Confused about HRM

jennmcpherson
jennmcpherson Posts: 263 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
So I've been thinking about getting a HRM because I do a lot of activities that don't give me a calorie count and I think I'm working harder than MFP suggests for calories. Up until now I've just been entering what MFP says for calories and taking the extra as a bonus but now I want to know.

I have some questions.

I know that they monitor your heart rate (duh) but do they also give you a calorie reading or do you have to figure that part out yourself? If so, how?

I also know that the chest ones give a more accurate reading but are the wrist ones at least a good estimation?

I don't want to spend a ton of money (I'm cheap, haha), are their some relatively decent priced ones that give good read outs?

Thanks so much for your help!

Replies

• drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    I'm interested in this too... :flowerforyou: - haven't quite figured out how to use a tool as this.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Most HRMs give you calories burned. You can find a decent basic HRM in the $30-$50 range at Walmart in their workout section or online at Amazon (no chest strap). The HRM w/the chest strap is by far the most accurate, but the wrist ones are better than machines or just guessing :smile:
  • I use my HRM every time I work out. It guides me as to what I am doing, when I need to rest. Yes! It does track calories. It tracks your fitness progress as well.
    I know that when I am doing cardio I should be in zones 2 and 3 (which is higher than 65%).
    I highly recommend utilizing a HRM, it has completely changed the way I work out.
    I owned a Walmart type HRM but it was not accurate-I would spend the money, it will last you and it is well worth the investment. (I am cheap too)
  • jennmcpherson
    jennmcpherson Posts: 263 Member
    Yeah, I definitely want one. Do you input your weight and height somewhere? Suggestions on brands that are better than others?
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    My father in law uses one. He got it at Walmart and said it cost about $35. I can't remeber the brand, I think it was sport something. I'm going to look for one. His was a chest strap and a watch. The watch tells you distance, calories burned, heart rate, time, it's waterproof and you can use it at night. It looked like kind of a big watch but I liked it so I'm going to see if they have a smaller version for ladies!
  • gpies
    gpies Posts: 56 Member
    I purchased my Polar F6 about a year or so ago and love love it. It just gives me more information about my calorie burn, zones, etc. It allows you to enter height, weight, etc. and tells you what areas you should be in, etc. (I don't burn as many cals as I thought I did and before purchasing the HRM I wouldn't have known that. ) It comes with the chest strap and is absolutely comfortable and does not interfere with working out. I love mine and would recommend it. I did get it on sale for about 80.00 I believe it was so it may be a bit more pricey than you had planned, but you can get them on sale and I feel as though it is worth the purchase if you're invested in your fitness plan. Just my thoughts. Good luck with your decision.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Most HRMs give you calories burned. You can find a decent basic HRM in the $30-$50 range at Walmart in their workout section or online at Amazon (no chest strap). The HRM w/the chest strap is by far the most accurate, but the wrist ones are better than machines or just guessing :smile:

Actually, they aren't. Cheap HRMs and wrist-only HRMs are no better than either MFP tables or just picking out a number at random.
  • irismoon
    irismoon Posts: 83
    I've been meaning to pick one up too because of target heart rates. I got to the Curves women fitness center and they make you stop ever 7 minutes to check your heart rate. You have to count your heart beats for 10 seconds to see if you meet your target heart rate. Walmart's HRMs seem pretty accurate when compared to what my 10 second counts equaled to in beats per minute. So I've been thinking of picking one up for that reason.

However, I'm confused on how it would calculate your calories burned by your heart rate. Until that is explained to me I'm sticking with guessing with MFP.
This discussion has been closed.