skin moisturizers

Options
Hey living in Northern Michigan, and it is really dry here with the winter thing going on. At this point I don't even care how much it costs, but does anybody know of any good moisturizers or services to get some not so dry skin? I'm just tired....I could bathe in oil, and it still wouldn't keep me moisturized! Thanks!

Replies

• jnkreis
    jnkreis Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hey living in Northern Michigan, and it is really dry here with the winter thing going on. At this point I don't even care how much it costs, but does anybody know of any good moisturizers or services to get some not so dry skin? I'm just tired....I could bathe in oil, and it still wouldn't keep me moisturized! Thanks!
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    The best stuff by far, to me, is Curel. I swear by it and use it everyday after I shower. I need it too, because I tan alot. It is also safe to use on your face.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I love this stuff called "No Crack". I get it at Restoration Hardware; you might be able to find it online. For my face I use Oil of Olay complete with spf 15.
  • alaskagal
    alaskagal Posts: 326
    Options
    Living in Alaska...I feel your pain.

I had good luck with InfiniteAloe Advanced Skin Care. I do believe this is one of those MLM type deals that you have to buy directly from the people who are involved with the company. (I am not in any way involved with this company or product other than as a consumer of the cream.) I love that it's light and yet still keeps my skin from falling off. Here's the website if you're interested. www.InfiniteAloe.com
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    If you don't care about the cost I love shiseido products for my face, and Gold Bond Aloe lotion for my body. Not super expensive, but definitely not the cheapest.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I asked the same thing to my dermatologist today and he suggested a facial moisturizer that's:

Non-Comedogenic (creams that do not block pores)
    Hypoallergenic

DML (Dermatological Moisturizing Lotions) have these properties and are non-prescriptive; I love this brand and it's fantastic. My dermatologist swears by this moisturizer since it helps with dry skin that's exposed to sun, adverse climatic conditions, chemical agents, or skin abrasion. It's non-sticky, non-greasy and lays well underneath my makeup and sunscreen.

My dermatologist also recommends anything above SPF 15 for the skin if you're exceptionally light like me.

Good Luck in your Search!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    cetaphil cream (for all over, costco 9.99, everywhere else 14.99)
    aquaphor ointment (depending on size 4.99-18.99, awesome for hands and feet!
    I live in arizona and in the summer I use a little neutragena sesame oil in the shower and then finish it off with the cream, same in the dryer parts of winter.

choose a cream, not a lotion. Lotions contain alcohol which is why lotions are typically lighter and dry faster, problem is the alcohol will help keep your dry skin dryer than you'd like.

Also, make sure you are getting plenty of water, 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water + 8 ounces for dry or humid climate + 8 ounces for every 30 minutes of exercise!
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    The best stuff by far, to me, is Curel. I swear by it and use it everyday after I shower. I need it too, because I tan alot. It is also safe to use on your face.

Ditto! usually in the winter my skin is just a dry itchy mess..for the past 2 years this is the only thing that I will use (especially on my face). I buy mine at Walmart, and a huge bottle is less than $7.
  • pfisher
    pfisher Posts: 28
    Options
    I really like Jergens Coco Butter. It smells like the beach and feels good.
  • laurae
    laurae Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My skin was so dry that I was itching all over my legs. I went to the doctor, and she recommended Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion. I use the fragrance free to avoid any irritation.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Oh man. Do I relate to you. I could lather myself is petroleum jelly (heheh, eeeky but it works) and sometimes that wouldn't even work.

Try not to take too hot showers and I ALWAYS put lotion on my body after a shower, usually cocao butter that I buy in West Indian stores, not that stuff that seems to be mixed with other lotions and then claiming its cocoa butter.

On my face, that is the worst. I usually look like I am peeling everyday because its so dry and trust me, I dont go in the sun. lol I am still trying to figure that one out - trying everything. I recently bought Vichy ... I forget the name exactly (something - 25). It feels really great and you use little and it DOES moisturize. Also they tell you to use that technique on how to spread it all over your face in streaks.

We'll see in two weeks if my face looks more hydrated
  • graypink0130
    Options
    I always lather up with baby oil before I step out of the shower and then dab dry my body with my towel, my boyfriend always says it makes my skin so smooth, so I guess it works.:glasses:
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I always lather up with baby oil before I step out of the shower and then dab dry my body with my towel, my boyfriend always says it makes my skin so smooth, so I guess it works.:glasses:

ahhh I forgot! I do that too. I alternate days, one day cocoa butter and the next day oil.
  • Gorgeous
    Gorgeous Posts: 248
    Options
    yay!
    im an esthetician (facials waxing and makeup)

and i reccomend dermalogica
    they are great they have lines for oily and dry and acne all of it

or try
    reeda mcqueen alot cheaper
    when i was in beauty school we used her products the ginsing creme is AMAZING!

she has a website
    i would use her ginging creame as mositerizer