Cat problems - need advice plz!

Options
uk_angeldust
uk_angeldust Posts: 241 Member
Sorry guys this is not fitness related but I need some advice plz. We got a 5 month old kitten Lexi (female) in our house as of today and she keeps fighting with our 1 and a half yr old cat Emmie (female). (Long story cut short they are a mother and daughter - previously owners could not keep Lexi so they 'returned' her to us). They are not physical (yet) as I try to keep them apart but they hiss and growl at each other. Will this get any better! plz help! What can I do to make it better?

Replies

• Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    It's been 1 day? :huh:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Advice = give it time.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Confine your new cat to one room, and let the existing cat feel secure that she owns the rest of the house. I would give that at least a day or so. Then let the new one out and let them sort it out. If they fight, it's likely to be fairly brief if the new cat backs down right away. You can help establish the correct relationship by feeding your older cat first, for example. Give them separate little trays, too.

Be patient, animals have their ways of sorting out who is boss, and usually things settle down quite quickly once this is established. Consistently breaking things up will probably prolong the period of sorting out dominance. If you find that after a week or so they are still fighting or one is beginning to persistently bully the other, you might need some more serious behavioural management. But let them have at it for a while first.
  • IsabellaC45
    IsabellaC45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I think maybe Lexi is feeling a bit intimidated by your other older cat, who has been with the family for longer. And possibly stressed from the move away from her family.
    Just show her lots of love, and give it a bit of time. I'm sure she will settle. :)
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Advice = give it time.

*winner*
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    They will always hate each other. One will probably decide to move out.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Advice = give it time.

*winner*

Agree. It took about 3 weeks for my cats to warm up to each other. And then they still fought occasionally.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I know this is only anecdotal evidence, so take it with a grain of salt.

When my sister got her second cat she had the same problem. She got one of these things you plug into an outlet (like a room freshener, lol!) that has cat pheromones or something, and she claims it worked great.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    This is a great article about how to introduce new cats to each other - or even how to re-introduce cats that were just thrown together and don't get along. Good luck!

http://www.littlebigcat.com/behavior/cat-to-cat-introductions/
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I would separate them as well, and put their food on either side of the door so they associate happy eating with each other.

when you bring the other one out, play with both of them with a string or cat toy, again happy and fun.

Ive fostered many many cats.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Sorry hit enter and it posted for me. re-introduce them slowly - keep them seperated and slowly get them back together... the older female WILL put the younger one in her place... it will take more than one day tho.

My moms cats did this when the newest one was introduced, the older female still hates the youngest male but they live with eachother and dont fight all the time.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    When I introduced a new kitty to a resident, I used a baby gate to separate them.....they could see each other but couldn't get at each other. In the beginning there was hissing and spitting. But, eventually, it stopped after several days and then I took away the gate. Things were fine after that.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Did Lexi just come back?

If so: separate them and you'll have to reintroduce them slowly. I mean slowly. Check out this article:
    http://www.fourpaws.org/pages/adopting_pages/introducing_cats.html

If not - If the cats were getting along for the past couple of weeks and now they are fighting, you have an entirely different problem. First off, get them both checked out by the vet. Sometimes cats will become aggressive when they are sick or injured. After that there are other things you can do. We can message about it.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    It might solve itself, it might not. I have a kitteh who only lives in my bedroom because he never got over it.

Good luck!
  • Boobookittyfq
    Boobookittyfq Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    i had a 1 yr old kitten meet a 4 month old male all she did was hiss and fight for about 3 days after a while she warmed up to him .. Just give them a week usually because their not used to the other kitten's scent ... brushing both kittens with the same brush will help and try giving them treats together try to interact with each other ... but patience always works goodluck :)
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    get a dog.
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    yes it will get better cats are very territorial so of course they will both be pissed. just keep them seperated for 2 days or so then let them slowly come around eachother, let them smell eachother and they might hiss and growl but just leave them unless they start fighting....if you attempt to break them up be wearing a jacket and have a towel to grab one.!!!!! with time they will be fine though. ive had alot of cats and watch alot of documentarys on cats and their behavior and its awesome how they work. just my 2 cents :) good luck
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    May I suggest something along these lines....

264093965620226334_k48GB055_c.jpg
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Let them duke it out.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have two siamese cats, brother and sister, who are 3 years old. They were brought home together, get along most of the time but sometimes they fight like maniacs. Just give it some time. They need to establish their boudaries.