YOUR grocery list ..(of Healthy eating).....

Options

Replies

• DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Bacon
    Chicken (thighs and breasts)
    Tomatoes
    Avocados
    Greek yogurt
    Bananas
    Apples (pink lady apples, to be exact... yum!)
    Spinach
    Feta cheese
    Lean ground beef
    Baby carrots
    Roasted garlic hummus... I'll be making my own soon!
    Bell Peppers
    Raw almonds, walnuts, pistachios
    Milk
    Eggs
    Lean ground beef
    Natural chunky peanut butter
    Almond milk
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Plain 0% greek yogurt
    fruit
    agave sweetened granola
    chicken breasts
    lean ground beef
    pork chops (boneless)
    organic eggs
    avocado
    zucchini
    broccoli
    brussell sprout (or whatever veggie is on sale)
    quinoa
    onions
    garlic
    popcorn kernels
    carrots
    protein powder (vanilla.. I add it to my greek yogurt)
    sandwich thins or english muffins
    stevia
    vitamins
    grapeseed and/or olive oil
  • Allishole
    Allishole Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Eggs, egg whites, turkey (ground and jenni-o boneless), chicken (boneless strips and breasts), Nolan Ryan steak and steak strips, tuna in water in the pouch, sliced turkey from the deli, almonds, walnuts, dried cranberries, cauliflower, raw spinach, green onions, broccoli, zuccini, celery, brussel sprouts, carrots, tomatos, jalapenos, fresh parsley, olive oil, red wine vinegar, apples, raspberries, grapefruit, greek yogurt, steel cut oats, cream of rice, MIO, BCAA powder, and protein powder. And Triscuits bc my boyfriend loves them, but I don't eat them!
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    My most recent list, last week I needed to stock up:

Meats:

2 5lb Whole Chickens (cook 5 lb chicken weekly, separate into portions to freeze = cooked chicken ready to go all week)
    1 3lb Hunk of Pork (I got a "picnic" chunk I think, bone-in is cheaper than pre-cuts)
    3 lbs Ground beef
    1 lb Turkey Bacon
    1 lb Lean Ham lunchmeat
    1 pack of Turkey Hot Dogs

Other:

Brown rice
    Whole Wheat Pastas
    Sauce + ingredients for Pasta Meals
    2% milk
    Cereal
    BBQ Sauce
    Hot Sauce
    Oil + Marg
    Sour cream/Cream cheese
    Low fat shredded and sliced cheeses
    Guac + Ranch mixed Salad Dressing
    Low-fat soups for quick meals or to add to other meals
    Stock for soups and stews
    Dry Beans
    Whole wheat Bread
    Tortillas
    Hot dog rolls
    Eggs
    Seasonings for cooking (salt, pepper, dry rubs, marinades, taco seasoning, etc)

Veg + Fruit:

Apples
    Garlic
    Potatoes
    Bananas
    Spinach
    Kale
    Peppers
    Oranges
    Carrots
    Green Beans
    Peas
    Tomatoes
    Onions
    Corn
    Celery

Drinks:

Flavored Water (only a 6-pack every now and then, too expensive to do it all the time)
    Tea Bags

Treats:

Cookie Dough (portioned so I can make 2 or 3 cookies for a treat)
    Individual Ice Cream Cones

I've learned to get what I like in general, but to moderate it better and to choose healthier options whenever they're available. Instead of Chips to snack on, I get Apples and Oranges or Carrots and Garlic Hummus, etc. I used to get low fat/low-cal everything, but the flavor really does suck on a lot of things like that. I get normal dairy items and dressings and just use them more wisely now. :)
  • llpaq
    llpaq Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    -Almond milk
    -Earth Balance buttery spread
    -Soy or almond milk yogurt, whatever is on sale
    -Ezekiel Cinnamon Raisin Sprouted bread (in the frozen vegan section)
    -Ezekiel Sprouted 7 Grain bread (frozen vegan section)
    -Any and all fresh veggies and fruits, we shop the sales
    -Red pototoes, sweet potatoes, squash
    -Frozen veggies for steaming
    -Frozen fruit for snacking or smoothies
    -Whole wheat pasta
    -Popcorn popped in vegan butter
    -Brown Rice
    -Raw almonds
    -Raw peanuts
    -Quick Oats
    -Nut butters (peanut, almond, hazelnut)
    -Vegan Boca burgers
    -Vegan Hamburger style mix (use for meatballs, ground beef for sauces or burgers)
    -Vegan Breakfast sausage mix to make patties
    -Vegan bacon
    -Tofu, pan fried is the best texture
    -Pickles and Olives
    -Whole Flax and Chia Seeds (put on yogurt, smoothies, anything really)
    -Unsweetened Granola from sprouts, whatever is on sale
    -Dark Chocolate

