CE or NROLFW

I have just started CE and I love it. I don't have much to lose and have read from lots of people that strength traing is what I need. Does CE count or should I be doing NROLFW?

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Anyone?
  • Knoxvilla5
    Knoxvilla5 Posts: 74 Member
    I don't know what CE is but NROLFW is hot *kitten*. Heavy lifting, it's where it's at.
  • jaz050465
    I don't know what CE is but NROLFW is hot *kitten*. Heavy lifting, it's where it's at.

Sorry- it's Chalean Extreme.
  • mddsimmons
    mddsimmons Posts: 2 Member
    I'm currently in stage 5 of NROLFW and its a great starter program. I've gained lots of strength and leaned out a lot. I am not doing it to lose weight, though I've lost inches. I'm trying two increase strength and lean out - both of which I've accomplished. Hope this helps.
  • jaz050465
    Thanks. How much weight will I need.
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Just got home from the gym where I did my third workout A of stage 2, NROLFW and I can say without a doubt that it *works*. Granted, I have no idea what CE is or does but I've been doing NROLFW for about 3 months now and have lost 18kgs, am now dead lifting 55kgs and my cardiac fitness is better than it's been since I was a little kid. Definitely recommend it... although if you're going to do it I recommend a gym. A lot of the exercises use body weight and leverage but you will need a full set of dumbells (by the end of stage one I was on 17.5kg dumbells) and various machines like the lat pull-down. It's worth the gym fee, I promise!
  • jaz050465
    That's what I was worried about. I know from the HUGE amou t of money I've wasted on gym memberships over the years that its just not what I want. A dog dependent on regular medication means I have to leave for work at the last minute, come home for lunch and rush straight home from work. I know I just won't go out again after so I want to be able to do something at home.
  • thatjulesgirl
    If you're willing to spend the money you could buy a decent amount of weights in a squat rack - it's a long term investment (or perhaps even hire them?) if you have the space to store them. To be honest, I actually thought I'd join the gym and go about four times and then quit but the rush and fast results I've gotten from NROLFW has made me keep going... I guess it just comes down to motivation and your lifestyle. If you could spend the same amount of money as a gym membership on some second-hand or hired equipment you could do it from home :)
  • jaz050465
    What sort of weight level would I need to go up to?
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Just to throw another idea in there - have you considered bodyweight exercises. the convenience of your own home with a minimal outlay could give you the same benefits you are looking for so long as you keep up the intensity of each bodypart exercise.

It's not just a load of easy push-ups and weightless squats - calisthenics is a long forgotten art that can bring outstanding strength gains and help to keep bodyfat down - as well as a calorie deficit obviously.

I recommed two books; one or other would be fine:

You are your own gym, and Convict Conditioning - an interesting historical side to this book.
  • thatjulesgirl
    If you're going to get a squat rack set (which would be more expensive) pretty much anything it comes with will be fine - you want it up to at least 50kgs / 100lbs but a squat rack will usually have much higher capacities if it comes with lots of weight plates).

If you're going to get dumbbells instead (which you can deadlift with if you need to) - you want to get adjustable dumbbells with weight plates. Essentially, you want to go as high in weight as you can afford, but I wouldn't bother with less than 25kgs / 50lbs. Most will go higher but the higher the weight, the higher the price. Usually you can get some good second hand ones on eBay or in the local paper.

For NROLFW by the end of stage one you could be lifting anywhere between 10kg and 25kg dumbells - it will depend on how quickly you progress. If you start with an adjustable set that goes up to 25, you can usually add more later or upgrade your set if you need to.

I will say - I know it might seem like a big commitment but it really is worth it. I've never felt stronger and that seems to be the reaction pretty much EVERYONE who does NROLFW gives!
  • jaz050465
    Thanks so much orh of you for your advice. Ill take a look at the books.
  • mddsimmons
    mddsimmons Posts: 2 Member
    Just a thought - I'm doing NROLFW with a set of adjustable dumb bells I bought off Amazon. Most of the barbell exercises can be adapted using dumb bells. They go from 4-45 lbs each, so if all the weight is on them, I'm deadlifting 90 lbs. Great for a beginner. I started DLing about 60 lbs and went up from there. You don't have to have a gym membership. I do it in my basement.