Nervous about working out again.

Options
On november 5th, 2012 I had my lung collapse for the 2nd time the first in may of 2012. I have been walking a mile every night at my own pace but i'm really nervous about intense cardio workout that I used to do. Any good ideas on less intense workouts? I'm not too familiar with anything that my friend hasn't taught me, I feel really blonde for asking this but it can't hurt to ask right?

Replies

• SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Have you talked with your doctor about this first? Maybe he/she could recommend a routine to ease you back into it.
  • kclichee
    Options
    I have but they say I should be fine doing anything, but I know my body and I don't feel ready, when I mentioned this they just said walk but I don't want to just walk everyday I would like to ease back into my workouts again.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I have but they say I should be fine doing anything, but I know my body and I don't feel ready, when I mentioned this they just said walk but I don't want to just walk everyday I would like to ease back into my workouts again.

You can make walking a little bit harder every time, by, eg, adding 1 min of uphill walking (just one) per workout. Stop if you get any weird symptoms. But check this with eg a nurse, physio, doc.

Monitor your reactions to everything, as well as your progress, in a log.

Might be worth getting a HRM, and stay in a lower zone until you feel workouts energize you and you can recover easily.
    http://walking.about.com/cs/fitnesswalking/a/hearttraining_2.htm

For DVDs, maybe stick to low impact workouts - no jumping, plyo, step. It's actually really hard to find good low impact workouts. Most of the ones that don't involve jumping are labelled as 'toning' or 'resistance' workouts. That is, they use really light dumbbells
    (3 lbs). This is still basically aerobics. I've tried Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones, which is like this, and it's actually ok.

If you ARE doing an aerobic workout and feel things getting out of control, stop, slow down or take a break. You can prevent the heart rate getting high to start with by keeping your arms to your side, instead of up over your shoulders, and not jumping at all (just march in place).

I'd prob stay away from Insanity, etc.
  • keren22
    keren22 Posts: 18
    Options
    What kind of a workout ARE you looking for? I'd be happy to help you. Modification is often the key! I started my fitness journey almost a year ago, with may health issues. Add me and we can chat more!