Hi! Trying to get thin (again :-s)

Options
avedon
avedon Posts: 14 Member
Hi everyone,
I'm so happy to have found myfitnesspal - it makes it impossible to ignore how lazy i am or how bad the food I eat is.
I'm a 23 year old female who is only 5 ft 2 in but weighs 82kg (180lb) as of yesterday :-(.

My highest weight ever was 90kg (198lb) about 2 years ago. It really was a viscious of cycle of feeling so depressed and then eating to try and make myself feel better.

2 years ago over the summer break I got determined and managed to get down to 70kg (154lb) through a combination of a (too)low calorie diet, excessive walking (between 8-12 kms per day) and working out to my turbo jam DVD's. While this wasn't sustainable (My exercising took up most of my day!) I slimmed down, toned up and felt so much more confident and happy with myself.

At the end of the summer I slipped of the wagon though retained my lower weight for most of the year (though lost the nice tone I had gained).

Anyway, I'm sure you can all relate to what happened next - the weight started creeping back on and here I am starting from the beginning again only this time I'm going all the way - and this isn't a summer fling. This is life. I'm no longer a teenager - the habits I form now will form me for the rest of my life.

I'm tired of avoiding parties and meet ups with old school friends, I'm tired of avoiding clothes shopping, I'm tired of looking in the mirror but most of all I'm tired of feeling so sad.

So hi to everyone, I love reading everything on here - it inspires me and encourages me - and hopefully will do all the way to 120lbs.

x

Replies

• lkharris
    lkharris Posts: 24
    Options
    Ah, hang in there. I have been an "all or nothing" for most of my life. I am now 48, and getting back into the exercise and decent eating habit after losing it due to work and travel for 4 years or so! But I've always been all or nothing - either working out 6 days a week or not at all! This time I'm really trying to balance it better. If I miss a work out it's not a crime and I just make myself do it the next day, or maybe even the one after that. No matter, as long as I keep doing it.

And you are right - it is about lifestyle, not a summer fling!

You're 23 and you're also right about your habits now setting you up for later life. Get used to it now and tone up that young body! It won't take you long at all - at 48 I don't think even if I did work out all day everyday that I could really drop 40 pounds like you did 2 years ago! Takes a LOT more effort now! Best of luck to you!
  • bksteve26
    bksteve26 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hey! Glad to see that you are getting involved with MFP! Its amazing. I am 5'3 and 147.2 as of today. I started at 155 on here and 165 on my own. Trust me MFP will help. If I could give you any advice it would be to provide yourself with a lifestyle that is easily sustainable, and learn the shortcuts. You will not be able to work out every single day. You might be able to for a full week or two or whatever but there will be a day that comes that will not leave you time for a workout. DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED! Pick back up the next day and keep it up! Or add a 10 minute ab session or something if you can. Also, realize that you cannot cook gourmet meals 3 times a day. That's one of the greatest things about MFP. People post quick easy recipes all the time. Find quick meals that work for you, that still fill you up and taste great. I have loads of them if you need ideas. Oh and don't worry if you are hungry at first...it gets easier and easier as you go. Your stomach shrinks and you dont need as much food to fill it. You will do awesome on here, I'm sure of it! Stick with it. If you bite it, write it. And best of all...LOG YOUR WEIGHT LOSS! It feels good to get it on paper. Maybe get a ticker. Tickers are fun to watch progress on. Look forward to seeing you around!
  • sleitner
    sleitner Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Welcome. You will find your story is not an uncommon one and hear many more success stories to make you feel like "I CAN DO IT!' I wish I had the motivation at 23 (not 10+ years down the road). Best of Luck!!!
  • fitladyfawkes
    fitladyfawkes Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hey girl!!

I can totally relate to what you have been and are going through! I am 21, been through the ups and downs of losing and gaining. I recently decided to change my lifestyle and lose this for good.

Not only can you do this, but you WILL.

:D Heid
  • avedon
    avedon Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind words of support :-)
    I'm on day 5 and doing well (though falling asleep very early!)
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that so many times. ;) I like all the responses to your topic. I am also back "on the wagon."
    A good friend recently told me an astonishing thing: If my pants start to get tight, go on a quick diet and lose that 3 or so pounds so I fit into them again!! What a fabulous revalation! I love it. I will do it after I lose my required # of pounds.
    What do you think, could it work for you, too?
    Have fun, bjberry