yummy shrimp

Options
fitinyoga14
fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
I'm a big fan of coconut shrimp, you know the breaded and fried kind with the coconut flakes and sugary sweet sauce to dip them in. :love: My love all started when i ordered them for the first time at a restaurant on vacation. However, joining mfp has cut me off from these sweet, crispy, islandy little things (hello, they're fried and oily to no end). Its a bittersweet feeling knowing that i will no longer allow myself to enjoy this dish but i'm sure my body thanks me for it.

ANYWAYS, I discovered this on accident today when I was planning on making a salad with some shrimp on top for dinner.
before starting to cook the shrimp on the stovetop, i saw a can of coconut milk in my pantry. i thought aw what the heck and i put about a 1/4 cup of coconut milk in the pan before throwing in the raw shrimp. i sauteed the shrimp in the coconut milk untill they were thoughouly cooked. it smelled AMAZING. (like a vacation in my kitchen).

the shrimp were so surprising flavorful, i ended up eating them separatly from my salad to taste the full flavor without the dressing, lettuce, and what not.

i recommend this to anyone looking for a little taste of summer. a little coconut milk and shrimp is all you need. its a great alternative for the fried stuff, amd its so easy!

Replies

• bksteve26
    bksteve26 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious!! I will have to try that. :flowerforyou:

I actually make coconut curry shrimp with just a can of coconut milk, a bag of pre-cooked shrimp (about 40-60 medium shrimp), and a TON of curry powder (just my personal preference :wink:) and it's really good and easy to make! Either crockpot it or make it on the stove top.

Shrimp = :love:
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    coconut milk can be purchased in a low fat, too. & i didn't notice any flavor difference.
    (haven't seen fat free unfortunately, but any little help is good for calories)
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    i'll keep that in mind. i've never seen reduced fat coconut milk but i'm sure going to look for that. thanks!
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Wow. That sounds so good. I will have to try it this weekend! Thanks.