I need some tips on making a weightlifting plan please !:)

Options
Hey all,
so I'm still relatively new to the whole gym world - I've been going for about 2 weeks now, 3 times a week for starters.
I've been doing cardio of course and this week I entered the weight room *gasp*. so many machines and men looking like pros!
Anyways, every time this week I just kinda picked random machines and did some reps on them. but I feel like I should have a plan as to what machines, when and that kind of deal.

That's where I'm lost... I'd like some insights into what you do for your weightlifting or what you may suggest I do.
I'm an 18 year old girl, loosing fat and toning up is what I'm hoping to do.

thanks everyone :)

Replies

• youcandooeet
    youcandooeet Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My two favorite websites for developing my routines:

http://www.stumptuous.com/category/training/workout_ideas

and

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

The first link has lots of different basic routines for you to start out with. I study what I'm doing before I go to the gym, sometimes even writing myself reminders of how to do certain things. I have made up my own routine from trial and error, and use exrx to find variations of exercises and making sure I'm doing them correctly.
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    thanks for the links! I'm checking them out as I type.

good tip too, I'll try to do that before I go next time, I feel like that would make you more efficient in the gym in both the sense of time and of actual workout
  • jc2103
    jc2103 Posts: 11
    Options
    Skip the machines. Work on body weight routines until you're comfortable enough with the forms to move into free weights. Machines look pretty, but you'll find you get a better workout if you have to not only move the weights, but pay attention to your form as well.
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    There are 2 programs that seem to be really popular here:
    1. New Rules of Lifting for Women
    2. Strong lifts 5x5 (ignore the macho crap on the official website - find the group on MFP - a much saner way to go)

They both seem to be good programs. Me personally, I like JEFIT - another phone app. I'm comfortable in the gym and kind of old school, so I like to divide my lifting days in 4: back/biceps, chest/triceps, shoulders/core and legs. When I get bored with my usual workout, I look at my handy little app which in addition to being a great lifting log (yes, you should keep track of your progress), has an entire library of different exercises broken down by muscle group. Hope that helps, and happy lifting!