but you can try nuts and beans for protein. I prefer bacon.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I'm veggie but eat lots of vegan food. Search in groups for 'Happy Herbivores' where you'll find lots of vegans.

For protein try:
    soya beans / edamame
    almond / soy milk
    seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, etc)
    nuts
    tofu
    seitan
    soya 'meat' products
    nutritional yeast (from health food stores)
    lentils/pulses
    quinoa
    brown rice
    peas

Lots of these will push up your carb intake too but eat a wide variety of things and you can get all the nutrients you need on a vegan diet.
  • Copaiba
    Copaiba Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I eat vegan 5 out of 7 days (sometimes I have sushi or fried fish if I'm craving) and sometimes even go below 15% protein. I aim for 45 grams a day. Its actually more than what T. Colin Cambell recommends in "The China Study," a book you should DEFINITELY read if you are taking meat and dairy out of your diet. Also look up "Nomeat Athlete" on the internet; he has some great articles on athletes and vegan protein.
    You will be fine. MFP is a great tool to learn what grains and veggies have the most protein, calcium and iron. Eat bok choy, broccoli, quinoa, brown rice, chickpeas, any bean really...
    Look at my diet diary if you want but remember I REALLY cheat when I cheat. When I was sick a couple weeks ago, I ate a whole bag of cheetos :-( But when I'm good, I'm really good.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Beans, peas, seeds and nuts are the main sources for vegan protein. Lots of variety, cheap and easy.
  • Huzke
    Huzke Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegan or vegetarian and I eat tofu daily. Tofu baked in a toaster oven with some natural crunchy peanut butter on it is pretty boss.
  • sharkweek
    sharkweek Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, and I get plenty of protein -- mostly from chickpeas, black beans, and the occasional seitan/tofu. There are some good vegan groups here on MFP too, if you have questions for other vegans along the way:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/46-team-vegan

Good luck! :)
  • Krazykeelo
    Options
    I've been a vegan for seven years and counting. There is such a misconception regarding protein with a vegan diet. I consume twice as much protein as a vegan than I did when I consumed meat. If you're an athlete or you're looking to put on some mass below are some of my favorite protein packed vegan foods. Good luck! Feel free to inbox me with any questions/concerns!

Tofu
    Tempeh
    Nuts
    Avacado
    Spinach / Kale
    Beans
    Quinoa
    Brown Rice
    yams
    Middle Eastern/Thai foods
  • sharkweek
    sharkweek Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegan or vegetarian and I eat tofu daily. Tofu baked in a toaster oven with some natural crunchy peanut butter on it is pretty boss.
    That sounds delicious!
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    if you are looking into shakes look into shakeology..Im pretty sure they have a vegan one.
  • phillipspage
    phillipspage Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    All the above suggestions are great. My husband was vegan for many, many years. Now we're both vegetarian so we have to get a little creative with our protein sources. We eat a lot of quinoa, green veggies (spinach, kale, peas), soy milk, soy protein powder, and beans. There are also a great range of "meat-like" products that are packed full of protein, but you have to be careful because sometimes they are also packed full of fat. If you combine a lot of these things into your meals and snacks you shouldn't have too much of a problem getting all of your protein in.

Also, make sure you're getting the right vitamins--protein isn't the only problem when becoming vegan! Do a little research and make sure you're getting the appropriate amount of iron, calcium and B vitamins.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I use raw hemp protein powder in my oatmeal and green smoothies; you can also get pea protein powder

Sprouts, beans, peas, seeds, nuts, coconut yogurt, almond milk,

You can also get veggie cheese (I do NOT recommend the cheese made from almonds, or other nuts..it was nasty)

Someone else recently recommend TVP is textured vegetable protein found in bulk bins.
  • nrwheatley23
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 2 1/2 years and have never lacked in the protein department. I'm in the process of trying to eliminate cheese from my diet and cut back on other dairy products. Quiona is an amazing source of protein as it has all the B vitiamins. It is the only non animal protein that packs all of those in. Quiona is a very diverese food and a lot of times soaks up the flavor of whatever you're cooking it with. There are vegan protein powders out there (check Whole Foods, Kroger, Trader Joe's, etc). Beans, lentils, nuts, etc are all great sources of protein. You should check out ohsheglows.com , it is one of my favorite blogs and has amazing vegan recipes!