Cereal

2»

Replies

• There are lots of cereals out there that taste great without the sugar... just experiment. Also I started mixing about half the recommended serving with Greek yogurt, usually plain, but vanilla would be ok too it just has more sugar. If I need more sweet I throw in some fruit instead of sugar.
  • basscadet808
    basscadet808 Posts: 37 Member
    I really Really REALLY mean this!!

If you like sweet cereal, get Fiber One 80 Calories Honey Squares!!

:love: Delish and tastes as sweet as a sweet cereal, but 3 grams of sugars and 10 grams of fiber.

Yes! I had the same problem and then I found this. A nutritionist once told me to look for cereal with at least 6 grams of fiber and less than 5 grams of sugar. Not all of the fiber one cereals fall into this so read the label before buying. The honey nut squares are amazing. I think I like them even more than lucky charms!
  • I LOVED cereal all my life...could eats bowls of it at a time. Addictive, isn't it? Sugar and wheat are my addictions, so I find that once I stopped eating them completely, I no longer crave them. I know the thought of having "just a little" is Never just a little...it's a spiral down a black hole. It's like alcohol or drugs, only with those, you can stop using them. With food, well you Have to eat...I, personally, just have to stay away from wheat and sugar forever. Bye bye Honey Bunches of Oats, loved you too much, and too well (especially the sugar).
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    If cereal is within your diet plan, it is fine. Just do not go over your calories per day and realize the actual serving size!

Most cereals are fortified with a good amount of vitamins and minerals. Many also tend to be a good source of iron because of this. Multigrain cheerios is a good example at 45% iron per serving (also low cal, and amazingly sweeter than regular cheerios).
  • elliev30
    elliev30 Posts: 20 Member
    I'm not sure about them being available in the UK.... sorry . It's an all natural cereal so maybe you have something comparable there.
  • kbru64
    kbru64 Posts: 16 Member
    Frosted mini wheats are really good and high in fiber.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    I love special K,all flavors but my bedtime treat is Cinnamon pecan.Only 110 calories and I use almond milk.Not sure if special k is available in the UK
  • GemW27
    GemW27 Posts: 41
    Thanks everyone for all your replies.

I am now on porridge (with sweetner) and Cheerios (best I can do at the minute!).
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Hey!! if it fits into your calories for the day...go for it. I have a friend on here and she has cocoa puffs everyday AND she has lost 93lbs...so something has to be working for her.
  • mary8n8
    mary8n8 Posts: 14
    stevia is an all natural sweetner that is sweet:love:
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Alpen original I find is quite sweet. They do a 'no added sugar' version, so the original must be fairly sweet to most people. You don't need much of it to fill you up.

Also the new Alpen porridge is really nice. Little paper sachet, you add milk and microwave for 2 mins and its done.

Otherwise, as others have said, if the cereal you currently eat fits into your calories and macro numbers, then its not really a problem.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Only a teaspoon of sugar in oatmeal? I use brown sugar and I do mean USE. If it fits your macros don't worry about it too much.