Is The Hourglass Shape Better/Ideal??

Options
TropicalFlowerz
TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
So, I've heard for years that the hourglass shape is ideal,...but is it really??? Sure,..if your a 50's Pin Up!,..-BUT not an everyday gal,..I have struggled for years buying cloths! I've always had bust and hips roughly same size (inches),..and waist 10 inches smaller... They dont make cloths to fit us girls that are truly curvy...even when thin! Wish someone would come out w/ a great line for us "hourglass girls",....if ya know of a brand ,let me know! At my smallest ,..am never smaller than 36-24-36,...Any other gals with this same problem ,feel free to vent!:laugh: (currently not at my smallest)

Replies

• _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Ideal for what?..clothes?
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Agreed, ideal for what?
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    babygotback_zpsce66278e.jpg
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have a 12-inh diference in my waist compared to bust and hips and no problem finding flattering clothes. You just have to get to know your body and what works.
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    It may not be ideal for clothes but it sure is nice to look at.
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options

Yes clothing/shopping..
  • rml_16
    Options
    It may not be ideal for clothes but it sure is nice to look at.
    How you doin'? :wink:

Seriously though, OP, for jeans. I always go for a midrise. They sit at the hip and aren't so low you're giving the world away. But you also don't have to worry about fitting hips AND waist.

Look for scoop neck, turtleneck, boat neck or deep V-necks for tops. You just have to try things on. No body type is flattered by every piece of clothing out there.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    babygotback_zpsce66278e.jpg

:laugh: That's funny!

Hourglass figure isn't something you should strive for because everyone falls into different categories. If you're an hourglass figure, you can rock that. If you're a pear, you can rock that. (Personally, I also cannot lie. I love me some juicy *kitten*!) And so on and so forth. I also think that body shape is genetic, not something you can change.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options

Yes clothing/shopping..

I think it depends, I consider myself to have an hourglass shape only I am smaller . I have no issues with clothes shopping, but someone larger or taller with an hourglass shape may have difficulty.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Clothing is designed by men who have no figures for women who have perfect figures. We all do the best we can.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    For keeping time it's pretty accurate...pending you lose no sand.

Other than that....this topic.....AGAIN?
  • rml_16
    Options

If you actually read the OP, you will see that she has a very specific question.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Who cares, like you can change your shape anyway.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Any shape is ideal or better to any one person... Every one person has a different view...

So no, the hourglass shape is not better, nor is any other one... And most people have trouble buying clothes....

I`m an hourglass and yes, I have worlds of trouble buying clothes...... But so does my friend who is 5`11 and straight like a pin.
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    I have very broad shoulders and hips and a small waist, I love it and find stuff that is flattering all the time, you just have to look hard and shop higher end stuff. I use consignment to get stuff so I am not breaking the bank, and still look great.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    There is no "ideal" body shape. If this happens to be your body shape shop around until you find styles/brands that fit it. You aren't the only one. Also, you can have things tailored, or do alterations yourself.
  • juicy_cat
    juicy_cat Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Move to England.....I'm 39/29/39 and have no probs here...or look on ebay...for Jeans Levi Curve or very good...
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options

If you actually read the OP, you will see that she has a very specific question.

Again...."This topic....AGAIN?"
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Yes clothing/shopping..

I'm an hourglass as well, and you can find ways of finding figure-flattering clothes.

Levi's 529 curvy cut jeans are at the top of my list. Express also makes REALLY nice t-shirts that fit a larger bust but don't droop at the waist.

It just takes a little time to figure it out.

We actually have a good group of ladies on here that have info on how to find good clothes for your figure: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/5507-mfp-fearless-fashionistas
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I have a 12'' difference between my waist and hips.

Yoga pants with a fitted top always look good on me, and mid rise jeans work well. I have a few pairs of jeans from the Gap - they make a "curvy" line.

Leggings work, too. You just have to experiment with different styles and make sure you avoid those "mom jeans". They don't do anybody a favor.