I always wondered about whole flax seed and what to do with it so thank you! Also the bread I've heard a lot of people talk about it ....now I know where to find it :happy: thank you!
  • MegWilbe
    MegWilbe Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Not sure where in the world you reside but I shop at Sprouts. Staples for our house are: Bell Peppers, Carrots, Celery, Leafy greens (NOT Iceberg lettuce) Potatoes, Non-Dairy Milk, Organic Unbleached Flour, Honey, Nuts, Bananas, and frozen fruit mixes...These few staples can be the fountain to tons of different meals!~
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Our staples are:

Lots of fresh produce:
    Lettuce, Cilantro, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Bok Choy, Asparagus, Sweet Potatoes, Squash, Zuchini, Bell Peppers, Avocados and Jalapenos. Apples, Berries & Bananas

Canned/Boxed:
    Rice, Rice crackers, Nuts, Tuna, Black Beans, Olives, Tomatoes, Tomato Paste, Salsa, Green Beans, Chicken Stock, Coconut Milk, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Vinegars, and Alternative Flours (coconut, rice and tapioca)

Proteins:
    Eggs, We have an abundance of Game (Moose & Caribou) and Fish we catch (Halibut, Rock fish, Sea Bass, and Salmon) in the freezer, so the only meat I buy regularly is Chicken & Pork

The only Dairy we get is Cheese, Blue Cheese Dressing and Butter (but those are for the rest of the family).

Treats are Dark Chocolate and Cocount Ice Cream. Once in awhile, I get Gluten free Brownies, Hummus, and Tortilla Chips.
  • llpaq
    Options
    lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, bananas, oranges, apples, grapefruit (sometimes), squash (different varieties), and other fruit and/or veggies that are in season and look good, lately I have been using ground turkey and boneless, skinless chicken breast a lot too.

Spaghetti Squash and eggplant.

I bought an eggplant for the first time ever last week and didn't know what to do with it :indifferent: I had to toss it. I'm going to try spaghetti squash for sure though- I love other squashes- just never tried that one YET :wink:
  • llpaq
    Options
    Our staples are:

Lots of fresh produce:
    Lettuce, Cilantro, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Bok Choy, Asparagus, Sweet Potatoes, Squash, Zuchini, Bell Peppers, Avocados and Jalapenos. Apples, Berries & Bananas

Canned/Boxed:
    Rice, Rice crackers, Nuts, Tuna, Black Beans, Olives, Tomatoes, Tomato Paste, Salsa, Green Beans, Chicken Stock, Coconut Milk, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Vinegars, and Alternative Flours (coconut, rice and tapioca)

Proteins:
    Eggs, We have an abundance of Game (Moose & Caribou) and Fish we catch (Halibut, Rock fish, Sea Bass, and Salmon) in the freezer, so the only meat I buy regularly is Chicken & Pork

The only Dairy we get is Cheese, Blue Cheese Dressing and Butter (but those are for the rest of the family).

Treats are Dark Chocolate and Cocount Ice Cream. Once in awhile, I get Gluten free Brownies, Hummus, and Tortilla Chips.

Oh how I would love your freezer and fresh fish! I swear I would just need a garden and that would be "the life" for me :love:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Well this won't help you for tomorrow..

But I order all my fruits and veggies from Bountifulbaskets.org
    Pick up is Saturday, then I go to the grocery store to get anything that didn't come in the basket.

It will broaden your horizons, as you get all the tradidtional stuff like celery, lettuce, potatoes, etc.. and then you get weird stuff like bok choy (love!!) pummelos..etc..

