How is your family with your weight loss efforts?

Options
Since the start of the new year, I have been watching what I am eating, trying new foods, etc. My daughter was giving me a hard time about how I would not eat the last of her pizza last week. I did not want it, as I knew if I had a bite, I would want more. Her response was "you are not fun anymore Mom." She gives me a hard time about weighing food, etc. I told her that once I get in my head about what size my portions should be, I would not need to do it anymore.

How is your family reacting to your efforts and if you have daughters, how do you not let it effect her?

Thanks, Karyn

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    How old is your daughter, Karyn? I think I'd just be honest with her: "Well, pizza really isn't the best food for me". I think I'd emphasize that eating nutritious foods helps keep us healthy, which allows us keep doing all the things that we love. Maybe do some special activities with her that remind her that you are indeed fun? And involve her in making meal prep in the kitchen. Healthy food doesn't have to be boring.

With spiraling obesity rates, we may be looking at the first generation of kids that has a shorter life expectancy than their parents. Cultivating healthy eating habits early and as a family gives your twins a leg up in bucking that trend.

Best wishes! Send me a friend request if you like!
  • Maureen689
    Options
    My husband questions everything I put in my mouth. He's trying to be supportive, but it sometimes makes me feel guilty if I'm treating myself to a little indulgence and he asks, "Can you eat that?"

My daughter is only 3, so she's very supportive ;-) That's funny you mention not eating the rest of her pizza- not finishing my daughter's plates has been an eye-opener, giving me an idea of how many extra calories I was consuming by eating her crust, last chicken nugget, etc.
  • sweetsarahv
    sweetsarahv Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My family is super supportive, but they also worry about me. I have started and quit this whole weight loss thing so many times, who could blame them!? If I am really into it, they get so excited! But then if they asked me if i worked out today and I say no, they get this solemn look on their faces. "Did she quit AGAIN!?" is what I'm sure they are thinking...
  • twinmom2001
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

My daughter is 11 so she is getting to that age, and I feel that I have "messed" with her mind. I have heard her say stuff in the past about "do these pants make me look fat?" (something I have said in the past :sad: ) She is not even 70 pounds. My kids are active and fit but unfortunately, I am not, and my husband is definately not. (he suffered a stroke in June 2011 and was only 43-luckily it wasn't that bad but it was due to his diabetes, lifestyle, etc) So because of that, I want to take care of myself so I am there for my kids.

I am trying my dangest to bring more fruit and veggies into the meals and always get one in their lunch and at dinner. They will eat them as snacks too. We are trying to get out of the processed food, as if it is in the house, my husband will eat it and I am trying to make things from scratch these days.

Thank you again for the support!

Karyn
  • bambi_woodward
    Options
    I have 5 yr old girl twins! Because I am constantly watching calories and weighing food, both my girls have noticed. For example, they ask me if certain foods are healthy or turn down food because they think it's not healthy for them. They've even started looking at calories on the back of packages.

They are very young to be starting this, but at 5 yrs old I was already obese, and maybe it's good that they are taking some notice. I don't talk negative about myself because I don't want them to start thinking that they are overweight or fat.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    My Baby Girl is only 3 so I guess she doesn't really notice. Just that Mama's makin more veggies for dinner!! My husband is very supportive. He knows that I have Heart Disease and Diabetes in my family and he understands that it's more than just looking sexy, but being healthy and living a long life!
  • KatherineStar
    KatherineStar Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have 5 yr old girl twins! Because I am constantly watching calories and weighing food, both my girls have noticed. For example, they ask me if certain foods are healthy or turn down food because they think it's not healthy for them. They've even started looking at calories on the back of packages.

They are very young to be starting this, but at 5 yrs old I was already obese, and maybe it's good that they are taking some notice. I don't talk negative about myself because I don't want them to start thinking that they are overweight or fat.
    God that's awful:( maybe don't do it in front of them? I have a 4 yr old and would be devastated if she was doing that.
  • mrs2nd2none
    mrs2nd2none Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old daughter and 1 year old twins (boy and girl). Most of my exercise is when I interact with them or when I run errands. I am slowly re-adding exercise to my daily routine at work. Especially on my lunch break and when I am just sitting at my desk. My food diet is better and I have seen weight loss since I have had them although it has been slow. I want to get back to being a healthier me. I want to be able to last with my children.
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

My daughter is 11 so she is getting to that age, and I feel that I have "messed" with her mind. I have heard her say stuff in the past about "do these pants make me look fat?" (something I have said in the past :sad: ) She is not even 70 pounds. Karyn

I wouldn't blame yourself entirely for this behavior. Kids learn that behavior from music, tv, movies, comedians and their peers. Even if there was never one weight-related comment made in your house she would still learn that old line from the outside world. Don't beat yourself up over it! :smile:
  • keg619
    keg619 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't get much support from my family. It's a struggle to get fruit in the house. I lost weight for the first time a few years ago and it was the same way. I started at 315.5 and have lost around 90 pounds. I thought that would help them realize how important their own health is, but they don't want to listen. My whole family (including aunts, cousins, etc) besides one sister has a weight problem. The only time they will say something is if I am treating myself to a delicious snack. They have a hard time understanding that food and I don't have a good relationship when it comes to stress/emotional eating!

