Low Carb Idea for Italian Restaurant

Options
It's tradition for us to go to this wonderful, Italian place down the street on our anniversary.

Unfortunately, due to insulin resistance, I now have to eat low-ish carb. (I say low-ish because 100-125 per day really isn't so bad.)

What can I do to save on carbs? I was thinking about ordering chicken alfredo with broccoli instead of fettucini.

Any other ideas?

Note: I know it's okay to treat myself once in a while, so some people might say to just go ahead and eat lasagna or whatever, but if I eat too many carbs, I'm *starving* all day the next day no matter how much food I eat. That's the killer part of insulin resistance. I'd love to treat myself, but I don't want insulin flooding my body for the next day because it makes me feel so sick and hungry if I do that. I also have to keep it to 25-30 carbs per meal, so I can't eat all 100 at dinner. ;)

Replies

• SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    They must have other options other than pasta at an Italian Restaurant. Stick with lots of veggies and a protein. I'm sure there some kind of chicken dish, like chicken parm for instance, that you can get without the pasta. Just substitute it with vegetables.
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Antipasto!
  • jalrashdi
    Options
    red sauce is lower carb than white sauce. you can ask for chicken parm, or do chicken and veggies in a light olive oil and of course salad-usually if you ask they will do it for you.
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've been to Carabba's (chain restaurant - my daughter works there) twice since starting my low carb/Primal lifestyle.

I basically look to see what they can do to make their dishes glulten free (gets rid of the refined carbs). Carabba's has a nice page on their website about how to de-gluten the menu items that can be (it's hard to get gluten free pasta at an Italian restaurant). Not sure how many places do that but I figure it is a good way to start to make a meal more low carb.

I ended up getting the Grilled Pork Chop Marsala (could have also had chicken or sirlon) with no grill baste with green beans as my side. I also had a house salad and their chicken soup (minus the little pasta pieces they put in it). My order came with 2 chops and I only ended up eating one. The other became part of a meal the next day.

The hardest part was not eating any bread until they brought my soup and salad out, it smelled so good.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,642 Member
    Options
    Tagliatta di Manza. That's thinly sliced grilled steak on rocket salad with some Parmesan shavings.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Also Carpaccio with a side of grilled or roast veg. I do warn that my orders all involve very rare meat.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Chicken piccata
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone. :) They do have steak, so I might order that too. I'd just feel silly getting steak at an Italian restaurant.

What about chicken pesto? I could probably get that without the noodles. If red sauce is lower in carbs, though, I'll stick with chicken parmesan. That was a good idea.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Steak Fiorentina is a very clasic Italian dish, actually. It's ton of meat though.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Scaloppini, they may even do it without the breading for you
    Antipasto
    Frittata
  • acpgee
    Options
    And ossabucca (=braised veal shank). I guess any combination of Secondi and sides, actually. Most Italians do have more than pizza and pasta.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    In Italy it's very easy to eat both low carb and gluten free. They normally have both starters and mains like that, and many restaurants have gluten free pasta. However, since pasta and pizza have become what we expect from Italian restaurants, it may be trickier outside of Italy. But if it's a good Italian restaurants, their antipasta as well as their sides should have good options for you - Hard to say without reading their menu, really.

As for gluten free and refined carbs - no, sorry, I fear there is as much refined carbs in the potato starch, polished rice flour and corn often used as wheat substitute as there is in white wheat. It isn't really healthier than for instance whole wheat unless you have gluten intolerance. It may be healthier than polished wheat, but that depends on the glutenfree mixture.

Ejoy your meal, and those wonderful Italian cheeses, vegetables and meats! (In Italy I can go for days only eating their grilled vegetables and either cheese or some ham at the side. And it is so good!)
  • lornaloo3
    lornaloo3 Posts: 102
    Options
    Maybe update your anniversary tradition to reflect the change in your lifestyle? Pick a restaurant with more options for you, vet the menu online, and have fun. Just because you always did something doesn't mean you have to keep doing it.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I ended up getting chicken parmesan with grilled vegetables instead of a side of spaghetti. It was delicious.