Insanity Question

Options
2»

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

You aren't understanding how this site isn't set up.
    Most equations have you figure your BMR, then multiply it by an activity factor that includes daily life, like your job, and exercise. That gives you your TDEE. Then you create a deficit from that and eat those calories. In this scenario it makes sense not to eat back your exercise calories, they are factored in.

MFP does it differently. It figures your BMR then multiplies by an activity factor that includes daily life only, NO exercise. It creates a deficit from that. So if you eat that number, you will lose weight. If you exercise on top, you are creating a larger deficit. For a number of reasons people prefer to keep a moderate deficit. MFP recommends you eat your exercise calories back to maintain the modest deficit. You are still in a deficit if you net the number MFP gives you.
    (Yes I am aware there are issues with estimation of calories I don't necessarily suggest eating all back but you should eat a portion particularly of you are highly active).
    It's basically two ways to the same end. I've calculated my calories both ways and usually end up in pretty much the same place. It's just how this site is designed. To say it is wrong is incorrect. Both ways account for exercise, just in different ways.

Ditto about the HRM. Not necessary.

ETA - too slow Joylia beat me to it.

your right, i used my understanding of the english language and common sense to evaluate the phrase 'you must eat back your exercise calories' when i should have been using the MFP kaleidoscope.

I guess it makes sense within the confines of MFP. But in the greater world of nutrition, its kind of a head scratcher
  • jrhodo
    jrhodo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This site is all about accountability. If your exercise is figured into your daily calorie requirement, it is way too easy to skip a workout or two. By having to record it everyday, you can see what you are really doing, just like how many calories you eat. It motivates me!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Of course you don't *need* a HRM to lose weight...just like you don't *need* MFP to lose weight..but people are certainly here and using it. I did a round of Insanity without a HRM and believe it or not, I ACTUALLY got some results BUT I did get one for my second round and I have to say that it does help give me a little extra push here and there. If you're slacking, you can't mentally explain yourself out of it (I don't know about you guys but my internal monologues are SUPER awesome at selling me shi/t that's not actually real).
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I guess it makes sense within the confines of MFP. But in the greater world of nutrition, its kind of a head scratcher

You are right there. Which is why there is so much confusion and debate about the issue on the forums. You'll often see people who claim their doctor/nutritionist/trainer tells them it makes no sense - it doesn't if you are following the other way. I certainly don't tell people on weight watchers, people at the gym, or those following a nutritionist that they must eat back exercise calories.
    But, using MFP, it does. I am strictly speaking in terms of MFP. But then again, if you look at the other formula, you still eat back you exercise calories, they are just already calculated.

And we are on MFP forums.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    And we are on MFP forums.

ok u win lol