I know that they want me to be healthy, but it is just so hard when there is no support at home, and they are eating some of the most unhealthy foods they can bring into the house. I have no health problems besides the extra weight, but they have BP problems and such. I just want them to see what they are doing to themselves...I guess I had thought when they saw my success and how healthy I had become that they would want the same for themselves.

I have about another 80 pounds to go, so there is still time!
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My family more or less supports me, but I usually get an eye roll from my older sister when I say no to something becuase Im trying to stay gluten free.
  • KatherineStar
    KatherineStar Posts: 56 Member
    Options

God that's awful:( maybe don't do it in front of them? I have a 4 yr old and would be devastated if she was doing that.

By the way that wasn't intended to offend! I would just be really upset personally if my little girl did that.
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It was hard at first. My husband was trying to sabotage me (though I don't think he was doing it deliberately).

Now he's super-supportive.
  • CaRaMelKiSSes514
    CaRaMelKiSSes514 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been going through the same thing. My co-workers are always telling me to stay on track and if im eating something that I am not supposes to they say what are you doing or things like that.Meanwhile at home the kids and my husband says you can eat the same things and workout and lose weight the same and we all know that is not true.I think that we need a little more encouragement instead of being hassled about what we are doing to better ourselves.
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I just want them to see what they are doing to themselves...I guess I had thought when they saw my success and how healthy I had become that they would want the same for themselves.

Perhaps you are not aware that you are undermining them. They are not so stupid as to not know that already. And they will not take advice from someone who is so obese. You haven't yet earned the right to give them advice. You are behaving like an ex-addict who is out to save everyone from themselves.

Save yourself from yourself. Don't depend on them for support and don't belittle them with your successes. We each walk our own paths. You can lead by example, but when you lead in arrogance, you lose - and they do too.
  • eris1981
    eris1981 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

I think that, if approached well, it could actually be a good thing to have five-year-olds conscious of what they choose to eat . . . It can be an excellent opportunity to create dialogue about healthy food choices. For example, if they perceive a healthy food as unhealthy, that can be a great topic for conversation. As long as they don't start talking about themselves negatively or severely restricting their food intake, I think it's great. If the girls get this embedded in their minds now, maybe they'll continue to eat their vegetables and such rather than becoming that 15-year-old girl in Britain who was hospitalized for health problems because the only foods she ate ever were chicken nuggets and French fries.

If more children chose apples over cookies and green beans over French fries, we may not have the obesity epidemic that exists in our country.
  • JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    My family is very supportive, especially my sons, 23 and 21. They are my biggest cheerleaders. :bigsmile:
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    My family are generally very supportive (especially my husband) but my mum can't get her head around the fact that I'm weight-lifting as a big part of my weight-loss plan.

Bambi, there's nothing wrong with teaching kids that some things are healthy and good for you and that you have to watch your portion sizes, but try to maintain positivity about yourself in front of your children. You're eating well to be healthy and that is a really positive thing. Even if you think you're fat, your children will think you're beautiful.

I really want to be a healthy role model to my children (when we have them). Neither of my parents were particularly active (in terms of exercising) when I was younger and I think inactivity was actually a much bigger issue in me being a bit of a chubby kid than what foods I ate (where portion sizes became my big issue in my teens).
  • Tarapritchett
    Tarapritchett Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My husband starts off super encouraging, but then brings home candy when I'm stressed. :blushing: I know he's trying to make me feel better, but I'm going to start asking for flowers instead.

I have a 3 year old daughter, and I read an article once that said to encourage your daughter to have a positive self image, YOU have to have a positive image of YOURSELF and project that to her. Here's a link to the article: http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/am-beautiful-raise-girls-self-esteem-172500477.html

Part of improving my image of myself is getting plenty of exercise and eating healthy and teaching my kids better habits. Rather than counting calories, we eat tons of veggies and fruit and lean meats. We play outside every day after work/school, or we jump around while Jillian Michaels shows us new, fun moves to do.

Having kids is hard work!
  • triciaj66
    triciaj66 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    At first my kids hated it.... Now My kids are eating better and like to work out for fun.... my 4 year old likes to show off his "gun show" LOL!!!! my kids sometime ask how many cals something has in it.... my boys remind me to do my workout and when I am done they hug me and tell me they are proud of me... my husband has been on and off with support....