Should you not eat past a certain time?

13»

Replies

• KWKY
    KWKY Posts: 110 Member
    Everyone's body has it's own schedule based off of how you live your life, if you are losing weight and doing what you are doing then it is fine.

Edit: If you eat before bed you might have a hard time sleeping, that is one thing that I know for sure. When I stopped eating later at night I started falling asleep much easier in comparison to when I ate within 2 hrs of bedtime.

I second this, I firstly tend to overeat after dinner (because kids are in bed) and I tend to eat crap. Secondly i find that if I do eat after dinner my sleep quality is rubbish, which when you have two under 6, just makes you feel crap the next day.
  • kenc1971
    kenc1971 Posts: 107 Member
    NEVER eat past midnight if you have this body type:

Gizmo_Mogwai.jpg
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Oh my God. All these people saying that it's a myth are comepletely giving the wrong advice. I mean, it's true that your digestion doesn't slow down, but after 7pm most people are done being active for the day. Which results in not burning off as many calories from that meal as if you would have if you've eaten earlier. So it's just recommended not to eat as much carbs at night because carbs is what most people need to BURN and work off to actually lose weight. Carbs puts weight on.

I am always amazed by the reasons people will bump an inactive thread. Especially when that reason is to prove that they have no understanding of how the human body works.

The food you eat does not need to be burned off immediately to prevent the calories from being stored as fat. It takes 6-8 hours for food to pass through the stomach and small intestine, and remains in the large intestine for an average of 40 hours. Eating after 7 pm does not cause weight gain, especially since your body is still working on digesting breakfast….from yesterday.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Oh my God. All these people saying that it's a myth are comepletely giving the wrong advice. I mean, it's true that your digestion doesn't slow down, but after 7pm most people are done being active for the day. Which results in not burning off as many calories from that meal as if you would have if you've eaten earlier. So it's just recommended not to eat as much carbs at night because carbs is what most people need to BURN and work off to actually lose weight. Carbs puts weight on.

I am always amazed by the reasons people will bump an inactive thread. Especially when that reason is to prove that they have no understanding of how the human body works.

The food you eat does not need to be burned off immediately to prevent the calories from being stored as fat. It takes 6-8 hours for food to pass through the stomach and small intestine, and remains in the large intestine for an average of 40 hours. Eating after 7 pm does not cause weight gain, especially since your body is still working on digesting breakfast….from yesterday.
    For a first post, no less.

I do admit, though, that I don't eat after I go to sleep.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    In general you don't want to eat right before bed - and the further from bedtime that you eat (up to a few hours) the better. But, given you are losing I wouldn't worry about it - the number of calories you eat is more important then when you eat them so if say you ate diner at 6 and used up your calories for the day and then had a snack later that pushed you over that is worse then waiting to eat until 8 and not having a snack that pushes you over. Again, since you are losing now I wouldn't worry about it. If/when you hit a plateau later maybe revisit the topic.

Why?