Low Sodium recipes? Also, here's a donut recipe!

Options
My husband and I are eating healthier and we just found out he has Hypertension (high blood pressure). High sodium foods can make his BP skyrocket so we're trying to find something less salty. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, here are some homemade donut muffins. They still need some work, but they're pretty darn good! Actual directions are in the link that follows, these are the ingrediants I used.

Kroger - No Sugar Added, Natural Applesauce
Kroger - Whole Wheat Flour 1 Cup
Domino Sugar - Premium Pure Cane Granulated
Shur Fine - Baking Powder
Baking soda, 0.25 tsp
Generic - Iodized Sea Salt, 1/4 tsp
Spices - Cinnamon, ground, 0.13 tsp
Spices - Nutmeg, ground, 0.13 tsp
Simple Truth Organic - Plain Lowfat Yogurt Grade A, 0.25 Cup
Hershey - Unsweet Special Dark Coco Powder, 0.13 Tbsp
Egg Beaters Original - Egg Substitute, 4 tbls
Syrups - Maple, 2 tbsp
Mccormick's - Pure Vanilla Extract, 1 tsp

Modified version of this: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=2140590

Replies

• penguinattackstudios
    Options
    Oh! This makes 6 servings; I used a mini-muffin pan and two small muffins is a serving.

Nutrition/Serving:

127 Calories
    234 Sodium
    10 Sugar
    3 Fiber
    4 Protein
    7 Iron
  • penguinattackstudios
    Options
    No recipes? Well this is a bummer :/
  • cheerchicksie
    cheerchicksie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i don't know of low sodium recipes...but i'm definitely trying those donuts! :)
  • Jlbaker08
    Jlbaker08 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any low sodium recipes off the top of my head, but I would say anything that includes fresh produce, fresh spices and fresh meats. Avoid any recipes that call for processed or canned foods. Stay very far away from things with "cream of" canned soups or broths! Salad dressings, marinades and prepared seasonings seem to be high in sodium too.
  • bjm21866
    bjm21866 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi penguinattack ,
    I have hereditary hypertension and have found that cooking absolutely from scratch ingredients (I mean every meal) is the only way to go. Anything prepared is danger. I treat myself to a take out burrito once a week and am horrified by the sodium content considering I can make the same at home with a fifth of the sodium level. As far as recipes go, I use fresh spices for flavoring soups and entrees and never use any additional salt than is naturally found in produce. Exploring all the different , strong flavors of various vegetables will make sodium seem like a lame alternative to flavor which can be attained without salt. Some fresh flavor ingredients I use: Thai Basil, turnip, rosemary, celery root (high in sodium but balances by its BP lowering characteristics), garlic, scallions medium cooked, cilantro, fresh basil, fresh parsley, arrugala, kale, red cabbage. I have found that cooking vegetables so that they are still slightly raw lends a much stronger flavor to a dish and is far more satisfying than substituting strong flavor with salt. BTW.......lots of exercise, meditation, Hibiscus Tea and 4 celery stalks a day do wonders to lower BP. ......just my two cents..... good luck!!!!
  • penguinattackstudios
    Options
    Thanks for all the info.! I've done quite a bit of research on sodium and definitely fresh fresh fresh is the way to go. But I'm in a bit of a dry spot (eating same things over and over) I was hoping someone could post something to spruce the eating style up a bit.