low cal lunch ideas?

Options

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Pho is a vietnamese noodle soup. Its beef stock, rice noodles, and the 'tai' is sliced steak. Other varieties exist but that is the most commonly and widely eaten version in the US.
  • Danielletrentleo
    Options
    My low cal lunch has saved me! Everyday I would have big carby lunches, feel full and gross all day and put on weight regardless of how healthy I was during the rest of the day! I have lost 7kgs since kicking energy drinks (even diet ones! They clog up your liver) and having this lunch most days:

I have:
    A small tub of Natural yoghurt (about 100g) I have found that the Farmers Union Natural Yoghurt European Style is only about 75 calories, but all brands are good.
    A handful or so of blueberries
    A banana chopped up.

That comes to about 150 cals. Not only does it have protein from the banana and the blueberries are very good for you, but the yoghurt is full of probiotics that makes sure your digestion is running smoothly.

That way you can have a serve of meat and a great salad for dinner! Also you can snack during the day because you have plenty of spare calories.
    If you couldn't bear the thought of something sweet at lunch, Ryvita and tuna is a good one :)
  • kindyusaf
    Options
    Toasted tomato sandwich (Multigrain bread, tomato, fat free mayo)
    Toasted tuna sandwich (Multigrain bread, fat free mayo, tuna packed in water not oil)
    Chunky Salsa on original rice cakes
    Chicken mexican salad (lettuce, cucumbers, green peppers, chicken breast, topped with salsa and fat free sour cream)

I know some people are not big on fat free stuff, but we all have our opinions.

I always add things such as apples, nectarines, peaches, celery, berries, carrots, to my lunches as well.

I don't see the difference in fat free . a lot of the things I buy are usually fat free and taste the same .
  • punkin_p
    Options
    I don't understand - how can mayonnaise be fat free and still be mayonnaise? Mayonnaise is egg yolk and oil by definition... I can imagine substitutions for the egg, but the oil? When you substitute everything in the original recipe, at what point do you stop calling it mayonnaise?

I seriously am not able to understand this right now.
  • snivvy
    snivvy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Heinz Soup (UK) Pea and Ham is 222cals for the who;le 400g tin. Very filling. It's not great on the sodium and sugars, as of most processed soups. But it is great for convenience if you lead a busy lifestyle.

Home-made muesli, 1 cup of mix of oats and bran, add 1/2 chopped banana and a few sultanas or other dried fruit. Add almond milk

I usually have either of these, followed by an apple and a yoghurt.
  • PaulineKK
    Options
    I like using Healthy Life Multigrain English muffin 80 cals;
    either do one of the Gorton's grilled or butter and garlic fish filets 80 cals; (they can be nuked)

with sweet and hot mustard (10 cals per tsp) or
    salsa (10 cals per 2 Tbsp)

Optional Lettuce (pretty much a freebie)
    Slice of tomato (pretty much a freebie)
    Onion (pretty much a freebie)

Mix n' match.

Total you are looking at a lunch under 200 cals.

The fish can also be broken up and put on a salad...just watch your dressing carefully. I like Basalmic Vinegar 10 cals per tsp.
  • PaulineKK
    Options
    Pho

I LOVE pho, but I'm not sure it's low cal. :smile:

It may not be, but then you get so much of it. I will eat half and take half home for another meal. I looked into making it myself and the broth looks very work intensive. If I could/would break down and do it myself, I'd use the shiritaki noodles. I'm sure it is the noodles that rack up all the calories.
  • red8424
    red8424 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I you are looking for a low cal version of spicy hot wings try this: 3 oz sliced chicken from the deli (i like sara lee golden chicken breast) splashed with hot sauce (I use Tapatio picante). Serve with a side of sliced cucumberand and strawberries for dessert. >100 calories!
  • chamorita79
    chamorita79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    !I like blt's. I use turkey bacon instead of regular bacon. 1 tsp of honey mustard or if you prefer mayo a light mayo of some sort on 2 peices of orowheat 100 percent wheat bread with lettuce and tomato....yumm
  • kwseneca
    Options
    1.) 35 cal slice of toast w/ peanut butter, almonds, and banana on top- baby carrots, a cutie, and 50 cal string cheese

2.) Ham & laughing cow spreadable swiss on 80 cal healthy life english muffin w/ lettuce & tomato- baby carrots & light ranch

3.) 2 natural egg whites w/ a tbs of natural bacon bits & 1/4 cup fat free moz cheese- toast or eng muffin- or small portion of oatmeal

4.) Healthy life 80 cal english muffin w/ 3 tbs canned marinara sauce, 1/4 cup fat free moz cheese, canned pineapple, veggies, and bacon bits on top (bake or microwave) for a healthy quick pizza...Also avacado is good on it.

