Does anyone have a delicious cabbage roll recipe..NO MEAT!

Options
imagymrat
imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
Please! I can't find any recipes that don't involve meat in the filling, my daughter is vegetarian, and wants me to make cabbage rolls for her, she also doesn't eat tofu or anything soy-based....im stumped, if anyone can help me out, i'd much appreciate it. I can't even omit the meat in the recipes, because then there's only rice and onions left...and that just doesn't sound right!!

Replies

• McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I've been on the lookout for the same thing. I'm also a vegetarian and have been really wanting cabbage rolls recently.....hope someone has an awesome recipe!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    http://www.recipezaar.com/Vegetarian-Cabbage-Rolls-260572 - this uses lentils instead of meat... looks pretty good!
  • imagymrat
    Options
    :laugh: Here's one that a friend sent to me in my inbox...don't know why she didn't post it! ...I kay try it, but for some reason it doesn't sound too appetizing :frown:

This Recipe Serves 6.

Ingredients:

•15 large green cabbage leaves.
    •¼ Cup white vinegar.
    •200g of Spanish-style rice mix.
    •425g stewed tomatoes with juice.
    •2 Tablespoons vegetable oil.
    •1 large onion, diced.
    •1 medium red or yellow bell pepper, diced.
    •70g vegetarian ham or pepperoni, diced.
    •300g tomato soup.
    •½ Cup water.

Method:

1.Place cabbage in pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, add vinegar, cover, and simmer until slightly softened, about 5-7 minutes. Drain and set aside.

2.Meanwhile, prepare Spanish rice according to package directions, using the stewed tomatoes. Set aside.

3.Heat oil in frying pan over medium-high heat; add onion, pepper, and ham; and sauté for 5 minutes. Add to Spanish rice.

4.Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease baking dish.

5.Lay out a cabbage leaf, place a large scoop of the mixture inside, roll up leaf, and place in dish, seam-side down. Repeat with remaining cabbage and mixture.

6.Combine tomato soup and water, pour over cabbage rolls, cover the dish with aluminum foil, and bake until cabbage is tender, about 1½ hours.
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You know you can always substitute Morning Star Farms crumbles in any meat recipe. I also have my mother's cabbage roll recipe. She's Finnish and I absolutely loved them, but the recipe involved double cream. I guess you could substitute the fat free half and half, but I've never tasted it.
  • sonjavon
    Options
    Are the vegetarian ham and pepperoni not soy or tofu based? I have never looked... just assumed that they were...
  • imagymrat
    Options
    Are the vegetarian ham and pepperoni not soy or tofu based? I have never looked... just assumed that they were...

I have no idea, but my daughter read the recipe and said she wouldn't eat it, no "fake" meat either...so I'm back to step one..no meat flavoured products..nothing...she's driving me crazy:sad:
  • sonjavon
    Options
    did you check out the link I posted above? It looked pretty good using lentils instead of meat.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I haven't had Mom's cabbage rolls in years. I may try a meatless version myself one of these days.

How about this one (it seems a little more interesting than some of the other meatless cabbage rolls):

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

•30 cabbage leaves (or chard, or Romaine)
    •2 cups of rice (preferably long grain)
    •1 large onion, finely chopped
    •3 ripe medium tomatoes, finely chopped
    •1 rounded tablespoon of finely chopped fresh mint
    •2/3 cup of finely chopped zucchini or Italian squash
    •1/2 cup of finely chopped fresh parsley, finely chopped
    •2/3 cup of olive oil
    •1/2 teaspoon of pepper
    •2 tablepoons of sea salt
    •1 teaspoon of cumin
    •2 tablespoons of olive oil
    •1 cup of water (approximately)
    •juice of 1 lemon (about 4 tablespoons)
    •1 teaspoonsof flour

Preparation:

Make the stuffing: Combine onion, rice, tomatoes, dill, parsley, salt, pepper, cumin, and olive oil in a bowl.

Prepare cabbage leaves: Remove the core of the cabbage, and stick a large fork into the center. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and immerse the cabbage, leaving the fork in. When the outer leaves turn bright green, remove using the fork and remove softened leaves. Return to pot and repeat until all cabbage leaves have been removed.

