What do you think of the following program?

Options
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm

It makes sense to me. And will probably start tomorrow.

Replies

• mbreed75
    mbreed75 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Almost no one and certainly not a beginner or even intermediate should be working muscles only once per week. Look here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/848374-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners-2013-edition
  • mbreed75
    Options
    It's not once a week. its 3 weight days and 3 cardio days
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    The workout I got from a Drill Sergeant....not sure how well the copy paste will carry over ....

CONDITIONS: Given a standard gym with barbbells, dumbells, pull up rack and a place to run (Treadmill or outside).
    STANDARDS: Complete the workout below and write down your accomplishments in weights and time over a period greater than three months. Muscle failure is important. If you can complete all three sets of an exercise with all 15 reps in good form then the next week you need to move up in weight.
    RULES:
    30 Second Break between exercises.
    Each Superset exercise is preformed 3 times alternating. Example, 15 reps of Lateral Raises, 30 second break, then 15 reps of Bent Over Rows, 30 second break and repeat cycle 2 more times.
    Full range of motion. If you bend that far, you work that far.
    DAY ONE: SHOULDERS AND BACK
    CARDIO Run 3 Miles for Time
    ABS3 sets of inclined situps. 25 Reps.25 Reps each. If the first set of 25 reps are easy or moderate then you need a bigger incline or hold a weight.
    Superset1Clean and Press to Military Press15 Reps. Start in 'deadlift' position with barbell. Hands outside of your shoulder's width. Bring barbell over your head, then military press to your chest and back over you head 15 times. Pull upsYou can use an assisted machine if necessary. If it is unavailable and you are still struggling, stay there until you can complete 15 reps.
    Superset 2Lateral Raise15 reps. Place a dumbbell in each hand with your hands at your side. Keeping your arms straight and at your side, raise your weights above the height of your shoulders. Bent Over RowPlace a barbell in your hands with your hands shoulder width apart. Bend over with your back parallel to the ground and pull the weight up to your chest then straighten out your arms.
    Superset 3Cable Pull down machine15 reps. This is a machine where you pull down a bar while seated, simulating pullups. Keep you hands outside your shoulders for your grip. Dumbbell Military Press15 reps. Keep your hands outside your shoulders. Start with your dumbbells at shoulder height and bring them all the way up until your arms are straight.
    Superset 4Dumbbell Row15 reps. Row a dumbbell with your back parallel to the ground. You can use a bench for stability if you need to. Make sure you preform with both arms. Upright RowStanding up, feet together, grab a barbell with your hands 1-inch apart in the center. Pull with your arms until the bar is to your chin. Keep your elbows above your hands throughout this exercise.
    DAY TWO: BICEPS & TRICEPS
    CARDIO Run 3 Miles for Time
    ABS3 sets of inclined situps. 25 Reps.25 Reps each. If the first set of 25 reps are easy or moderate then you need a bigger incline or hold a weight.
    Superset1Dumbbell Curls15 Reps. Standing up straight, weights in front of your body, start with arms straight. Full range of motion. Triceps kickback15 Reps. One hand on a bench, one leg behind the other one. With the hand not on the bench, pick up one dumbbell and with your back parallel to the ground bring your elbow to the same height as your back and kick back the weight and slowly bring it back down.
    Superset 2Hammer Curl15 Reps. Just like dumbbell curls only with your hands turned in so that your palms are facing each other when curling. French Press15 Reps. One large dumbbell. Stand up with the dumbbell in your hands behind your head. Extend you arms until they are straight and then bring it back down so your hands are below your elbows.
    Superset 3Barbell Curl15 Reps. Pick up a barbell with your hands shoulder width apart and curl with a full range of motion. Do NOT bend your back. Triangle Pushups15 Reps. Pushups with your thumbs and forefingers touching. Ensure that your chest touches your hands when you go down.
    Superset 4Rope Curls15 Reps. On a cable machine. Use the rope to curl with weight, similar motion to hammer curls. Dips15 Reps. Ensure you have a full range of motion. Straighten out your arms on top and when you go down be sure that your shoulders are below your elbows.
    DAY THREE: CHEST
    CARDIO Run 5 Miles for Time
    Flat Bench15 Reps, 3 SetsFull Range of motion. Arms straight on top, Elbows slightly below your shoulders but not fully below.
    Incline Bench15 Reps, 3 SetsFull Range of motion. Arms straight on top, Elbows slightly below your shoulders but not fully below.
    Dumbbell Bench15 Reps, 3 SetsFull Range of motion. Arms straight on top, Elbows slightly below your shoulders but not fully below.
    Pushups25 Reps, 3 SetsFull Range of motion.
    DAY FOUR: LEG DAY
    CARDIO SprintsFor 2.5 miles you will sprint every 1/4 mile and walk/jog the following 1/4.
    Superset1Squats15 Reps. Full range of motion. Hips below your knees. Deadlifts15 Reps.
    Superset 2Machined Squats15 Reps. Full range of motion. Hips below your knees. Leg Press15 Reps. Full range of motion. Knees to your chest.
    Superset 3Walking Lunges15 steps out and 15 steps back. Single Leg, leg press15 Reps on each leg.
    Superset 4Jump Squats25 Reps. Start in a deep squat with palms on the ground then jump up as high as you can. No resting position is authorized. Jump Lunges25 Reps. Start in deep lunge and jump and land into a deep lunge with opposite leg.

