Best Sneakers for Running and/ or Zumba?

Options
Hi all. I am looking for new running shoes as well as new shoes for aerobics (zumba) and total body conditioning. What are your favorite shoes for either or both? Looking for suggestions...

Replies

• Valarie73
    Valarie73 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to running sneaks b'c I am not a fan of running at this point in my life. However, for Zumba, I had to look for sneakers that either had a 'pivot spot' like some dance shoes have, or something that doesn't have a ton of traction b'c I wore my regular cross-trainer sneaks to my first Zumba class [not knowing what to expect] and I nearly torqued my knee on a spin b'c my body moved but my foot didn't. LOL.

Some people swear by Nike dance shoes for Zumba. I had a pair, but couldn't wear them as they are narrow and did not 'give' in size as the salesperson indicated.

Good luck!
  • LaceySanford
    Options
    GET skeletoes, they are awesome!! (:
  • meghanmfitzgerald
    meghanmfitzgerald Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have to second the Skeletoes. I wear them for running, zumba, kickboxing and everything and I'm in love with them!
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I started with a cheaper pair of running shoes ( Ryka) , but I love how they feel. They have a lot of support for my feet and I have not experience shin splints since I have started using them. However, that being said, you want something that is comfortable to your feet, and gives you the cushion to help with impact.

I would not suggest shoes for both. I have learned that good running shoes are not good for side to side motions that I imagine Zumba would include.

Hope this helps.
  • ashkas2
    ashkas2 Posts: 32
    Options
    My instructor swears by the Zumba brand shoes. I'm going to order a pair soon because I know exactly what you're talking about. In the meantime, I picked up a cheapish pair of sneaks that look like a cross between a jazz shoe and a boxer's trainer. Lightweight, with spots without grip and other than not having much cushion, they are working very well for the money I paid for them (about $25). P.s. looking for new friends to add, especially people who love zumba as much as me. :)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I don't do Zumba, but go to a running store (not a chain, an actual running specialty shop) and get fitted for running shoes. A good store will analyze your gait, watch you walk/run, and allow you to return the shoes if you don't like them after a few runs. You can expect to pay about 100$. The wrong shoes will lead to injury. Everyone's feet are different, so don't go by what feels good for someone else on here.

I also have different shoes to do other workouts in. Since running shoes only last around 300-500 miles, they are dedicated to running and nothing else.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am looking for new running shoes as well as new shoes for aerobics (zumba) and total body conditioning. What are your favorite shoes for either or both? Looking for suggestions...

New Balance for both. I do both Zumba and jog. (more like slog, since I am really slow) I did my research when it came to running shoes and with my wide and flat feet plus being a heavier runner, motion control type shoes works the best for me. As for Zumba I got a New Balance cross trainers with a pivot spot on the sole. The cross trainers, unlike the running shoes, have almost no tread which is important for Zumba in my opinion. Less grip/tread, the better.
  • GarethChapman
    Options
    Usually you'll want something different from your Zumba shoes than your running shoes.

Zumba shoes want to have a pivot spot so your can twist and turn without hurting your knees, where as running shoes you want to provide you more grip so you don't twist and turn while running :-)

The closest combination for both I'd recommend are the Nike Free + 5.0 which are a minimalistic running shoe, very light and flexible and great for zumba so long as you're aware they can be a bit grippy when you side step. - Though being minimalistic they are designed for barefoot style running (landing on the balls of your feet rather than the heels).

Other than that these are my favorite zumba specific shoes

- Ryka Synergy, Studio D, Transition, Influence, Downbeat & Exertion
    - Capezio DS24 & DS11 - split soled
    - Zumba's Z-kicks II
    - Reebok dance ( these are high tops)
    - Bloch Boost - split soled
    - Bloch Amalgam
    - Puma Janine
    - Nike Musique

if you haven't done much high impact cardio or dance don't go for the nike free or z-kicks but something with more cushioning and solid sole until you can build the strength in your legs and feet.