Spaghetti squash!

Options
So I just used spaghetti sqaush for the first time!

I made some yummy shrimp stir-fry and put it over spaghetti squash instead of rice or noodles. VERY good. Probably better than rice actually, because without a lot of sauce, I usually just find rice dry.

So what are some other recipe ideas for spaghetti squash? It was super easy (I just microwaved it) and I'd like to use it more often.

Replies

• eliblish
    eliblish Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    i like to use it in the most obvious way....spaghetti. :smile:
  • tinap1
    tinap1 Posts: 27
    Options
    sounds great! what is the recipe?
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mariposadedios
    Options
    i love spaghetti squash - will be making some in a few days, in fact.

We like to make it garlic-y, with chicken breast and broccoli - you can eat them as sides or all mixed together!

Your stir-fry idea sounds really good, i will have to try that!! :)
  • empiremom
    empiremom Posts: 52
    Options
    it is good raw too. in fact when you microwave it...the nutrients are depleted. try it like pasta raw...it is yummy.
  • LosingWithMJ
    Options
    I use it in place of pasta for just about any dish. I love it!!
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I like it with spaghetti sauce and cottage cheese.
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    garlic, olive oil, parmesan, and a little pine nuts! Yumm!
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    What is spaghetti squash?! I here about it all the time!
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    What is spaghetti squash?! I here about it all the time!
    bump. Me too
  • jmarie9
    jmarie9 Posts: 108
    Options
    spaghetti squash is only the most amazing thing ever! great substitute for pasta!

Most grocery stores have them. I baked it upside down with a little EVOO, salt and pepper on the cut side. Slide those suckers in the oven at about 400 degrees for 45 mins to an hour. When they're done, shred the meat (inside pulp) with a fork and waalaaa! One squash makes a TON of "pasta" and can serve more then 2 people i think. then you can top it with anything really! make a slaw out of it, alfredo, marinara, plain. its delish!

google some images, it still amazes me how it comes apart in strands!
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    1 lb Lean ground beef or turkey
    can of kidney beans
    can of corn
    can of tomatoes
    1/2 onion, chopped
    few cloves of garlic, chopped

Brown meat, then add onion and garlic and simmer a few mins.
    Add corn, tomatoes, and kidney beans.
    Mix all together on low heat then add to baked and pulled squash and mix together.
    This is also great over mixed salad greens. I'll make this on a Sunday and eat it for lunch the next week. Heat up one cup of the mix and put on top of salad instead of using dressing for a fast, yummy, low calorie lunch.
  • steffi1686
    steffi1686 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I like squash so I will have to try this type sometime. Sounds fun!
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash is only the most amazing thing ever! great substitute for pasta!

Most grocery stores have them. I baked it upside down with a little EVOO, salt and pepper on the cut side. Slide those suckers in the oven at about 400 degrees for 45 mins to an hour. When they're done, shred the meat (inside pulp) with a fork and waalaaa! One squash makes a TON of "pasta" and can serve more then 2 people i think. then you can top it with anything really! make a slaw out of it, alfredo, marinara, plain. its delish!

google some images, it still amazes me how it comes apart in strands!

Thanks girl! Ill have to try this for sure! i love pasta but its always too high in cals. and carbs.
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    making this recipe tonight with fresh tomatoe sauce and ground turkey breast for the meatballs...

Ingredients:
    1 large spaghetti squash (about 4 pounds), halved lengthwise and seeded 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil Salt and freshly ground pepper 1 pound uncooked chicken or turkey sausage, casings removed 3/4 cup plain bread crumbs ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese 8 basil leaves, torn Waste not
    Toss extra basil into a food processor with olive oil, salt and nuts for an easy pesto sauce, and freeze for later.
    Directions:Place the squash, cut side up, on a damp paper towel in a microwavable dish. Microwave on high until tender, about 15 minutes. Using a fork, scrape the strands of squash into a microwavable bowl and toss with the butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, combine the sausage with the bread crumbs and form into 1-inch meatballs. In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook, stirring, until browned, about 6 minutes. Cover and cook over low heat until cooked through, about 3 minutes more.

Reheat the shredded squash in the microwave and top with the meatballs, cheese and basil.

From rachel Ray

Here is the link
    http://www.rachaelraymag.com/Recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-index/dinner-recipes/Spaghetti-Squash-and-Meatballs