Note: This workout is for a week. You should stretch this workout out with rest days between most of the workouts.
  • FullOfWin
    Options

each muscle is worked once per week
  • mbreed75
    Options
    ok, not so much the weight lifting routine. But the overall diet, and timing of the workouts.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Looks good to me. As long as your chosen routine helps you meet your fitness goals. Just remember you need to change things up every 2-3 months.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options

each muscle is worked once per week

Not really. There's a lot of overlap. You're only doing legs once a week, but if you're also running (especially with intervals or hills) or cycling, etc., they're getting worked out more than once a week. And chest / back exercises use shoulders and arms as well, and vice-versa, so I think it's a pretty solid program.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    Incorrect
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    just my opinion, but I think in RE to the weight routine you'd be better served with Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5 or some other lifting heavy derivative. To me it looks like a lot of time in the gym and a lot of isolation type stuff when you could get as much or more benefit from full body compound routines lifting heavy in a shorter amount of time. Just my $.02 though....I used to do something similar to this back in the day and now I lift heavy and full body.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Looks good to me. As long as your chosen routine helps you meet your fitness goals. Just remember you need to change things up every 2-3 months.

You really do not need to do that, unless what you are doing isn't working. Athletes don't 'change things up'. They stick to training that works. You DO need to change when what you are doing isn't working anymore to gain you increased ability in your chosen thing. But you don't need to change for the sake of changing.

OP: Full body lifting 3x a week, or an upper/lower split. Don't work muscles in isolation until you've done that for at least 6 months. Diet is up to you, if you like it, go ahead
  • Fit_Vixen1
    Options
    I'm going to be starting Phase 2 tomorrow of Jamie Eason's Live Fit Program. I see & feel the difference in my body after one month. I can't wait to see how much more change my body will have at the end of the program.

My husband and son are doing the Kris Gethin 12 week program.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

You really do not need to do that, unless what you are doing isn't working. Athletes don't 'change things up'. They stick to training that works. You DO need to change when what you are doing isn't working anymore to gain you increased ability in your chosen thing. But you don't need to change for the sake of changing.

OP: Full body lifting 3x a week, or an upper/lower split. Don't work muscles in isolation until you've done that for at least 6 months. Diet is up to you, if you like it, go ahead

This^^^ most definitely! Highlight 3x, week full body, no isolation...just forget that you even know what an ab exercise or arm curl even is for awhile.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    What are you goals right now? To lose fat and preserve (maybe gain a little) muscle? Are you new to lifting or have you been doing it for a while? Are you looking more for strength gains or increases in muscle size?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    What are you goals right now? To lose fat and preserve (maybe gain a little) muscle? Are you new to lifting or have you been doing it for a while? Are you looking more for strength gains or increases in muscle size?

This. If you are new to lifting, this program is not appropriate
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ok, not so much the weight lifting routine. But the overall diet, and timing of the workouts.

Now I'm really confused. How do we judge the timing of a workout without judging what it consists of?