BMI, BMR, TDEE, Body Fat % -- Confused!!

Okay so, I'm 20 years old, 5'5" and around 165lbs. I'm trying to lose FAT and gain MUSCLE. I don't want to be on a diet plan that has me LOSING MUSCLE. That kind of scares me a little. I have no idea how to go about all these calculations and keep up with them to make sure I'm doing everything right. It's just really intimidating and sounds super complicated. Since I'm determined to do this right and stick with it, I was hoping someone might be able to break it down for me...? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    If you want to lose fat and gain muscle the best thing would be to do a bulk and cut cycle.

Start with eating at or slightly above maintain calories. Lift HEAVY weights and ensure you are consuming more than enough protein. Do this for a few weeks than lay off the heavy lifting as much and do some cardio while dropping your calories down for a bit. Keep eating more than enough protein.

You will put on some weight while you eat more and lift heavy weights but than when you drop it down you will lose it. DO the cycles each for a few weeks and you will see progress.

While eating at a deficit you will lose some muscle ... it just depends on how much of a deficit you have. If you eat really low cals, do just cardio and don't eat enough protein you will lose a decent amount of muscle in the process. If you eat at a slight deficit and lift heavy weights while trying to lose weight you will preserve your muscle mass. The only real way to gain muscle is to eat at or above your maintain cals and lift heavy weights.