What you get varies each week and you can't pick and choose. They have lots of add ons too. Thier granola and bread is amazing! I love thier asian and mexican basket add ons too. I'm getting 8 pounds of strawberries (those clamshell ones) for 12 bucks I think i paid. Plus a juicer pack that was 8 bucks.. comes with kale, cucumbers, carrots and a bunch of other stuff. Iove it.. best discovery ever!

Then if you didn't get broccli you can go get it. I plan the meats I buy around the veggies I get and do a lot of research on google, since I never heard of some of the stuff I get. LOL

Oh yes.. and fish.. I ate a ton until I moved here.. I need to get back to fish.. I'm having a hard time eating it here, since I'm used to super fresh fish (like it was swimming that morning) and everything here is flash frozen. Not sure how to overcome that.. but I'm trying.

omg that sounds amazing~ I'm going to have to try that - it's something that sounds like me since I try to buy at least one "new" thing every month or so!!! And omg you had super fresh fish??? I would be in Heaven, I can only do that when I go camping up north of me and it's delishhhh! :love: I love all seafoods/fish! yummmmmmmmmmm thanks again I'm going to look into bountifulbaskets!

Ordering is nationwide starting at noon on mondays until i think Tuesday afternoon. Rule of thumb.. order early on Monday,, they have limited quantites and it does sell out.. pick up times are strict, but it'sa co-op and you can go organic if you want. I also get my coconut oil from them. It's amazing. I hope they have it where you live. It's not everywhere which sucks.

They don't have it where I live :( but I guess you can't grow much in Minnesota right now! lol! Awww I'm bummed I would've loved to try that. Oh well back to the boring grocery stores ;)

There are others in existenace similar to this one.. try a search for farm co-ops or maybe veggie co-ops in your area.. i'm sure they are all good.. jsut have to find one near you that has what you are looking for.
  • veggieluver2
    veggieluver2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies from Sprouts

cabbage
    carrots
    sweet potatoes
    onion
    garlic
    bell peppers
    apples
    celery
    bulk nuts
    bulk oatmeal
    bulk lentils
    bulk quinoa
    container of mixed greens

Walmart

tuna and salmon pouches
    Fage nonfat plain yogurt
    eggs
    cheese sticks
    low sodium soups
    frozen veggies
    extra lean ground turkey
    Harvestland thin sliced chicken breast
    bananas
    water
  • srenea9
    srenea9 Posts: 142
    Options
    Well I only go shopping every 3 or 4 weeks so I buy a bunch of stuff But I usually go for:

-fat free milk
    -Chicken (whole & breasts)
    -ground beef 90/10
    -100 cal english muffins
    -bananas
    -lettuce
    -eggs
    -plain greek yogurt
    -oats
    -lean cuisine (on busy days when I dont have time to make myself lunch or dinner)
    -stevia
    -dark choc chips
    -peanut butter
    -bell peppers
    -black beans
    -tilapia
    -salmon
    -brown rice
    -sweet potatoes
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Cottage cheese
    Apples and strawberries
    Lettuce/tomatoes/veggies for salads
    Flatout flatbread wraps
    Peanut butter
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash..
    poke holes in it and bake until sodtr.. about 45 minutnes..

scoop insides out (pick out seeed first!)

Add sauteed onions and garlic, grape tomatoes,bell peppers, broccli, favorite cheese (i like feta), olives and a little oil or homemade italian dressing.

Eggplant - Don't thow it away!!!!

dip in beer batter and fry in an oil less fryer. (beer, flour whatever spices you like to achecive desired flavor)

Or cut into strips bread and bake/fry. (eggplant fries!)

Cut in half bake until soft, (brush with a little oil and sprinkle with salt) - sauteed onions garlic peppers, tomatoes, parsley and bay leaves adn any other veggies you think will pair well.. Scoop insdies out of eggplant and mix into sauteed stuff.. Place everything inside the eggplant. Lemon squeeze if you like it.

Cut into cubes and sauteed with all the above veggies and chicken breast.

