Diet Soda vs. Crystal Light

Options

Replies

• angelaw543
    angelaw543 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Water, water, water. So what if it's boring. Treat yourself occasionally, but remember that every thing you eat or drink isn't supposed to be exciting. Some things you just do because they are the right thing to do.

I always tell my friends who say "but I don't like water", "who cares, you're a grown up now, stop whining and drink water"!!
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I use MiO instead, I keep it in my purse and can use it anywhere. It is so much better tasting than crystal light and it really helped me give up diet coke.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    I wonder if all the talk about diet soda being worse for you than regular, making you crave sweets & being full of chemicals and fake sugar means that drinks like Crystal Light considered the same?
    That's just it, it's talk. While diet soda may affect others differently, in general peer reviewed clinical studies haven't shown to have the side effects that many articles, opinions, blogs etc. claim for the general population.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ChristinaR720
    Options
    Rather than going for the processed stuff, why not make your own fruit-infused drinks? Try mixing chunks of real fruit, like strawberries, apples (add cinnamon to make it extra yummy), peaches, raspberries, or lemon, etc. into a pitcher of water and let it sit for a few hours, or overnight, if possible. That way, you can have your flavored drink, but it will be a lot healthier and you can control the ingredients!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    i think one of the main issues with soda is the use of all the chemicals and coloring that go into it, namely formaldehyde and phosphorus.
    Lol, there's no formaldehyde in diet soda.

IDEA Fitness member
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    watch Hungry for Change... that will answer your question about diet coke.
  • IronMikeFox
    Options
    I am 100% addicted to diet soda. Really need to kick the habit! LOL Every time I try, I fail!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I used to be a big soda drinker...usually around 3 per day, sometimes more. If I needed caffeine, I went for Mt Dew...but my go to was orange Fanta. For the most part, I drink water now and if I need some fizzy I drink carbonated water. Sometimes I add a little lemon or a slice of cucumber or something to break up the monotony. I do allow myself one soda per week...usually have it on a Friday with my lunch...well, it's actually sparkling water with fruit juice and sugar, but pretty much the same thing. I do the San Pelligrino orange...it's 140 calories and 32 g of sugar; it's real sugar rather than high fructose corn syrup so not as sweet as the other stuff I was drinking, but I actually find it more refreshing...I had a sip of Mt Dew a couple weeks ago and it was just too sweet for me now.
  • SassJess81
    SassJess81 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am a total Coke Zero addict. I am trying to cut back, as I do notice a difference, but it's really hard. The one thing that helps me drink less is I bought a SodaStream. You literally just carbonate tap water and it is so good. You can also add a squeeze of lime or whatever, and it resembles pop.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    i think one of the main issues with soda is the use of all the chemicals and coloring that go into it, namely formaldehyde and phosphorus.
    Lol, there's no formaldehyde in diet soda.

IDEA Fitness member

I think she's thinking of the digestion of aspartame producing formaldehyde there.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    if the fake sugars in diet soda are bad, so are the ones in crystal light. It only makes sense right? I cut out both as much as I can. I haven't had crystal light in forever. I do drink soda on occasion, but regular.
    If they were "bad" then it would make sense. They'd have to be bad to start out with.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Water, water, water. So what if it's boring. Treat yourself occasionally, but remember that every thing you eat or drink isn't supposed to be exciting. Some things you just do because they are the right thing to do.

I always tell my friends who say "but I don't like water", "who cares, you're a grown up now, stop whining and drink water"!!
    I'm a systematic eater, so lots of food I eat is pretty boring. Boiled eggs, rice, wheat bread, etc. with nothing on it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Having considered this in the past, I found no reason to believe diet sodas are harmful if drunk in moderation, with a wide margin for error.

So drink whichever you like and focus your energies on other areas of your Weight Loss Journey (tm) where your efforts will gain more benefit.
  • chelchelt
    chelchelt Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I drink either unsweetened tea or I drink the propel waters for something different.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    watch Hungry for Change... that will answer your question about diet coke.
    Nope it didn't.

IDEA Fitness member
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is okay, Crystal Light is okay. I tend to drink water and when I do, I chew gum which tends to flavor it for me.

11871__75716.jpg
  • chrisdell21
    chrisdell21 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I actually had a meeting with a nutritionist that said the diet soda thing is real. Artificual sweeteners are are exponentially higher in sweetness but we'll still add the same amount to everything. Since that's what happens our bodies will start to crave sweeter and sweeter things which will increase the amount of sweeteners we'll add to other items. And since sugars and carbs break down the exact same way this can lead to an increase in weight gain.

To be on the safe side I just gave up soda entirely unless I'm really needing a caffine boost (I don't drink coffee, can't stand the taste). Crystal light is still lower on the sweet scale and helps me get more water in a day so I prefer it over soda. I like the little packages you can just add to a water bottle and shake in. I usually use two for a 1 liter bottle and drink that faster than I would water on it's on.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I actually had a meeting with a nutritionist that said the diet soda thing is real. Artificual sweeteners are are exponentially higher in sweetness but we'll still add the same amount to everything. Since that's what happens our bodies will start to crave sweeter and sweeter things which will increase the amount of sweeteners we'll add to other items. And since sugars and carbs break down the exact same way this can lead to an increase in weight gain.

To be on the safe side I just gave up soda entirely unless I'm really needing a caffine boost (I don't drink coffee, can't stand the taste). Crystal light is still lower on the sweet scale and helps me get more water in a day so I prefer it over soda. I like the little packages you can just add to a water bottle and shake in. I usually use two for a 1 liter bottle and drink that faster than I would water on it's on.

Your first paragraph is an individual reaction and not the case for many. Plus, it has less relevance when someone is tracking their food intake. If it makes adherence to your calorie target harder, then it will have a negative impact on your weight. If it makes adherence easier, as it does for many people, then it will have a positive impact on your weight.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Rather than going for the processed stuff, why not make your own fruit-infused drinks? Try mixing chunks of real fruit, like strawberries, apples (add cinnamon to make it extra yummy), peaches, raspberries, or lemon, etc. into a pitcher of water and let it sit for a few hours, or overnight, if possible. That way, you can have your flavored drink, but it will be a lot healthier and you can control the ingredients!

I made some apple water and I wasn't crazy about it, but my youngest daughter loves it!
  • ChristinaR720
    Options

I made some apple water and I wasn't crazy about it, but my youngest daughter loves it!

Yes, you'll definitely want to experiment with different fruits (some people like cucumber-infused water, but the thought of it makes me cringe) to find the best one for you!

This website has a lot of great recipes: http://www.fruitinfusedwater.com/