Shin splints?

When i was a gymnast in my much younger days i was plagued with Shin Splints. I haven't experience this pain for about 7 years now.

Last night after hitting the gym for back and triceps i felt an excruciating pain on the front of my shins. It only hurts when i do the motion of pointing my foot up (which happens when i walk of course). If i point my foot down or leave it completely level i feel nothing in my shins.

It feels like the muscle is twisting inside my leg?

Could this be shin splints again? If so, what can i do about it? Do i need to see a doctor? Is there anything i can do without seeing one? And are there certain excerises and moves i SHOULD NOT be doing to aggravate this? Is there anythign i could have done TO aggravate it?

Replies

• samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Sounds like a charlie horse (muscle cramping) the way you describe the pain.

Do you have proper shoes? I found this helped my shin splints after getting my running shoes fit for me at a local running store.

Maybe see a doctor if the pain persists?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Sounds like a charlie horse (muscle cramping) the way you describe the pain.

Do you have proper shoes? I found this helped my shin splints after getting my running shoes fit for me at a local running store.

Maybe see a doctor if the pain persists?

I do have proper shoes although I dont run.

The pain is still consistently happening almost 24 hours now. I've had Charlie horses before, but this doesn't feel the same.... :(
  • Hi there,
    I am an athletic trainer who has worked closely with doctors, surgeons, physical therapists, college athletes and pro athletes alike. Shin splints is an umbrella term. Basically given to any pain coming from the front of the lower leg. When you bring your foot or toes up as in towards your face, that is called dorsiflexion. Pointing your toes down like pushing the gas pedal is called plantar flexion. We do both of these hundreds or thousands of times a day walking and running. Anyway, the muscles that act when you dorsiflex are the in the front of the lower leg and the muscles that plantar flex are in the back. This is why it hurts when you dorsiflex. Not sure why you aggravated them doing back and tris though? Did you warm up with incline running? This is a common way to aggravate these muscles.
    Your treatment should be rest, massage, compression, NSAIDs, stretching, and ice. Rest meaning find an alternative way to workout without hurting this muscle group. Massage the area once a day to facilitate blood flow which will supply the area with much needed healing nutrients. Compression - Some patients and athletes find relief with wraps or tape. NSAIDs are a critical component to inflammatory injuries. They should be taken for 10 days not just the one time you are sore or hurt. Once you feel you are able bc the pain has subsided you can begin stretching. This muscle group is difficult to stretch but you basically want to point your toe. Sitting on your foot or manually pointing your toe are two options. Ice of course is a good option bc it dulls the pain and battles inflammation. Only apply the ice after a workout not before. A good idea is to freeze water in paper cups, then, ear away some paper and massage the area with the frozen block. Sounds counterintuitive but is widely used in PT. Finally, when you are completely pain free, send me a message and I will give you some strengthening exercises to strengthen the lower leg and ensure this doesn't happen again.

Whew hope this all helps.
  • Shoes certainly can be the culprit along with the surface you workout on.
    The kinetic chain principle suggests that everything begins from the floor and our feet. Bad shoes or feet can cause ailments as far up the body as the back and chest. Check out one of those stores that look at your feet before they sell you shoes. But don't fall for the bull**** when they try to sell you $500 shoes.

But, If you haven't ran hills, kicked a soccer ball, or walked on a treadmill on incline in months (which requires these muscles to contract several times at high rates) then you will certainly piss off this muscle group. Based on your pics, you are obviously in good shape. But, I run a lot and do INSANITY but if I go kick the soccer ball around with my students, I'm sore for days.