Add to stir fry

Eggplant chips.. slice thin and bake until crispy on a sprayed cookie sheet.. add whatever chips flavor you like.
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options

Pick up is Saturday, then I go to the grocery store to get anything that didn't come in the basket.

It will broaden your horizons, as you get all the tradidtional stuff like celery, lettuce, potatoes, etc.. and then you get weird stuff like bok choy (love!!) pummelos..etc..

What you get varies each week and you can't pick and choose. They have lots of add ons too. Thier granola and bread is amazing! I love thier asian and mexican basket add ons too. I'm getting 8 pounds of strawberries (those clamshell ones) for 12 bucks I think i paid. Plus a juicer pack that was 8 bucks.. comes with kale, cucumbers, carrots and a bunch of other stuff. Iove it.. best discovery ever!

Then if you didn't get broccli you can go get it. I plan the meats I buy around the veggies I get and do a lot of research on google, since I never heard of some of the stuff I get. LOL

Oh yes.. and fish.. I ate a ton until I moved here.. I need to get back to fish.. I'm having a hard time eating it here, since I'm used to super fresh fish (like it was swimming that morning) and everything here is flash frozen. Not sure how to overcome that.. but I'm trying.

omg that sounds amazing~ I'm going to have to try that - it's something that sounds like me since I try to buy at least one "new" thing every month or so!!! And omg you had super fresh fish??? I would be in Heaven, I can only do that when I go camping up north of me and it's delishhhh! :love: I love all seafoods/fish! yummmmmmmmmmm thanks again I'm going to look into bountifulbaskets!

Ordering is nationwide starting at noon on mondays until i think Tuesday afternoon. Rule of thumb.. order early on Monday,, they have limited quantites and it does sell out.. pick up times are strict, but it'sa co-op and you can go organic if you want. I also get my coconut oil from them. It's amazing. I hope they have it where you live. It's not everywhere which sucks.

They don't have it where I live :( but I guess you can't grow much in Minnesota right now! lol! Awww I'm bummed I would've loved to try that. Oh well back to the boring grocery stores ;)

They don't have it where I live either. Boo! Maybe soon. I book marked so I could keep checking.
  • llpaq
    Options

I personally have not tried this but I have heard a lot of people try it and love it and I believe it's pretty nationwide.
    http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

Oh wow! Thank you I'm on the site now finding "finds" ! :smile:
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Honeycrisp apples
    Potatoes
    Asparagus
    Red bell peppers
    Baby carrots
    Green beans
    Broccoli slaw
    Hummus
    Boar's Head deli turkey
    Deli sliced cheese
    Flat Out wraps
    Pasta
    Sauce
    Canned tomatoes, various
    Mini Boboli pizza crusts
    Flavored seltzer
    Beer/Wine
    Spreadable butter
    Cream cheese
    Laughing Cow wedges
    Plain greek yogurt
    Old fashioned oats
    Mini pretzels
    Quaker Honey Graham Oh!s cereal
    Frozen broccoli
    Frozen brown rice
    Boneless/skinless chicken breasts
    Lean ground turkey
    Fully cooked chicken sausages
  • llpaq
    Options
    I have never been so excited to go grocery shopping- I love all the extra healthy items I could put in my basket that I never would've thought of otherwise :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My regulars include:

Bell peppers
    Broccoli
    Celery
    Baby Carrots
    Apples
    Bananas
    Pears
    Nut Butter
    Whole Grain Cereal
    Oatmeal
    Cheese
    Yogurt
    Cottage Cheese
    Pasta Sauce
    Pasta
    Sweet Potatoes
    Avocados
    Milk
    Bread
    Wraps
    X. Lean Ground Beef
    Ground Chicken Breast
    Turkey Thighs (boneless and skinless)

Then I fill in the spaces with specifics that either need restocking, or for a particular recipe I'm trying.
  • feebz36
    feebz36 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    With the aubergine, if you slice it quite thinly, lengthways and stick it on to a dry grill pan it cooks beautifully and has delicious charred lines on it. Good in a salad. Alternatively if you cut it in half and brush the flat side with a little oil then bake it for half an hour (200c) or until soft, scoop out the inside and use it as a base for a curry, or baba ganoush (a yummy dip for carrot sticks at lunch)

hope that helps!