moving to England

Options
mlagena
mlagena Posts: 154 Member
Hey there!

My husband and I are moving to RAF Mildenhall in MAY! O_O'' I just wanted to see if there's anyone on here from the area!
We've been in touch with a housing agency that suggested the Newmarket area, so we might be letting a house there, but we'll see!
We're super excitedt to go, but I am terrified about the plane ride! lol :frown: :embarassed:

-Megan

Replies

• steffi1686
    steffi1686 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Sounds fun! My fiance lives in England and I have been there a lot. Usually a few months in summer and during the holidays in winter. Just get used to everything being small..houses, cars, washing machines, ect. Oh and make sure to bring an umbrella!

A good place to shop for stylish plus size clothes there is Neu Look. I have a lot of clothes from there.
  • mlagena
    Options
    cool, thanks! do you plan on moving there eventually or is he coming here?
    how is the plane ride??? lol I've never flown. :embarassed:
  • Belle84
    Belle84 Posts: 36
    Options
    oi about the umbrella comment :P lol VERY unfair.....but i do live in south and it is nicer lol xxxx good luck with the move xxxx
  • steffi1686
    steffi1686 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Ah my fiance is from the North and it rained a lot...but on the up side the temperatures are pretty mild and the grass stays green and soft.

He plans on immigrating here..we actually are going through the process of getting his fiance visa so we can get married.

The plane ride is around 7 or 8 hours...just bring a book to read and watch the in flight movies and the time will go by soon enough. Make sure to get up and walk around a bit too and drink plenty of water. It might be hard to adjust to the time zone at first..it took me a few days.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    England is beautiful. Haven't been in about 36 years, but I have fond memories of my trip. You will have loads of fun getting used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

Since you mentioned never having flown before, I would encourage you to research what you can, and CANNOT take in your carryon luggage, and make sure the items you pack, particularly personal toiletries are packaged in compliance with the TSA regulations. Travel is stressful enough without losing personal items you need just because they are in the wrong type of container.

Good luck with your journey.
  • katzpawz
    katzpawz Posts: 754
    Options
    We moved from the U.S. to London last year. You'll be fine on the plane, just try to relax and read, watch movies or sleep.
    If you do much cooking, be prepared for UK recipes to be written using metric measurements. Nutrition info on food labels is also a little different from your used to seeing in the US. There are things you have to get used to, but you'll have so many wonderful experiences, seeing new places and meeting new people, that the trade off is well worth it.

Cheers!
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

My husband and I are moving to RAF Mildenhall in MAY! O_O'' I just wanted to see if there's anyone on here from the area!
    We've been in touch with a housing agency that suggested the Newmarket area, so we might be letting a house there, but we'll see!
    We're super excitedt to go, but I am terrified about the plane ride! lol :frown: :embarassed:

-Megan

Ohhh you'll be close to Cambridge - Lovely town.. great little shops there! Im a little south east of London so its only a half hour train journey and im in the big city!!

I hope the move goes well!

Katherine x
  • rosysilhouette
    Options
    Just get used to everything being small..houses, cars, washing machines, ect. Oh and make sure to bring an umbrella!

yes everything is small, compared to the USA, but that is because we have the same land area as Michigan (actually a little less) with 62 million people squeezed in haha (they have only 10mil)

but yeah, im going to Florida in the summer, and i am SOOO scared about the flight. I was thinking about taking some sleeping pills.
  • paulo79
    paulo79 Posts: 25
    Options
    Newmarket is a lovely town and I lived not too far from there for 7 years, Cambridge isn't too far and you're only an hours drive from London.

I drive from Essex/London regularly up that area of the country to see my kids and it's an easy journey.

The plane ride will be fine, you don't need to be scared of flying, just scared of crashing lol
  • mlagena
    Options
    The plane ride will be fine, you don't need to be scared of flying, just scared of crashing lol

wow, THANKS paulo! :tongue: LMAO
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

but yeah, im going to Florida in the summer, and i am SOOO scared about the flight. I was thinking about taking some sleeping pills.

You need to find a better way to cope. You do not want to be in a flying metal cyclinder with a bunch of strangers for several hours under the influence of a sleeping med. Investigate relaxation techniques that you can use while on the plane. For myself, what bothers me is taking off and landing. The time in between is not a problem. I have never considered sleeping pills, but if you are genuinely fearful, you might talk to your doctor about some anti-anxiety medication, and make sure you take at least a couple of doses while you are on the ground to be sure how you will react to it.