Depression!!!

Options
jojorocksforeva
jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
Alrighty so im having some depression this month its really hard im not a big depressed person i like being happy but i think i eat when im sad or something els when im not even hungry how do you all deal with your depression or if you have it?

Replies

• aStrongerSteph
    aStrongerSteph Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I never realized how much I suffered from depression until it occured to me that EVERYTIME I lose weight I slip into it. I have learned that exercise really can help a lot. Honestly though, the thing that has helped me most has been seeing a counselor and figuring out coping skills, other than food to deal with it.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you find your own answers :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with depression over 20 years ago. For the most part I am OK without being medicated.

What kind of exercise routine do you have? It has been shown that cardio causes the release of feel good hormones such as endorphins and seratonin. For me personally, if I don't get my cardio in, you don't want to be around me! I injured my leg in December and could not do cardio for a week...and after 3 days I was losing my mind.
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Stay out of the house and keep yourself Busy !
    Go for walk , Go to the gym to relieve some stress ,
    go for a jog , or a Bike ride ....

And stay away from the TV....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    Alrighty so im having some depression this month its really hard im not a big depressed person i like being happy but i think i eat when im sad or something els when im not even hungry how do you all deal with your depression or if you have it?
    Depression can happen from a myriad of problems. I know you and I had a debate about how you chose to lose weight, but it's obvious you're not the same spunky gal from a couple of months ago. So could it be your nutrition? Maybe. It's hard to say because we don't really know you.
    What I can say is that if you feel your depression is deep, then consult a professional. Good luck.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I resolved severe depression, anxiety, a personality disorder, and binging (supposedly a psychological disorder as well) by changing WHAT I eat. Yup, I eliminated some types of food. I also had a long list of physical illnesses resolved as well. Contrary to what many people think, most illnesses, including supposed "mental disorders" can be resolved through diet. And I am NOT an isolated case. Most of my other MFP cohorts are smart enough to avoid the general forums, but sometimes I get curious. :wink:
  • Athena125
    Athena125 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Take classes at the gym. or park district. You will make some new friends and it will get you out of the house. Watch movies. Do some little nice things for yourself like buy yourself something nice to wear that isn't too pricey. I don't take prescription meds, but I have sometimes taken an herbal supplement called Nevaton. My chiro gives it to me. Not sure if you can get it on your own. I try to eat less sugary stuff so my blood sugar doesn't go up & down so much.

Also be careful to slowly lower your calorie intake. I notice when I change my eating (a) I have nothing to be addicted to to get my mind off the emotions and (b) my body goes through an angsty funk for a couple weeks til it gets better.

It's counter intuitive, but I always feel better when I tell myself it's okay to feel crappy! Usually when I accept my bad mood and stop fighting it, it goes away. The more I fight it, the more it fights back. Don't be too hard on yourself either. It takes awhile to change eating/exercise habits.
  • Maelay
    Maelay Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue as well. However, this time around, I have been doing so much more cardio, and the problem has for the most part gone away. I'm also seeing results so that helps with my depression. My advice (take what you want) is to try to go outside more often and incorporate more cardio. Winter however, throws a wrench into that, but I try to go outside as often as possible. I went to a doctor a few years ago, and she suggested vitamin D pills. At the time they worked. I don't use them now, because I've worked through a lot of things, and cardio alone helps me. My final suggestion, if this is something more serious and not just the post Xmas/ winter blues, I would see a doctor or counselor. Good luck, and I hope you get feeling better!
  • cleanjerksnatch
    Options
    Fight depression with your diet.

Eat foods that will boost testosterone such as beans, beef, garlic, etc. Testosterone is amazing. It increases your pain threshold up to 50%, helps you cope with stress, depression etc. Muscle wastes in testosterone deficient environments. Many diseases are corrected with a balance of testosterone in contrast to estrogen. Saw palmetto is great.

Another affect of that feeling is deficiencies in vitamins and minerals. A normal person with no stress needs about 4 grams of ascorbic acid daily, aka vitamin c. Who takes 4 grams a day of vitamin c daily? This is the normal amount needed for a normal unstressed human to operate at par. For those who are losing weight and have stress will obviously need more. The body cannot convert glucose to vitamin c like all other animals can except for primates and guinea pigs. We need to take MORE than the recommended dosage stated at 200 mg a day.

Magnesium potassium aspartate is something you should take. Magnesium alone aids with muscle integrity, relaxation and prevents over excitement of cells which may cause too much stress or death of the cell. MPA, magnesium potassium asparate greatly increases your endurance and performance simply because most diets are insufficient.

