Stretches before and after running?

Options
2»

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I always start out walking - at least 3-5 minutes which gets me out of my neighborhood, across the busy road and to the place where I start running, so it's perfect. After I always walk it out for several minutes as well, and then do some stretching at home - always feels good after a good run, and seems to help with knees, hips, calves, etc.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Ive been running and cycling for years without stretching. I step on the road and go - though I do walk down my heart rate post run, helps with the lactic acid.
    Stretching before a run neither prevents nor causes injury, according to a study presented at the 2011 Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS).
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/02/110218083422.htm

I also use a vibrator massager. I have both the big professional two handed and the back of the hand model. I often use either before or after my run....especially after the run. I have less muscle pain and it is great for shin splints.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options
    I get very tight calves too, and I have to stretch them before I begin. Try just doing the standard calf stretch, leaning against the wall with your foot flat behind you, put it back far enough that you feel the stretch. Then, keeping the same position, bend your knee and you will fee the stretch lower in your calves, just above your ankle. I do this on both sides for 20-30 seconds, 2x. After that I walk at a good clip for 5 minutes, then start running.
    People will say not to, but if your calves are as tight as mine, you will definitely benefit from this. Good luck!

Try the vibrator massager. It loosens the calves, ankles, knees, etc. better than anything I have ever tried.
  • SHAUNA71904
    Options
    A great stretch on the middle of a cramp if outside is find a curb and step on it with your ball of your foot. Then allow your heel to drop off of the curb then pull back up then drop back down. It really stretched the leg nicely.

I also battle leg cramps when I walk/jog 5ks. I feel mine is lack oh proper hydration. Carry some shot blocks. Don't mix with Gatorade. But also I drink nothing but water. I drink 50% in oz of my weight daily. I also heard coq10 helps. 100mg on the am and 100mg in the pm.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch. I'll do a 5 minute walk before and after my run. As other pointed out stretching doesn't do much for you.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options
    A great stretch on the middle of a cramp if outside is find a curb and step on it with your ball of your foot. Then allow your heel to drop off of the curb then pull back up then drop back down. It really stretched the leg nicely.

I also battle leg cramps when I walk/jog 5ks. I feel mine is lack oh proper hydration. Carry some shot blocks. Don't mix with Gatorade. But also I drink nothing but water. I drink 50% in oz of my weight daily. I also heard coq10 helps. 100mg on the am and 100mg in the pm.

Too high or low levels of salt and potassium can cause leg cramps. (I bet you arent low on sodium) Is it possible that you are taking in too many electrolytes? I doubt you would need Gatorade or shot blocks for a 5K walk/jog if you are eating balance meals. Bananas, oranges, & potatoes will do the job and not add a bunch of empty calories. Some people swear by a shot of pickle juice for cramps, but I dont because of the sodium.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Too high or low levels of salt and potassium can cause leg cramps. (I bet you arent low on sodium) Is it possible that you are taking in too many electrolytes? I doubt you would need Gatorade or shot blocks for a 5K walk/jog if you are eating balance meals. Bananas, oranges, & potatoes will do the job and not add a bunch of empty calories. Some people swear by a shot of pickle juice for cramps, but I dont because of the sodium.

Another addition to this, magnesium actually helps the body to make use of the sodium and potassium. You could be eating decent quantity of them, but if low mag - your body isn't getting to use it all.

So in essence, still low.