Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Beginning weights question about reps

I just started doing a weight circuit at the gym. Im trying to do 3 sets of 12 reps each exercise. Sometimes I can do all 12 for all three sets and others I can do 12, then 10, 8 etc.

Is it best to do it that way or lower the weight back down so I can do 12 reps for all sets? Or just lower the weights on the last couple sets? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks :drinker:

Replies

• Your method is better. Higher weights are better, they just are :) Go heavy or go home ;)

I highly recommend checking out the New Rules of Lifting for Women. There are workouts to follow for like a year. It explains very clearly why heavy is the way to go, and why lower weights/higher reps is simply not the way to go.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Personally, I prefer higher weight, lower reps.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    I wish people would understand the premise that when people say they are beginners, the WRONG thing to do is tell them to lift super heavy like the person above me suggested ("Go heavy or go home").

I think what you're doing is great. If you can do 3 sets of 12 that's great. If, on some of the exercises, you can do 12 on the first set then 10 then 8 that's fine too. Just make sure you really only can get 10 or 8. If you're just wimping out you better be doing 12, missy!! lol

There is nothing wrong with low weight with higher reps.

It all depends on what you are you trying to accomplish.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    I wish people would understand the premise that when people say they are beginners, the WRONG thing to do is tell them to lift super heavy like the person above me suggested ("Go heavy or go home").

I think what you're doing is great. If you can do 3 sets of 12 that's great. If, on some of the exercises, you can do 12 on the first set then 10 then 8 that's fine too. Just make sure you really only can get 10 or 8. If you're just wimping out you better be doing 12, missy!! lol

I started on sets of 8-10. *shrug*
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    You are fine keeping with what you are doing, you could also drop the first set reps to 10 and see if you can get 3 sets of 10. I wouldnt drop weight to do more reps.
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    :smile: Thanks everyone, I was thinking along those lines that lowering the weight would be a step backwards and the best way to build up is to keep doing it until I can do all the reps in each set. Thanks for the help
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    I'd stick with the higher weight. Once you can complete 12 reps for each set, increase the weight, again.

Are you giving yourself enough rest between sets? You may want to give yourself longer rest between circuits to complete your sets.

Never sacrifice form to get those reps, either. Make sure you use proper form. It will work your muscles better, and help to prevent injury.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    If the goal is to lose weight, you want to focus on lower weight, and higher reps. I'm running a similar routine (using JEFIT app) with 3 sets of 12 reps. I stick with the weight I'm at until I can do all three reps with a full 12 sets, then bump the weight up five pounds. If you are having difficulty getting more than the last few reps, it might be a good idea to back off until you can do all three sets and then move up slightly to challenge yourself without risking injury. Hope this helps.
  • Never drop the weight*, drop the reps - but it must be "I cannot do another one, even if somebody offered me $1,000 to do so*"

The idea is to complete 3 sets of 12 reps, when you do this it is time to increase the weight.

* sometimes you do but not when starting out
    * sometimes it is best to not train to failure, but not when starting out

there are lots of sometimes, rather than absolutes
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Stick with that weight until you can complete all 3 sets of 12 reps, then add 5 pounds and repeat.
  • Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Drop the reps until you can do all the sets you need, then once you can complete your reps\sets increase the weight and start again.

e.g. 3x10 3x11 and 3x12

Increase weight 3x10 , 3x11, 3x12

you get the idea build up incrementally and you will progress.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Try a variety of loads (light, moderate, heavy) and rep ranges (low, medium, high) and figure out what you like. The one thing that remains constant is you should always be pushing to improve, either more reps at a weight, or more weight.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member

8-10 isn't what I would consider "going heavy."
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member

8-10 isn't what I would consider "going heavy."

"Heavy" is more about progressive overload then the rep range, per se (within reason, of course).
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    If the goal is to lose weight, you want to focus on lower weight, and higher reps.

incorrect
  • If the goal is to lose weight, you want to focus on lower weight, and higher reps.

incorrect

true incorrect , and funny how weight loss advice never says what the rep tempo should be.