This is just a little tip of the iceberg, keep working hard and there is plenty of research on a ton of other things that help your body maintain its health naturally.
  • 0ssum_Bl0ss0m
    0ssum_Bl0ss0m Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Everyone here has great contributions.

I suffer with depression and have been fighting with food and exercise. Depression is a medical condition, a lot like hypertension. Like hypertension, depression can be treated with medications but requires lifestyle changes to manage as well.
  • cleanjerksnatch
    Options

I suffer with depression and have been fighting with food and exercise. Depression is a medical condition, a lot like hypertension. Like hypertension, depression can be treated with medications but requires lifestyle changes to manage as well.

Yes they do require lifestyle changes.

Depression keeps increasing even as we have all these medications, therapies, psychiatric help etc.

Hypertension can be significantly reduced with natural means (magnesium which prevents over excitation).

I am sure it is difficult for those who suffer from depression and anxiety but IMHO the best thing to do is to take every advantage they can get. Natural means do not have the same side effects as medications do, or any other psychotropic drugs for that matter.

Persevere.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

Depression is a REAL PHYSICAL illness. It can be resolved with diet. Really, I did it, and so have many others. Meds are NOT required and NOT safe.
  • sweetsarahv
    sweetsarahv Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It has been my experience that the best thing you can do is try and stay busy. Staying home and watching tv or sleeping isn't good. You need to be out and about...even if it's just to the grocery store. Being around people is a good thing. And excercising, as much as you probably don't want to, WILL make you feel better. Endorphins are very real!!!

Good luck! Keep fighting :smile:
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Stay busy. Proper nutrition. Yoga. Even just getting up and getting out of the house. Start with a walk, a trip to the mall.. anything. Find something to work towards to (fill up your tank as my therapist put it). Maybe learn to play an instrument, learn to knit/sew, take a class (any kind).. When I was super depressed I decided I wanted to learn how to play the guitar, and I did. Not only were the lessons fun, but I was so proud of myself and it made me want to learn more things. I find as long as I have something to look forward to (a hike, guitar class, yoga class, working out that day, school, making a lasagna, ANYTHING) then I am super happy.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Even though you haven't logged anything, I'm concerned about your calorie goal being 1000. Did you know that not getting enough nutrients (like Protein) - can actually trigger depression?

Here's a link to check out - there are lots of other sources that you can google to read more on it:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/366962-signs-symptoms-of-a-low-protein-deficiency/

But please, change your goal weight unless this is a Doctor approved and supervised.

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group: (Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

For info about your macros (proteins/fats/carbs) - check out this link. It will give you the formula to figure out your #s and also how to custom change them in MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

For those eating below their BMR (which for most, 1200 is below their BMR to be honest), not going to preach at you, but here's something you might want to look at:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81391-starvation-mode-myths-and-science

For the whole eating under a 1000 calories, look...you are going to do what you want but check out the link below at some of the stories of people who thought it was okay (especially because they weren't "feeling" hungry a lot of times) but ended up regretting it. These links are just information to give you options. I'm not preaching or trying to tell you or anyone what is the "right way"...just throwing some info your way is all.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521480-1000-calories-or-less-a-day
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
    http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/3-reasons-why-eating-less-than-1000-calories-is-a-waste-of-time-3347.html

Yes, this is can all be overwhelming and complicated , but you are more than welcome to ask questions on the post.
    One of the things that I have found that has been one of the best methods for me to get fit is to understand fitness. To understand where all these figures, etc come from.

The good thing is once you get the hang of it - it is something you'll be aware of constantly and you'll get a better understanding about your eating habits.

So I HIGHLY suggest making the effort to take every chance to educate yourself. Even if you don't end up going with any of these methods, calculations, etc - at least you understand what they are, where others are coming from, and maybe they will still be able to help you figure out what is best for you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    Even though you haven't logged anything, I'm concerned about your calorie goal being 1000. Did you know that not getting enough nutrients (like Protein) - can actually trigger depression?

Here's a link to check out - there are lots of other sources that you can google to read more on it:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/366962-signs-symptoms-of-a-low-protein-deficiency/

But please, change your goal weight unless this is a Doctor approved and supervised.

