To eat organic or not?

Options
Ok guys and girls, I need opinions here. Ive been looking into eating more organically. I know its a little pricey, and it wont make me lose weight any faster. But it is healthier. I just want to know what everyone thinks about it. Is it worth it? Anybody notice any good changes when they started eating more organically?

Replies

• DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't feel it is worth it.
    However, I do like it for more processed foods (snack crackers, icecream). But, and I know many will disagree with me, I feel a tomato is a tomato is a tomato.

Eating seasonal and local is probably a better way to be than organic. Produce always seems richer and more flavorful when it is actually in season.
  • viktorijandz
    viktorijandz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree - tomato is always a tomato. But... A tomato can be genetically modified and pumped with dozens of pesticides, herbicides and other stuff which, oh boy, doesn't do any good for your health. On the other hand, a tomato can be the one which tastes and smells like a tomato. That's how organically grown tomato looks like. So basically seasonal and locally grown goods should be bought to achieve this. Of course, buying all food which is all organic can be extrimely expensive but you can always follow the rule to consume as much organic food as you can afford yourself.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree - tomato is always a tomato. But... A tomato can be genetically modified and pumped with dozens of pesticides, herbicides and other stuff which, oh boy, doesn't do any good for your health. On the other hand, a tomato can be the one which tastes and smells like a tomato. That's how organically grown tomato looks like. So basically seasonal and locally grown goods should be bought to achieve this. Of course, buying all food which is all organic can be extrimely expensive but you can always follow the rule to consume as much organic food as you can afford yourself.

I agree. Also, organic does not equal healthy. there is plenty of organic junk food for sale. I buy organic based on the Clean 15/Dirty dozen list. If it is on the Dirty Dozen list (the fruits and veg that soak in the most pesticides) I buy organic. This includes peppers, celery, peaches. If it is on the Clean 15 list, they are the least likely to contain pesticide residue. Onions, avocados, eggplant are all on the "clean" list. You can Google the list, it is posted on a ton of different websites.
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options

I agree. Also, organic does not equal healthy. there is plenty of organic junk food for sale. I buy organic based on the Clean 15/Dirty dozen list. If it is on the Dirty Dozen list (the fruits and veg that soak in the most pesticides) I buy organic. This includes peppers, celery, peaches. If it is on the Clean 15 list, they are the least likely to contain pesticide residue. Onions, avocados, eggplant are all on the "clean" list. You can Google the list, it is posted on a ton of different websites.
    and to add onto this, get organic coffee if you can afford it and drink it. apparently, beans are sprayed too.
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    I JUST decided to go organic- and I do believe that it makes a big difference. I really started to read up on it and I couldn't believe the things that I was putting in my body. Definately do what works for you.... but I have been eating organic for a week and I am finding that I eat WAY less and feel full longer. It's actually saving me money because I'm not eating a BUNCH of "Frankenfoods" to feel full.
    I started watching "LeanSecrets" on youtube... and I loved it so much that I bought her book and read it in one day. Check it out.

I also agree that "organic" doesn't exactly mean healthy..... but it really helped me out with controling my (legit) hunger!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The regulations on organics are so lax that it really isn't worth it. There are all kinds of organizations claiming organic certification and there is no one body overseeing any of it. Each has it's own idea of what is organic and rarely does anyone actually check that those practices are being followed. Unless you buy fresh from a farm that you are familiar with their practices you have no idea what has actually been done with that product.

As far as nutrition, unless you grow the food yourself or pick it up directly from a far you're far better off purchasing frozen vegetables. Fresh can have been picked a week or more before you receive it and have been bouncing around in a truck and passing through warehouses. The standard for frozen is field to freezer within 6 hours or less.

Working in the food industry has really given me an appreciation of how the food chain actually works and you'd be shocked if you knew how most of your food is processed and handled.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I eat organic because Chicken tastes like I remember what chicken tastes like, beef tastes like beef, pork tastes like pork. The difference is astonishing.

All the organic fruits actually taste 'real'. Non-organic tastes kinda 'flat' to me.

Basically, I don't believe in 'forcing food to grow at astonishing rates just to have an over abundance to feed everybody', we throw away so much produce because we simply grow too much of it. Just read an article where GMO corn (the kind made to be pest resistant) is actually killing the honeybees in that area. What will that do to me eventually?

I don't *exclusively* eat organic, I still go out to eat, but whatever food I eat that I can control, I try to make sure it's organic.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    for certain things I find that it's worth it. I prefer organic meat, poultry, and eggs
  • starrchiild
    starrchiild Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think it's worth it and am slowly starting to move in that direction. Price is a consideration though as I am trying to add muscle and thus trying to eat around 200 grams of protein a day. To go all organic would be cost prohibitive. Best case scenario would be to eat 100% organic in my opinion.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    only certain things for me are worth it. It's a money grabber in my opinion.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I dont think it matters health-wise for adults, tho organic may taste better. For my baby (now toddler) i do choose at least hormone-free milk and I also sought out the organic fruits and veggies when I made her baby food.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I tend to buy organic fruits and veg simply because I find it tastes better.

As for the health benefits . . . you're going to get a lot of mixed opinion on that but I don't believe there's a dramatic difference in the amount of nutrients an organic item has over an inorganic item.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Who says it's healthier? Besides the people that sell it and the people that are already paying for it and need to justify the prices?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    #firstworldproblems
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    meh... I disagree that organic tastes better but that's just me. I just think it costs more and there is no scientific evidence to support that it is better for you.
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    it is healthier at least for fresh produce because toxic chemicals haven't been sprayed on them. there's some fruit/veg you should ALWAYS buy organic.

http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I remember reading an article a few months back about which foods are worth the price for organic, and which don't really matter. I couldn't find the exact article, but here is a similar one:

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/ss/slideshow-to-buy-or-not-to-buy-organic
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    See the dirty dozen and the clean 15 for the best foods to eat organic
    http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/

I find food at whole food stores to be of better freshness and quality thus it has better taste. Organic foods at kroger meh
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    typically if I'm going to buy organic, I buy organic things that I eat the skins on (like tomatoes, apples). if I peel them (like oranges, bananas), it depends on the price.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/16/science/stanford-organic-food-study-and-vagaries-of-meta-analyses.html?_r=0

One study found that organic is better
    One study found that organic is the same

Key points:

The Stanford and Newcastle studies agree on many points. For most vitamins and minerals, both studies found no large difference between organic and conventional produce. The Newcastle study found that organic produce had a modest 9 percent increase in vitamin C; the Stanford study did not.

Both studies also found that organic produce contained more of the compounds known as phenols, believed to help prevent cancer and other diseases. But the Stanford study questioned whether the phenol increase was real..