Mice become Obese WITHOUT Consuming Any More Calories

Options

Replies

• cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    So, I guess these 45 pounds I lost don't mean anything? Guess I should stop eating during my lunch break.

/night shift worker
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Good thing we have studies on humans showing that nocturnal eating habits aren't detrimental:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17909674
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3508745

^ that
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    So were the experiment mice as active as the control mice? Or does the study even mention it?

Because, honestly, unless you say yes, I'm not going to bother reading it. Correlation does not equal causation... and not every study is legitimately modeled after the scientific method.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    What's an unnatural eating time for a mouse? I don't my mouse getting fat and being bullied by the other mice.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Wish I was a cat in that study.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Do you even endocrine regulate :laugh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Oh wait... the mice that ate at night couldn't possibly have been as active as the control mice...

Because mice aren't NOCTURNAL.

You didn't even link to the study itself. The media love to grab on to sensational little tidbits like this and hand-pick what they want to publish about it. They know the headline will get you to read it. Who cares how legitimate the study is?
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Did the studies mention what hormones or drugs were given to the mice?
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Good thing we have studies on humans showing that nocturnal eating habits aren't detrimental:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17909674
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3508745

^ that
    I was already working night shift when I started losing fat and getting healthier. Nearing 200 lbs lost with another 90-100 more to go to reach my goal weight. Is it hard? At times it is. It's also slowed down, but it's not impossible.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    nobody is going to mention that calorie estimates are estimates? Maybe the 'unnatural' mice did in fact eat more? How on earth did they make them eat at different times, ayhow?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess I can blame that for getting fat then...but I won't. The sad truth is that I got fat because of my own bad decisions..not my sleep schedule. *sigh* Accountability...the cold, hard truth....
  • Eat_clean_stay_tiny
    Options
    It doesn't matter what time someone eats.

Stop freaking people out and spreading bull crap around.

Eating at night, WON'T KILL YOU or make you gain weight.

Eating at lunch time or an hour later then usual for lunch, WON'T KILL YOU or make you gain weight.

I truly think people believe everything on the internet now and it makes me laugh and feel bad for all of those people.

Plus, We're not mice so..
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    It doesn't matter what time someone eats.

Stop freaking people out and spreading bull crap around.

Eating at night, WON'T KILL YOU or make you gain weight.

Eating at lunch time or an hour later then usual for lunch, WON'T KILL YOU or make you gain weight.

I truly think people believe everything on the internet now and it makes me laugh and feel bad for all of those people.

Plus, We're not mice so..

Bonjour
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Cherry picking a few things because I don't want to read the whole study.....

Scientists have recently looked at a mammalian clock gene in fat cells that is known under two names: "Arntl" and "Bmal1." The researchers found that when mice carry a deletion of the clock gene Arntl/Bmal1 in their fat cells, that the mice do two things: they shift their normal eating pattern from nighttime to daytime…and they become obese. This deletion of the Arntl/Bmal1 gene results in a broken molecular clock that disrupts the brain-body timing involved in eating.

The Penn team found that only a handful of genes were altered when the clock was broken in fat cells and these governed how unsaturated fatty acids, such as eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) were released into the blood stream. Interestingly, these are the same fatty acids that are typically associated with fish oils. Sure enough, levels of EPA and DHA were low in both plasma and in the hypothalamus at the time of inappropriate feeding.
    However, when the Arntl/Bmal1 deleted mice were fed EPA and DHA, their normal metabolism was restored.

ETA. The last line, and that it appears they were mutant mice, by the researchers I am assuming, once the were given back what was missing because of having their fat cells broken they went back to normal.

Upon reading about broken fat cells though I think I am going to use that, I am not really obese my fat cells are just broken.
  • DarkHours
    DarkHours Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I gained all my weight by eating tasty, crunchy mice that were fat from being night-worker mice.
    I started cutting calories by not eating their yummy heads.
    Therefore, not all calories are created equal. Calories that involve brains are bad.

Raspberry ketones anyone?
  • wrotruck
    wrotruck Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Here is a study that shows the complexity of obesity. These mice became OBESE WITHOUT consuming any more calories than control mice. They only ate at unnatural times.

There are at least four other studies like this demonstrating that you can fatten mice WITHOUT feeding them any more calories.

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_Releases/2012/11/fitzgerald/

I'm curious so, I'll ask.

How did they study define Obese? Was it weight or body fat percentage? They are very diffrent things...
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Yes, because My great great great grandmother's sister in law once removed was a mouse, so that means I am related to mice. No wonder my kids can relate to Mikey and Minnie Mouse so much.

There are also various Scientific studies that indicate that humans are in fact, NOT mice :noway:
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Here is a study that shows the complexity of obesity. These mice became OBESE WITHOUT consuming any more calories than control mice. They only ate at unnatural times.

There are at least four other studies like this demonstrating that you can fatten mice WITHOUT feeding them any more calories.

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_Releases/2012/11/fitzgerald/

I'm curious so, I'll ask.

How did they study define Obese? Was it weight or body fat percentage? They are very diffrent things...

No clue. The article was just an article. I looked but couldn't find a link or any other details about the study. *shrugs*
  • shaleyn
    shaleyn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    When OP posted over here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/749701-95-of-people-who-lose-weight-put-it-back-on-why that we can't change our inherited body weight by more than 8 lbs, I decided any other topics posted by them would be pretty useless.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    As long as you are continuing to exercise, you can likely ward off the "hormonal disadvantage" of less than optimum circumstances for fat burning. One of the first things that happens when sleep is disrupted is a rise in cortisol levels, which disrupts other hormonal flows (some of them build lean muscle, others spur the metabolism, and suppress appetite, etc.). Vigorous exercise helps to lower elevated cortisol levels. Maintaining control of the appetite is paramount in any program to burn fat and keep it off. Exercise, because of its effect on hormonal cascades, is the best way to deal with shift work. Avoiding the empty calories of sugar and starch will help as well. Unfortunately, many people become depressed when they do shift work. Some of it is physical (sleep/hormonal disruption) and some of it is emotional (not always an easy thing to accept that one is sleeping when the rest of the world is awake, and vice versa). Depressed people often reach out for "comfort food"---which usually isn't spinach, celery and rutabaga.

p.s. The bottom line is that SOME people gain weight when they do evening or night shift work. But since not all do, it is unlikely that there is some universal bio-chemistry operating there. And even if, for a myriad of reasons, gaining of body fat is made easier, it is, by no means, a foregone conclusion that one will gain.