If you want, check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Or for a different version to figure out your TDEE, as well as some great advice...check out:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833500-what-do-i-do-common-sense-cliff-notes

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group: (Read all the stickies. It's great information to know.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

For info about your macros (proteins/fats/carbs) - check out this link. It will give you the formula to figure out your #s and also how to custom change them in MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

For those eating below their BMR (which for most, 1200 is below their BMR to be honest), not going to preach at you, but here's something you might want to look at:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81391-starvation-mode-myths-and-science

For the whole eating under a 1000 calories, look...you are going to do what you want but check out the link below at some of the stories of people who thought it was okay (especially because they weren't "feeling" hungry a lot of times) but ended up regretting it. These links are just information to give you options. I'm not preaching or trying to tell you or anyone what is the "right way"...just throwing some info your way is all.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521480-1000-calories-or-less-a-day
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
    http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/3-reasons-why-eating-less-than-1000-calories-is-a-waste-of-time-3347.html

Yes, this is can all be overwhelming and complicated , but you are more than welcome to ask questions on the post.
    One of the things that I have found that has been one of the best methods for me to get fit is to understand fitness. To understand where all these figures, etc come from.

The good thing is once you get the hang of it - it is something you'll be aware of constantly and you'll get a better understanding about your eating habits.

So I HIGHLY suggest making the effort to take every chance to educate yourself. Even if you don't end up going with any of these methods, calculations, etc - at least you understand what they are, where others are coming from, and maybe they will still be able to help you figure out what is best for you.
    Good stuff.

I honestly believe that the approach she's using for dieting could be contributing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Find an activity that you enjoy, exercise does help, even if its just a short walk to clear your head. Find someone to talk to when your sad, having that support from others has helped me the most. I've been through depression, I was very suicidal (attempted twice, failed obviously) and then I met someone that lifted me up and gave me encouragement and listened, talked, asked me questions and helped me find myself. I married him and I haven't been severely depression since. Other than a few days here and there when something bad happens to us, but I just try to keep positive and focus on the good in life. It gets me through because trust me when I say a lot of bad **** has happened to me. I won't go into details, but everything happens for a reason and life continues to go on and I would rather be happy than dwell on my sad past.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    If adding exercise or making lifestyle changes isn't helping, it is possible that you have a clinical depression, and may want to speak with a counselor or doctor. But before popping some pills, I would recommend seeing a doctor first and running some blood work. I have a history of depression and took medications in college and was worried that I'd need to go back on them (which caused weight gain btw!!!) I found out after restricting my diet, exercising, and being a northern vampire who doesn't get any sun in teh winter, that I was deficient in vitamin d, and was slightly anemic. These can make you depressed, as well as fatigued. I ate cleaner foods, and added therapeutic vitamin d, iron, and folate supplements and my energy/positivity bounced right back. I still take maintenance vitamin d since I know I'm prone to being low and it can trigger my depression.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You used numerous exclamation points. You are not depressed, you have cabin fever. I do calisthenics and dancing to keep warm, soon the sun will come back and this too shall pass.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Depression is a REAL PHYSICAL illness. It can be resolved with diet. Really, I did it, and so have many others. Meds are NOT required and NOT safe.

You're ill informed. Talk to a schizophrenic three weeks off his meds. Come back and regal us about how he just needs to change his diet to stop receiving messages from the Mighty Overlord Zorg.

(Also, I've been eating hella better than I have in years and exercising more. Did my mental illness just vanish, even combined with other forms of therapy? No.)

Mental illness is not a blanket issue, therefore you should refrain from issuing blanket statements about its treatment. To do otherwise just makes you seem preachy and unable to understand the nuances of brain chemistry and how it affects our moods. That approach worked FOR YOU. I've met people who have managed to reign in their mental illness with a combination of spiritual approaches and fire-walking. That's not going to work for everyone.

Afford others the same courtesy.

tl;dr - don't apply the disability bingo card to the situation and you'll be fine. http://disabledfeminists.com/2009/11/02/invisible-illness-and-disability-bingo-1-0/
  • beautifulbrat
    Options
    I take my anti-depressant, otherwise I'm either really angered or a crying mess. I go to college, so that keeps my mind occupied. Exercise wise....it depends on the weather. If its too cold/raining/etc I do Leslie Sansone videos, you can walk however many miles you want. I also like Taebo and I've been looking into kickboxing. I also enjoy my treadmill some days. Maybe you should look into those?

Also writing in a journal or talking to someone you can trust is something you can do. Sometimes you just need a friend to help sort thoughts out or give ya motivation. Thats why I like MFP cause there's a lot of people who are very encouraging.
This discussion has been closed.