If using other leaves: Blanch leaves in hot water until they soften and turn darker green. Remove thick stems if necessary. To use very large chard leaves, cut in half and fill each half.
    Prepare rolls: If making large cabbage rolls, use the whole leaf (or half of very large leaves). If making small rolls, tear leaves into 4 parts (for smaller leaves, tear into fewer pieces).

For large rolls, place a heaping tablespoon of filling 1 inch from the thick end of the cabbage leaf. Fold the bottom over the filling, fold the sides in, and roll up.

For small rolls, place 1 teaspoon of filling at one side of the leaf part, fold the leaf up over the filling, fold in sides, and roll up.

Note: Don't roll too tightly. The rice will need some room to expand during cooking.
    Line the bottom of a large pot with any torn or unused leaves (and trimmed thick stems) and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.

Place rolls closely together, seam side down in the pot in 2-3 layers, as needed. Cover with a plate that fits over the rolls, turned upside down. Bring to a full boil over medium heat (it will boil with its own liquid). Add 1 cup of water (or enough to cover the rolls) and when it resumes full boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook at a slow boil for 20 minutes, long enough for the rice to cook. Test to make sure rice is fully cooked. Remove the plate.

In a small bowl, stir the flour into the lemon juice until dissolved. Add several tablespoons of liquid from the pot and stir. Pour into the pot and shake the pot gently to distribute. Let sit 10 to 20 minutes before serving.

Serve warm or at room temperature.
  • imagymrat
    Options
    I haven't had Mom's cabbage rolls in years. I may try a meatless version myself one of these days.

How about this one (it seems a little more interesting than some of the other meatless cabbage rolls):

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

•30 cabbage leaves (or chard, or Romaine)
    •2 cups of rice (preferably long grain)
    •1 large onion, finely chopped
    •3 ripe medium tomatoes, finely chopped
    •1 rounded tablespoon of finely chopped fresh mint
    •2/3 cup of finely chopped zucchini or Italian squash
    •1/2 cup of finely chopped fresh parsley, finely chopped
    •2/3 cup of olive oil
    •1/2 teaspoon of pepper
    •2 tablepoons of sea salt
    •1 teaspoon of cumin
    •2 tablespoons of olive oil
    •1 cup of water (approximately)
    •juice of 1 lemon (about 4 tablespoons)
    •1 teaspoonsof flour

Preparation:

Make the stuffing: Combine onion, rice, tomatoes, dill, parsley, salt, pepper, cumin, and olive oil in a bowl.

Prepare cabbage leaves: Remove the core of the cabbage, and stick a large fork into the center. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and immerse the cabbage, leaving the fork in. When the outer leaves turn bright green, remove using the fork and remove softened leaves. Return to pot and repeat until all cabbage leaves have been removed.

If using other leaves: Blanch leaves in hot water until they soften and turn darker green. Remove thick stems if necessary. To use very large chard leaves, cut in half and fill each half.
    Prepare rolls: If making large cabbage rolls, use the whole leaf (or half of very large leaves). If making small rolls, tear leaves into 4 parts (for smaller leaves, tear into fewer pieces).

For large rolls, place a heaping tablespoon of filling 1 inch from the thick end of the cabbage leaf. Fold the bottom over the filling, fold the sides in, and roll up.

For small rolls, place 1 teaspoon of filling at one side of the leaf part, fold the leaf up over the filling, fold in sides, and roll up.

Note: Don't roll too tightly. The rice will need some room to expand during cooking.
    Line the bottom of a large pot with any torn or unused leaves (and trimmed thick stems) and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.

Place rolls closely together, seam side down in the pot in 2-3 layers, as needed. Cover with a plate that fits over the rolls, turned upside down. Bring to a full boil over medium heat (it will boil with its own liquid). Add 1 cup of water (or enough to cover the rolls) and when it resumes full boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook at a slow boil for 20 minutes, long enough for the rice to cook. Test to make sure rice is fully cooked. Remove the plate.

In a small bowl, stir the flour into the lemon juice until dissolved. Add several tablespoons of liquid from the pot and stir. Pour into the pot and shake the pot gently to distribute. Let sit 10 to 20 minutes before serving.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

I'm definitely going to try these ones, they actually sound good...most of them sound so blah. thanks