Diets Don't Work...This Does

Options
Please take 10 minutes to read this article. I think this is spot on for what needs to be done to lose the weight and keep it off.

Taken from the following article:
http://www.psychology.org.au/Content.aspx?ID=3840.

PSYCHOLOGICAL TREATMENT PLAN FOR WEIGHT MANAGEMENT USING A NON-DIETING APPROACH

1. Education about why dieting doesn't work (outlining the physiological and psychological consequences of dieting).
2. Encouraging clients to let go of dieting and food rules
3. Encouraging flexible thinking rather than 'all or nothing' patterns
4. Teaching mindful eating skills
5. Reducing the focus on body weight as the outcome of interest
6. Identifying health and wellness values as the primary outcome
7. Improving body image
8. Building self compassion

Replies

• peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I've revised the above recommendations to make a new set of "rules" for myself.

My weight loss plan:

1. Educate myself about why dieting doesn't work and understand the physiological and psychological consequences of “dieting”.
    2. Let go of my dieting and food rules.
    3. Be flexible in my thinking rather than taking an 'all or nothing' approach.
    4. Become a mindful eater.
    5. Don’t be so focused on reducing my body weight.
    6. Focus instead on health and wellness as most important.
    7. To feel good about how I look now, not sometime in the future when I finally am no longer obese.
    8. Have compassion for myself.
    9. To help others through support and encouragement in their weight loss efforts.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    deserves a bump, though this still probably isn't a busy enough time.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    dieting worked for me
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    dieting worked for me

cookie_zps85ee0d08.gif
  • RevNimue
    RevNimue Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've taken the same approach when I started this year. I found when I took the Diet approach all or nothing that personally I would fail and fall off the horse numerous times and finally just give up and go for another approach on the diet bandwagon.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    This is absolute sage wisdom. It wasn't until I applied every one of those rules that I really started losing weight and feeling better. Cheers!
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    To see my approach listed to neatly is awesome!

I tell anyone and everyone who will listen that dieting doesnt and wont work and that its about changing your approach to eating that will...

Going to put this post on my wall for my friend to see!!!!!
  • amntsu
    amntsu Posts: 30
    Options
    Awesome plan for a lifetime of healthy living!
  • Coramae09
    Coramae09 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Exactly! Thank you for posting!!!
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    bumping this...great article, probably one of the best ive read in a long time!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    The one thing that has helped me most as a binge eater isn't on there.

Know your triggers, then avoid them.

Maybe there aren't as many of us as I thought there were, though.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I am a numbers and science guy.

Attitude can change how you feel. It cannot change reality.

I'd advise against ignoring food rules and diet rules. No matter how you feel, 3500 calories is still 1 pound of fat and eating above TDEE is still weight gain.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Totally attitude..!! So many of my friends have gone by the restrictive approach only to crash and burn.

Mindful eating & eat clean food. No additives. Healthy is most important becuase you will feel better and can be more active.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE CORRECT. DIETING IS FRAUD. THE SCIENCE SHOWS DIETING DOES NOT WORK.

OVER 98 % OF PEOPLE REGHAIN IN 6 TO 10 YEARS.

THE REASON? B I O L O G Y/

EAT LESS MOVE MORE IS A FAILURE AND NOT BASED ON SCIENCE.

Holy dog snot, you're a troll aren't you?!?!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

My weight loss plan:

1. Educate myself about why dieting doesn't work and understand the physiological and psychological consequences of “dieting”.
    7. To feel good about how I look now, not sometime in the future when I finally am no longer obese.
    9. To help others through support and encouragement in their weight loss efforts.
    10. Learn your triggers and avoid them.

:wink: We're here, trust me!

Also thanks Peterdt for the list, great to see it all in one place in a list! Looking forward to reading the article as time permits!
    This is worthy of printing out and hanging on the fridge, mirror, work or anyplace else that's handy.
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    very true I don't do DIET anymore ,this is a lifestyle change only when you drop the word diet do you really start to see your life changing
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

OVER 98 % OF PEOPLE REGHAIN IN 6 TO 10 YEARS.

Yeah, but I bet they get more enjoyment out of that 6 to 10 years that they were a normal weight than they would have if they'd just stopped fighting it and spent those years obese. Or died.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

My weight loss plan:

10. Learn your triggers and avoid them.

:wink: We're here, trust me!

Also thanks Peterdt for the list, great to see it all in one place in a list! Looking forward to reading the article as time permits!
    This is worthy of printing out and hanging on the fridge, mirror, work or anyplace else that's handy.

I'm starting to wonder if there is room for me in the biology side of the psychology of nutrition (convoluted sentence, I know!) just because so few seem to understand that there are purely chemical triggers to binging that aren't related to emotion and that can be controlled with avoidance.
  • MiTime2016
    MiTime2016 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Yes, there are as many as you thought, probably more.
    It's just that this article isn't really referring to those of us that are already there. It's more of a from the beginning guide on treating obesity. The article points out that so much emphasis on weight and food rules leads us into behaviors like bingeing.

Good article ... thank you.
  • chamorita79
    chamorita79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have always known that diets dont work however it took me years and years of failed diets to come to the realization that what I needed to change was my perspective about life. I started a lifestyle change at the beginning of this month. I stocked my fridge with fruits, vegetables, lean proteins and other healthy foods and stored away the junk food(out of sight out of mind). I pay attention to portion sizes. I measure out all my food which helps with keeping track on mfp and I incorporate exercise into my day whether it be playing with my child, going to the gym or doing some housework. I try my best to be more active. I drink plenty of water. I buy and prepare most of my meals however on occasion I eat at a restaurant and avoid fast food and try and pick the healthiest items on the menu. Now and then I indulge in something i am craving however I try to eat a single serving of that item and of course calculate it into my daily calories. With all these changes I don't feel limited or deprived like I used to in the past on my diets.