5.) 100 cal microwave popcorn, 50 cal string cheese, 1/2 peanbutter & banana sandwhich (great one for on the go)

6.) Oikos fruit at the bottom greek yogurt, baby carrots, pita chips or pretzels, and a cutie (also great for on the go)

There a bunch of my go-to lunches.
  • kumf
    kumf Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been eating this everyday for lunch for a week or so and am surprised how much more filling it is than my normal PB+J sandwich and apple.

Morningstar Farms - Spicy Black Bean Burger, 1 patty: 120 calories
    French's Dijon W/Chardonnay - Mustard, 1 tsp: 5 calories
    Apple - Gala - Medium: 80 calories
    Total: 205 calories
  • kindyusaf
    Options
    These all sound soo good! I needed some new ideas instead of salad for lunch
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I make a batch of soup every Sunday and eat it for lunch for the week. It's just easier @ work to have it already calculated and not scramble to find something daily.

It calls for chicken...so I normally will get out the appropriate amount in weight of chicken tenderloins and boil them.
    It also calls for boullion or broth...win win...I use the water from boiling the chicken!! ;)

YAY!! My soup is 183 cals a svg and FULL of veggies, protein and more!
  • liya368
    liya368 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Any morning star "veggie" burger and a serving or 2 of veggies.
    Truth be told this week I am eating half a spicy black bean burger and 2/3 cup mixed veggies for a grand total of 120 calories.
  • jenniferarnold619
    Options
    I make whole wheat pitas into pizza!
    Slice the pita in half to make a thin disk (it trims the calories). I start toasting that while I prep my toppings. I like to saute bell pepper and onion with minced garlic and I chop up roasted chicken deli meat. I then take the pita out of the oven, spread Laughing Cow Sundried Tomato and Basil cheese wedge on the pita, top with veggies and chicken and sprinkle lowfat mozzarella on top and bake until the cheese is melted. This comes up to about 250 calories and it pretty filling!

I will also make stuffed pitas by sauteing bell pepper, onion and deli sliced chicken sprinkled w/ a tablespooon of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix (the powder). I then cut the pita bread in half circles, start with lettuce, cucumbers, add the chicken veggie mix and then sprinkle about a tbs. of mozzarella cheese in each pita. This too falls in the 250/ 300 calorie range.
  • lhartmann1962
    Options
    That sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing.
  • Getyourshineon
    Options
    Frozen turkey meatballs... Love them... with melted cheese or parmesean! Yummy and easy!
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken and veggies on a pita (or hold the pita and just use lettuce as "bread" if you're trying to go REALLY low-cal)
    Tuna sandwich (light mayo in the tuna for lower cals, or no mayo at all!)
    Stir-fried veggies in teriyaki sauce
    Canned light soups (entire cans of soup for only about 200 cals! Yum!)
    Bean or lentil salads (great for packable to work and things like that, loads of recipes online)
    Curried chicken salads
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    2 slices light rye (80 calories); 2 ounces lean deli meat like peppered ham (60 calories); 1 ounce Cabot 1% milk (75% reduced fat) cheddar cheese (60 calories); mustard; all the veggies you like. I do red onions, banana peppers, that sort of thing. Very low cal and yummy!
    :bigsmile:

Where can I find that light rye??????-I haven't seen that in years-Oreweat used to make it???? But it disappeared here in So-Cal????

Weight Watchers makes a light rye, as does Beefsteak. Unfortunately, my grocery store stopped carrying the Beefsteak light rye, and Weight Watchers is way more expensive. Yummo :)
  • Dra57
    Dra57 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Soup soup and more soup!!